Don't hold your breath! 180+ Facilities on hiring freeze

Just to throw my hat in this ring a little bit....

Your local airports, and your companies that hire a couple of hundred people at a time, they are all hiring for one location. they probably have little to no input from outside sources and can review an app, set up an interview and make a decent judgement call on that app in about a week without breaking a sweat. The FAA has a rather different problem to deal with, several people have to review your app before it goes anywhere, testing has to take place before you go any further and then more people have to review your app and decide which facility (if any) to put you at before you even get an interview. (I am sure that I have only told 2 people reading this post something that they didn't already know, but seriously) Now honestly if any regular business did this they would probably fail to hire the most qualified apps because the most qualified apps would be picked up by the competition without having to wait....but wait, the FAA has no real competition. you want to be an ATC, you want a federal job, and you want it during one of the most economically stressful times in the past three decades? Get used to waiting and saying "yes sir, may I have another":banghead:

Just to throw my hat in this ring a little bit....

Your local airports, and your companies that hire a couple of hundred people at a time, they are all hiring for one location. they probably have little to no input from outside sources and can review an app, set up an interview and make a decent judgement call on that app in about a week without breaking a sweat. The FAA has a rather different problem to deal with, several people have to review your app before it goes anywhere, testing has to take place before you go any further and then more people have to review your app and decide which facility (if any) to put you at before you even get an interview. (I am sure that I have only told 2 people reading this post something that they didn't already know, but seriously) Now honestly if any regular business did this they would probably fail to hire the most qualified apps because the most qualified apps would be picked up by the competition without having to wait....but wait, the FAA has no real competition. you want to be an ATC, you want a federal job, and you want it during one of the most economically stressful times in the past three decades? Get used to waiting and saying "yes sir, may I have another":banghead:

Haha, very good post and very true. That definitely plays a big role. I wish the system was set up better than to have the agency pass your file around different offices in the country with each transfer taking 1-2 weeks for someone to look at it. But that's the way it is, so what are you gonna do...

I just really don't understand people bickering and fighting in this thread over the hiring process. This thread will not change "the system" no matter who has a better point on what should happen or not happen. I can relate to people blowing off a little steam though, and I wish people would not bash others for that. We are all stuck in this LONG hiring process, some longer than others. A lot of the arguing stems from people that have FOL's and people waiting on FOL's. It's easy to not complain when you have your FOL and class date when you applied after someone that doesn't. So if people want to vent, let them vent. I'm with you guys and I say it sucks too but this is my career so I'm willing to wait it out. It boils down to how badly you want the job. Hopefully when everything is done and everybody is at their facilities they can look back at the hiring process and laugh, as it will probably be a drop in the bucket to the stuff we will be going through with the conflict between FAA management and controller workforce.

Haha, very good post and very true. That definitely plays a big role. I wish the system was set up better than to have the agency pass your file around different offices in the country with each transfer taking 1-2 weeks for someone to look at it. But that's the way it is, so what are you gonna do...

I just really don't understand people bickering and fighting in this thread over the hiring process. This thread will not change "the system" no matter who has a better point on what should happen or not happen. I can relate to people blowing off a little steam though, and I wish people would not bash others for that. We are all stuck in this LONG hiring process, some longer than others. A lot of the arguing stems from people that have FOL's and people waiting on FOL's. It's easy to not complain when you have your FOL and class date when you applied after someone that doesn't. So if people want to vent, let them vent. I'm with you guys and I say it sucks too but this is my career so I'm willing to wait it out. It boils down to how badly you want the job. Hopefully when everything is done and everybody is at their facilities they can look back at the hiring process and laugh, as it will probably be a drop in the bucket to the stuff we will be going through with the conflict between FAA management and controller workforce.

There's conflict between FAA management and the controller workforce?!?! what?!?! :D

navcan huh? well seems interesting and all but canada? thats like a whole different country up there.

They just want to be sure that you will contribute to society and not cost the government any money by going on welfare or unemployment.

So you have to have a skill...or already have a job lined up.

I think it would be an interesting catch 22...can't get an ATC job offer without permanent residency; can't get permanent residency without an ATC job offer.

WOW! They have airports in canada? I thought it was just a bunch of people wandering around the woods dressed in flannel while drinking maple syrup and playing pick up games of hockey..eh?

Yeah and they ride a moose to the grocery store every morning. Then there's that funny French part in the East. Don't get me started on them...

Just thought I would share as hopefully this may happen for some of you guys as well:

I was told a month ago after being fully cleared that the FY 09 budget was depleted and I had to wait until FY 10 to receive a class date. I was very frustrated and did not want to accept this but I had no choice. I called the air traffic manager at my facility and spoke with him about my situation. He knew what was going on and stated he needed some new trainees and to hang in there. He asked if I would like to come in and see the facility which of course I answered yes. I received a call yesterday from my hr rep looking to schedule me for a class date. I will be in OKC may 5.

I would strongly urge you guys that are waiting to get in touch with your managers and meet with them if possible. I don't know if it will help get a class date faster but at least they can start to get to know you and see your enthusiasm and interest in this field. Good luck to everyone!

what facility are you located at? Is it true that they group facilities trainees together with the same class dates(makes sense to me)? If everyone would list what facility and what start date for OKC this could help people push for a certain date at OKC.

i think it depends what option you are going (terminal vs enroute). i think it is less true that terminal facilities group their developmentals together. there were quite a few people in my class that had people going to their same facility be a class or 2 ahead or behind ours. I think some terminial facilities like to stagger the people they have coming in so they dont have a bunch of people coming in at the same time, ive heard enroute will group together the trainees.

i think it depends what option you are going (terminal vs enroute). i think it is less true that terminal facilities group their developmentals together. there were quite a few people in my class that had people going to their same facility be a class or 2 ahead or behind ours. I think some terminial facilities like to stagger the people they have coming in so they dont have a bunch of people coming in at the same time, ive heard enroute will group together the trainees.

good post and good point. Great info to know, thanks. please disregared my statement earlier then, it might help stop the rumor mill from turning more.

I called today to hopefully get a status update. My HR rep (as I'm sure some of you who have the same person know) is out of the office so I called the number she had listed. There is still a hold on many facilities and there is no telling when it will be lifted. The man also said that the HR people involved with the process were very surprised about the hold the ATO issued. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's sooner than later. :)

Back