Does Airline Pilot Age Rule Need Revisiting?

I think it's kind of odd that there's a debate between tactical fighter types and airline transport types debating skill... It's apples and oranges, all the way. It's two different procedural sets used to address the priorities of two very different mission parameters.

Either takes skill and situation awareness.

I think it's kind of odd that there's a debate between tactical fighter types and airline transport types debating skill... It's apples and oranges, all the way. It's two different procedural sets used to address the priorities of two very different mission parameters.

Either takes skill and situation awareness.

Indeed...it was a joke. Some seriously thin skin 'round here.

C'mon, you guys are better than that. You're supposed to jab back.

080.jpg

C'mon, you guys are better than that. You're supposed to jab back.
How the hell can you jab back at someone who does the kind of flying that would make a lot of the rest of us puke and whimper? lmao

How the hell can you jab back at someone who does the kind of flying that would make a lot of the rest of us puke and whimper? lmao

Judging from what I read on APC, it usually has to do with someone named "Kernel", something about wearing scarves or ascots, and something to do with "enough about me, let's talk about the jet I used to fly", and something to do with Academy rings and/or what class/squadron at the Academy he/she/it was in.

Seems like plenty fertile ground!

This pilot "appeared to be 300 pounds".....that's enough explanation for me. This was s fluke event like a lot of other pilot incapacitations. It's tragic that he died but Jesus take care of yourself better. Barely fitting into the cockpit should be an indication.

We won't ever go back to 60, but maybe this, and others , will put a stop to the guys saying 67 or no limit at all.
Just for fun... Why? So far we see many overweight, unhealthy pilots under 60. You will see the healthy ones self select to stay in the game. As for the sudden heart attack, unfortunately we have seen many young people die as well. Personally, our good friend suffered a heart attack in his early 50's.

As so many have said on here, age isn't always the best indication of a person's health. Last I heard, in the land down under, you fly until you fail a medical exam or can no longer hold a medical for some reason. Thus far, I haven't heard of a Qantas pilot droping dead at the controls, and I would support that over here.

Of course, if that were the case, the airlines couldn't plan as well for retirements which is something I've always figured keeps the age limit around.

Last edited:
This is my dad....he was a navy pilot but never flew 121. He is exactly 66 years old. (Way to go Dad, most fit person I know, like 3% body fat or something crazy like that...photo taken last week.) Though, he suffered a heart attack at age 38 while surfing. To echo @ChasenSFO , age is not necessarily the best indicator of health, on EITHER end of the spectrum. My pops is proof. At 38 he could have held a medical and been flying....today, he would apparently be too "old." Not sure what the solution is, there must be some limits, but a blanket rule definitely doesn't cover the outliers.

Last edited:
Just for fun... Why? So far we see many overweight, unhealthy pilots under 60. You will see the healthy ones self select to stay in the game. As for the sudden heart attack, unfortunately we have seen many young people die as well. Personally, our good friend suffered a heart attack in his early 50's.
Why have an age limit to get a private pilots license or an ATP?

Judging from what I read on APC, it usually has to do with someone named "Kernel", something about wearing scarves or ascots, and something to do with "enough about me, let's talk about the jet I used to fly", and something to do with Academy rings and/or what class/squadron at the Academy he/she/it was in.

Seems like plenty fertile ground!
You guys wear scarves? That's...special.

(The Navy carrier jab is "How about landing in a crosswind, Your Airworthiness?")

Back