Does Airline Pilot Age Rule Need Revisiting?

Kingairer said:
We won't ever go back to 60, but maybe this, and others , will put a stop to the guys saying 67 or no limit at all.
Also raise the min age to 32 (I just picked a number) to bring more professionalism to the cockpit. No iPods or backpacks either.

Reactions: Tld
There have been something like 5 in flight deaths since the mid 1990's for airline pilots. I'd say that is a pretty good indicator we don't have a problem. To me it more proves that when it's your time to go it's your time to go. No matter when your last medical was, you could go have a coronary walking out the door after a spotless ECG.

Also raise the min age 32 to bring more professionalism to the cockpit. No iPods or backpacks either.
I want to print this off and give it to the next mainline (any) captain I find with a backpack on his roller and white earbuds in his ears.

Also I'm 32 years old and I listen to podcasts almost constantly on the road if I'm not directly in the view of the public. Once I throw on the polo shirt on the way home, and sometimes the way up, I don't give a damn anymore, I'm in full commute mode (comic books, magazines, kindle, earbuds, farting next to old women at 37,000ft and blaming it on the slob in front of me). I sometimes even have to drag that stupid flight case home with me. Honey-badger don't care!

It's not a profession anymore, stop treating it that way. It's just a job, that's going to be good sometimes and crappy the others which will never pay you a constant amount or provide for your retirement unless you do it yourself. You're not valued, you're not special, and if you die from a heart attack in the cockpit they'll activate the reserve. Only rules? No one wins when the passenger loses. Avoid the base managers office at all cost. Keep out of debt.

jynxyjoe said:
It's not a profession anymore, stop treating it that way. It's just a job, that's going to be good sometimes and crappy the others which will never pay you a constant amount or provide for your retirement unless you do it yourself. You're not valued, you're not special, and if you die from a heart attack in the cockpit they'll activate the reserve. Only rules? No one wins when the passenger loses. Avoid the base managers office at all cost. Keep out of debt.

EXACTLY what management wants you to think. Kinda like motor oil.

EXACTLY what management wants you to think. Kinda like motor oil.
Hehe. I suit theories to facts. There are an over abundance of pilots, someday that may change, but for now we are easily replaced. Waco's motor oil crap aside, when there are a lot of fish in the sea the price of fish go down. Economics.

I hope that you act true to yourself. If that, for you, is acting with the upmost in professional standards at all times then by God do what makes you happy. I've got a young man at the grocery store that does the same thing he's about 19. The profession won't turn around because we hope for it, or because we get on JC and bitch about it. Hell, even Moak gives up. Some day economics may change, I think they have to change, but for now be true to yourself. Me? I'm truly folksy and professionalism in this field feels like I'm lying to myself. I do my best to be nice (though I do fail), and I think safety is a very real thing to aspire to. But I've worked a lot of jobs, and I've been on different countries working, and I've seen the people I want to be like. The guy who pretends in his own self importance isn't it.

Work hard, be safe, make jokes and light smokes. Everything else is style points as far as I'm concerned.

Hehe. I suit theories to facts. There are an over abundance of pilots, someday that may change, but for now we are easily replaced. Waco's motor oil crap aside, when there are a lot of fish in the sea the price of fish go down. Economics.

Exactly. Make the pool smaller and at an age that most will NOT take the $2x/hr assignment, which would also help the industry.

I hope that you act true to yourself. If that, for you, is acting with the upmost in professional standards at all times then by God do what makes you happy.

I do, and people that know me, know I do.

This seems like it could be pretty easily solved by an actuary...the only political question should be "how much risk is too much". Obviously, we're more likely to keel over as we get older, as, IMS, no one gets out alive. And the information couldn't be more accessible. Get some statisticians on it, present the findings, and have an earnest, public conversation on the statistical likelihood of "death behind the yoke" (vs., say, the statistical likelihood of youthful indiscretion or pulling through the pusher and crashing the airplane) Of course that will never happen, because, like most "Safety" arguments, it's not really about Safety at all...at least not the Safety of the passengers.

Personally, I suspect that the benefits of having highly experienced pilots up front far outweigh the possibility that they might meet St. Peter at any given moment, but that's a suspicion, and why trade on that when we have reams and reams of data?

You're absolutely correct. However, I think death or incapacitation is not a serious risk fact in a two-pilot crew. It only takes one pilot to safely complete a flight and the odds of both pilots becoming incapacitated for some preexisting condition on the same flight is infinitesimal. If anything, the rules should be focused on single pilot operations, not the typical 121 operation.

The heart attack scenario is a headline grabber, but the more serious and more insidious problem is the decrease in cognitive skills and abilities with age. That is the safety issue that begs for testing and peer evaluation.

Unfortantly yes. People said I couldn't bitch if I wasn't in the game. So, only way to help make it better is to get into the game right? 8)

It seems a lot of the complaining on here from those that have a lot of advice on how things should be are finding out how hard it is to get a break to even get started.

Sure easy to aim at the $7x/hr job, but pretty hard to get.

That would be DH carrying his government issued equipment.
100% of them? nooooooooo. Ive had the pleasure of sitting in the JS dtw or jfk to ATL many times with guys pulling snacks out of their backpacks and feeding my broke ass all kinds of goodies. Laptops, snacks, book, more snacks? Yes.

100% of them? nooooooooo. Ive had the pleasure of sitting in the JS dtw or jfk to ATL many times with guys pulling snacks out of their backpacks and feeding my broke ass all kinds of goodies. Laptops, snacks, book, more snacks? Yes.
I didn't say 100% of them! you did. I said my DH is one of them and I dare you to give him a print out! :)

? Alright whatever works. Anyway, backpacks are fine even for the professionals. Added points if I get popcorn chips or wasabi almonds.

Back