Does Airline Pilot Age Rule Need Revisiting?

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
From http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog...-does-airline-pilot-age-rule-need-revisiting/

In-Flight Heart Attack Risk: Does Airline Pilot Age Rule Need Revisiting?

Airline pilots and safety investigators I’ve spoken with thought the same thing when they first saw news reports that a United Airlines Captain had suffered a heart attack on a flight from Houston to Seattle, which made an emergency landing in Boise, Idaho. First, of course, the hope that the pilot would be alright (unfortunately he later died). Second, the hope that he was not over age 60, which could re-ignite a long, fought battle over the age at which airline pilots have to stop flying.

Most fliers, even frequent fliers, are not aware of the battle that raged over the so-called age-60 rule which forced many an excellent pilot – physically, as well as mentally – from our nation’s airline cockpits solely by virtue of turning 60. Since the rule was first enacted by the FAA in 1959, until it was changed by an act of Congress in 2007 to age 65, the arbitrary cut-off at age 60 provoked intense debate among airlines, unions representing pilots, government regulatory agencies and the medical establishment.

The pilot of United Flight 1603 was indeed over age 60. News reports listed his age as 63. And some media reports have already raised the possibility that his age may cause regulatory agencies to take another look at the age rule. I hope that isn’t the case. The age 60 rule was always an arbitrary cut-off and kept many of the most experienced pilots from flying. It took years to get Congress to pass The Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilots Act. The FAA supported the act and stated in a press release at the time that it welcomed passage of the law because it enabled “some of the most experienced pilots to keep flying.” The law today allows both airline pilots to be over age 60 on domestic flights; international flights, in compliance with standards set by ICAO, require one pilot to be under the age of 60.

Airline pilots are subjected to some of the most rigorous medical requirements of any profession. They are required to take physicals every 12 months until age 40 and then every 6 months. Those physicals require electrocardiograms at age 35 and every year after age 40. The number of medical in-flight emergencies involving airline pilots is miniscule – both before and after the change to the age rule in 2007. This incident should not be the basis for any re-visiting of the age rule. However, there should be a rigorous look at whether any medical signs were missed during this particular pilot’s last exam.

Nah, there are guys over 60 who are more in shape than those in their 20s.

Finally, something you posted I can agree with. A heart attack is a fluke event usually. I had a friend a few years ago, in his mid 30's, in better than excellent health (he did Triathlon's for Pete's sake!), never did any drugs, and was the spitting image health, die from a major heart attack. He was at home relaxing with his wife and kids when it happened.

Its unfortunate that a pilot had a heart attack while in flight, and even more unfortunate that he later passed away. But the flight still landed safely. With just one pilot. The odds of winning the powerball is most likely better than both pilots suffering a medical episode during flight.

I also know many many older gentlemen that are in much better shape than myself and I'm only 27. A change back to an age 60 retirement would most likely never happen, and even if it did it would take a few years to accomplish and all airlines would fight it, especially with the new rest rules as they would lose a good chunk of their workforce.

Its unfortunate that a pilot had a heart attack while in flight, and even more unfortunate that he later passed away. But the flight still landed safely. With just one pilot.

I understand that one of the passengers who was type rated in the airplane and instructed in it came forward to assist. However, I am certain it would have landed just as safely had he not been there. I

Nah, there are guys over 60 who are more in shape than those in their 20s.
My old man is the spitting image of health at 59. I'm pretty sure that in any physical activity he could kick my 20-something ass.

Stay fit. Or get fit. You'll love it. Right, @Gonzo?

SSSSSSEENT FFFFROMM FMS KEYBOAAAAAAARDDDDD

But the flight still landed safely. With just one pilot.

I have it on good authority that without someone to read the checklist and verify compliance while someone else flies and accomplishes the checklist items, set the radios and avionics, and someone to listen to the approach brief, it is not possible to safely operate a large aircraft.

I have it on good authority that without someone to read the checklist and verify compliance while someone else flies and accomplishes the checklist items, set the radios and avionics, and someone to listen to the approach brief, it is not possible to safely operate a large aircraft.

Come on dude. Act like a grown up a bit. We don't talk smack about what you do. As much as an airplane is an airplane, I'll bet I could swamp your ass just as quick in my machine as you could swamp mine in yours. And we're both experienced pilots.

Gents; lighten up a bit. Everybody. Sheesh.

............But all of you would suck in a rotary wing. This is skill.....:)

I dunno. I sat behind rotary wing aviators for nearly nine years, and the level of 'skill' demonstrated was greatly varied. I saw some that were true artists with a cyclic, and a few that I wouldn't let near a game of Choplifter on Sega. The type matters a lot, too- I'd be an NTSB report in a TH-67, but I could go get in a UH-60 right now and be through ETL before anybody noticed the logbook was gone.

Besides, the entire sidebar is a load of crap. Helicopters don't fly, they're so ugly the Earth repels them...

h6701A7CD

As for the original subject matter.... One event is hardly statistically relevant. After all the nutroll of making the change 5 years ago, going back the other way would just seem like nobody really knew what was what back then.

... or is the implication entirely political and was there no medical justification to the age extension?

As for the original subject matter.... One event is hardly statistically relevant. After all the nutroll of making the change 5 years ago, going back the other way would just seem like nobody really knew what was what back then.

... or is the implication entirely political and was there no medical justification to the age extension?
There was no medical justification for the age 60 to begin with.

There was no medical justification for the age 60 to begin with.

Good point. So it was 'out with the geezers, and out of my seat!' all the while. ... but the argument against extending it to 65 was based on medical reasoning, correct? Or do people just not want to say what they really mean?

C'mon man, I generally agree with you and respect you for what you do but any of the 121 guys on here could say that's just because they're directly responsible for the lives of 200 people, whereas you've got 2. It's a stupid statement all the same, you can't assume you're better than someone just because they do something differently.

Good point. So it was 'out with the geezers, and out of my seat!' all the while. ... but the argument against extending it to 65 was based on medical reasoning, correct? Or do people just not want to say what they really mean?
People don't want to say what they mean, on both sides.

Back