Does coming from a 141 school matter?

Delta cares. Straight from Delta hiring department trained individual working for Endeavor.
Any examples? Curious as to what their hiring guidelines for it are. I only know two guys there both 61 non military hard to think they were the fluke lucky ones

Delta cares. Straight from Delta hiring department trained individual working for Endeavor.

Most hiring departments care, as there's a proven correlation between 141 training and success in airline training. But the regionals are hurting so badly now that they care less. Delta is not hurting, but by the time you get to that level your primary training carries less weight than your other qualifications.

Before I get flamed, I'm not saying that part 61 guys are bad and 141 guys are good. I'm just saying that when you look at the data, on average 141 guys require fewer extra sims and wash out less frequently.

Any examples? Curious as to what their hiring guidelines for it are. I only know two guys there both 61 non military hard to think they were the fluke lucky ones

It probably isn't a big up or down to your application. It's just one of the factors they consider.

I was at a party in TUlsa back in flight school days. It was one of those pilot sausage fests with about a 30% ratio of townie girls thrown in. As I'm walking from the keg back to the group of chicks I was with I heard this conversation take place amongst a group a guys so lame I wouldn't be surprised if they had E6Bs in their pockets (also all Spartan students living in the spartan apartments)

Spartan dick: Ya I was #2 in line today for 1L and this idiot in front of me was taking forever. He just kept screwing up all his radio calls.
Spartan dick's buddy: Ja he was probably from TCC or something I bet...
Spartan Dick: Ya bro you could TOTALLY tell that he was a Part 61 pilot.
All Spartan Dicks: HARHARHAR (backs slapped).

I quickly proceeded to insult them all in one fell swoop and pointed out there were girls at the party yet they were jerking each other off.

Nope. Straight from a recruiter. I wish I was sarcastic.
"Another bourbon, F/O Blue?"
"Yes please."
a_560x375.jpg

It doesn't really matter. A 141 could give you a slight time advantage that could win seniority down the road. However, bad luck or timing resulting in a furlough or bankruptcy could screw up what little advantages a 141 school offers in a single moment.

Aviation really is all about luck, at least I am convinced of that. If I had flown with a different training captain on my first rotation at my last job I would likely still be there and would have avoided 99% of the bad experiences that I had there. It all came down to a simple crew pairing which resulted in a personality conflict. A lot of trash talking followed me for my entire experience at my former employer. I wish it hadn't gone down that way but it was just bad luck. I had to come up with a new plan and move on.

Flight training had nothing to do with it.

I wouldn't choose a school based on 141 vs 61. Choose a school that is close to you, with a structured program, good instructors that won't break your budget (if possible).

Luck and personal relationships matter FAR more. My point from earlier posts was only that yes, hiring departments do care to some degree. And training success does relate to some extent to the rigor of your training. A structured part 61 school will do the same job as a structured 141 school. The trick is picking the right part 61 school. On average, part 61 is less structured (kinda by definition).

I wouldn't choose a school based on 141 vs 61. Choose a school that is close to you, with a structured program, good instructors that won't break your budget (if possible).

Luck and personal relationships matter FAR more. My point from earlier posts was only that yes, hiring departments do care to some degree. And training success does relate to some extent to the rigor of your training. A structured part 61 school will do the same job as a structured 141 school. The trick is picking the right part 61 school. On average, part 61 is less structured (kinda by definition).
I am where I am because of my friends. Go somewhere that's cheap, where they will by god teach you to FLY! and have a good time doing it.

Repeat, ad infinitum.

So this was a debate at dinner the other night on a trip. Copilot felt that if you came from a 141 school you were superior in employers eyes. His argument was that if you weren't from a 141 school you would have a hard time getting hired at places because part 61 guys weren't as smart.

Obviously I don't agree being a part 61 guy but what has your guys careers shown? Does 141 matter in the part 91/135/121 world? Please when answering give specific examples if you can and what your background is in both schooling and aviation.

Ill start. I haven't seen any bias in aviation yet. The argument that 141 guys are smarter is ridiculous. I personally feel that if done right part 61 can produce a better pilot. For example during my part 61 training and time building I flew aerobatics, got a commercial glider rating, got a commercial seaplane rating, flew lots of different tailwheel planes. All things I feel broadened my bag of experience from which to draw from compared to a cookie cutter part 141 graduate. Now I am not anti 141 by any means. A few of the best pilots I have flown with have come from 141 schools. I just don't believe that 141 have any significant advantage over part 61 if the part 61 guy is willing to go above and beyond to get the extra experience.

My background I am 26 and currently am a captain on a King Air B200 in 135 passenger operations.

Please keep responses civil

Yes and no.

It really depends on who is doing the hiring at the time you're looking.

I'm a big believer in state schools and training on the side instead of collegiate aviation. However, my employer favors collegiate aviation and the structure of 141 — why that matters after a few thousand hours and at this level is somewhat befuddling, but it's what I was told by Caesar in the coliseum.

It matters to people who it matters to. It doesn't to those that don't think it matters.

I thought a pulse and 1500 hours is what gets you hired.
We would prefer that you be able to go to Canadia without a problem. And that we can see ourselves occupying a small space with you for four straight days (maybe five) without wanting to bear down with our thumbs upon you by day 3. And that despite your "considerable" (LOL) aviation experience at 1,500 hours, you be able to bend yourself to the standard operating procedures and culture of this airline. And not fail training. And do the right thing when nobody is looking. And so on.

So, no, but it certainly helps.

Graduated from a 141 school 13 years ago....have yet to see it matter in terms of my career. I'm not an airline type though, so I can't speak to that side of things.

No it doesn't matter. Although regionals will search high and low to see if your degree is on the R-ATP list for reduced hours. I got a call from a regional and had to explain why my school has yet to get my degree on the list...

I teach 141. I had a student who had his private and instrument done 61. He realized that he would be better off leaving because it was too late to do 141 without some serious back tracking. He has since left, is flying Sky divers in multi turbines, getting in on some corporate gigs and about to take his check-ride for his CFI. If he was still at our school, he would just now be getting his commercial multi... He's a shining example of how it doesn't matter if you're 141 or 61. It only matters what's printed on the plastic, and your ability to network.

With that said, I will say there is definitely a more consistent product with 141 training, and weak areas are far less likely to go unnoticed (at least where I teach). 141 can definitely build a solid foundation, but at a much higher price.

Last edited:
Yes and no.

It really depends on who is doing the hiring at the time you're looking.

I'm a big believer in state schools and training on the side instead of collegiate aviation. However, my employer favors collegiate aviation and the structure of 141 — why that matters after a few thousand hours and at this level is somewhat befuddling, but it's what I was told by Caesar in the coliseum.

It matters to people who it matters to. It doesn't to those that don't think it matters.

Oddly enough, most of the flight schools around these parts have had bad enough experiences with part 141 trained CFI's that they avoid them for the most part. At least the ones that I deal with regularly.

Back