Does coming from a 141 school matter?

Delta still cares. It was made crystal clear at the OBAP Delta hiring brief that they care. I bumped into one of the Delta reps and OBAP and the first question they asked me..... "Where did you go to school...."

Or maybe, just maybe, they were trying to...ah who am I kidding. By the time they get to the tier I'm on, I'll be ready to retire.

ATP-R is about the only benefit of going 141 associated with a degree program of course.

I believe that's only a marginal benefit anyway. At a busy school, it's easy to clock 100+ hours per month which is only a 6 month difference between the 141/pro pilot schools and mom-and-pop.

So this was a debate at dinner the other night on a trip. Copilot felt that if you came from a 141 school you were superior in employers eyes. His argument was that if you weren't from a 141 school you would have a hard time getting hired at places because part 61 guys weren't as smart.

Obviously I don't agree being a part 61 guy but what has your guys careers shown? Does 141 matter in the part 91/135/121 world? Please when answering give specific examples if you can and what your background is in both schooling and aviation.

Ill start. I haven't seen any bias in aviation yet. The argument that 141 guys are smarter is ridiculous. I personally feel that if done right part 61 can produce a better pilot. For example during my part 61 training and time building I flew aerobatics, got a commercial glider rating, got a commercial seaplane rating, flew lots of different tailwheel planes. All things I feel broadened my bag of experience from which to draw from compared to a cookie cutter part 141 graduate. Now I am not anti 141 by any means. A few of the best pilots I have flown with have come from 141 schools. I just don't believe that 141 have any significant advantage over part 61 if the part 61 guy is willing to go above and beyond to get the extra experience.

My background I am 26 and currently am a captain on a King Air B200 in 135 passenger operations.

Please keep responses civil
FACTS:

There's captains at Southwest that got hired with no 4 year degrees.

There's pilots at Delta that got hired with no PIC time.

There's millionaires that have dropped out of high school.

It can go on and on. The point is life/your career can go in many different directions but 141 vs 61 has no bearing whatsoever on it.

I flew with a lot of FOs at Skywest that had $100+k in debt going that route. I had 0 and went 61. It's all in how you network and schmooze on the interview.

Back