Do you use your fancy call sign on CTAF?

Not a freight dawg anymore but its pretty much standard practice to go like:

"Kitten City Traffic, Airshuttle 7091 is a De Havilland Dash-8 two five miles northeast inbound for left traffic for runway 15."

Or some deriviative of that, thats what I do when we go to CTAF which is often.

Thats what I do..just leave out the "is a".

Like, so do you say "Amflight 456", or "Navajo [tail number]" when you're transmitting to a closed tower frequency, or a uncontrolled field? Theres this captain I fly with who is totally anal about me saying our type and tail number instead of our fancy FAA sanctioned callsign. He'll even go as far as make me say the whole entire transmission over again if I accidentally use the fancy one.

One day I looked it up in the AIM, and I couldn't find it anywhere where it says to do this. Basically it says if you have a fancy call sign, then use it. If you don't, then use your type and tail number. If anything, changing your callsign when you are handed off to a CTAF can be seen as trying to obscure your identity and is more likely to get you in trouble.

The way I see it, your call sign is your call sign. If you want to convey to everyone your type, then add "...is a Piper Navajo" at the end of your first transmission or something.

I ask this question of this forum because I imagine a lot more people that fly 135 freight go into uncontrolled airfields and have fancy call signs than any other sector of the industry.

"West Side, Spernak 38, mouth of the beluga, 1000' southwest."

Callsign. Type if I feel it's appropriate or helpful.

Also: If you're VFR it's your job to see and avoid. I'll be glad to try to help by giving you an idea where I am, but please do not harangue me because you feel as though my position reports fail to meet your criteria. Your responsability is to be able to see and avoid a nordo space shuttle. So if you don't like the way I use the radio, just pretend I don't have one.

At Colgan we go into a ton of uncontrolled fields. I normally say "XX Traffic, Colgan a Saab 340 Turbo Prop........ "

Also: If you're VFR it's your job to see and avoid. I'll be glad to try to help by giving you an idea where I am, but please do not harangue me because you feel as though my position reports fail to meet your criteria. Your responsability is to be able to see and avoid a nordo space shuttle. So if you don't like the way I use the radio, just pretend I don't have one.

it is EVERYONE'S job to see and avoid, VFR, IFR, it really doesn't matter

Sure, if I'm in VMC, it's my job too. I've had guys pull up to the ramp on a marginal VFR day when they're doing slam and goes and tell me that I need to tell them my distance and bearing from the field, what type of airplane I'm flying, my approach speed, and what I had for breakfast. Meanwhile when I called, I was still IMC, I'd never been to the field before (what? "I think I'm near the smokestack except I can't see anything"?), I'm doing the Vne of their trainer, I've got seventeen things to do to get configured because center forgot about me and left me at 250, etc etc.

I make every effort to try to be a good "citizen" at uncontrolled fields, but I grow tired of the make-up-a-rule nazis. The AIM is advisory. You try to do what it tells you but it's not always feasible, let alone doing seventeen other things that each self-appointed apparatchik thinks you should. In the end you stay alive because you use common sense. So use it.

I make every effort to try to be a good "citizen" at uncontrolled fields, but I grow tired of the make-up-a-rule nazis.

AMEN!

If it's VMC, you should be looking out the window most of the time. If it's IMC, you shouldn't be there if I'm on the approach. It's pretty simple really.

I'll fly my airplane first, then worry about the other stuff.

-mini

Sure, if I'm in VMC, it's my job too. I've had guys pull up to the ramp on a marginal VFR day when they're doing slam and goes and tell me that I need to tell them my distance and bearing from the field, what type of airplane I'm flying, my approach speed, and what I had for breakfast. Meanwhile when I called, I was still IMC, I'd never been to the field before (what? "I think I'm near the smokestack except I can't see anything"?), I'm doing the Vne of their trainer, I've got seventeen things to do to get configured because center forgot about me and left me at 250, etc etc.

I make every effort to try to be a good "citizen" at uncontrolled fields, but I grow tired of the make-up-a-rule nazis. The AIM is advisory. You try to do what it tells you but it's not always feasible, let alone doing seventeen other things that each self-appointed apparatchik thinks you should. In the end you stay alive because you use common sense. So use it.
i agree with that, i am not one of those types who yells at others for not stating their type. I don't always state my type when entering a traffic pattern either. If i remember i do, but i know if it is all other GA a/c then it doesn't matter. sure my Seminole may go faster coming in, but in the downwind i am roughly the same speed

i agree with that, i am not one of those types who yells at others for not stating their type. I don't always state my type when entering a traffic pattern either. If i remember i do, but i know if it is all other GA a/c then it doesn't matter. sure my Seminole may go faster coming in, but in the downwind i am roughly the same speed

This was always slightly one of my pet peeves in aviation. If you call up that N12345 is entering the pattern... other traffic doesn't know whether are you a Learjet, or whether you are you a 150, etc? I couldn't care less about your numbers, that means nothing to me.

You may know your Seminole doesn't go much faster, but other traffic won't know what to expect unless you tell them. I'm of the mindset that if you're going to just say one thing, say your type, that way other aircraft know what kind of plane to look for and roughly what your performance is like.

Likewise, simply using your callsign "Newark Heath traffic, Starcheck 123 is inbound" does nothing either. If there's someone in the pattern they would probably wonder wtf is a Starcheck? That's why, even though it's not in the AIM, stating "Starcheck 123, a Baron, ..." does the most to aid other pilots situational awareness IMHO.

This was always slightly one of my pet peeves in aviation. If you call up that N12345 is entering the pattern... other traffic doesn't know whether are you a Learjet, or whether you are you a 150, etc? I couldn't care less about your numbers, that means nothing to me.

You may know your Seminole doesn't go much faster, but other traffic won't know what to expect unless you tell them. I'm of the mindset that if you're going to just say one thing, say your type, that way other aircraft know what kind of plane to look for and roughly what your performance is like.

Likewise, simply using your callsign "Newark Heath traffic, Starcheck 123 is inbound" does nothing either. If there's someone in the pattern they would probably wonder wtf is a Starcheck? That's why, even though it's not in the AIM, stating "Starcheck 123, a Baron, ..." does the most to aid other pilots situational awareness IMHO.
Well if i am renting an airplane and then there fore do not have an approved call signed, I always use for example " Archer 113SW is 10 miles southest, inbound"

now at the school i get lazy, "Sioux 99 is 10 miles southeast inbound" what the hell is a Sioux 99? a Seminole

Whenever I go into an uncontrolled field, I'll say, "Podunk Airfield, Ripsaw 9, a MILITARY T-6, Is 3200 MSL over midfield doing a left spiral to land, Podunk."

I throw that MILITARY in there so they know if they get in my way I'll shoot em! :) (So what that a T-6 has no chaff, flares, weapons, or anything else!)

Likewise, simply using your callsign "Newark Heath traffic, Starcheck 123 is inbound" does nothing either. If there's someone in the pattern they would probably wonder wtf is a Starcheck?

For everyone that would wonder "wtf is a Starcheck?" there's someone that would wonder "wtf is a seminole?".

Using your type doesn't guarantee an added level of situational awareness. Looking out the window for the traffic can help a ton though.

-mini

Yes, but a seminole is a real airplane and a starcheck is not. ;)

Maybe it just comes from almost being killed twice by idiots in jets, one of which was a Challenger that announces "5 out" without saying their type, while he is blowing over the field at 1000' as I am turning downwind.

I always say something like, "Macho Grande traffic Ramex 521, a Piper Seneca, left downwind runway 18, Macho Grande." I think it does help if other traffic in the pattern has some idea of what kind of airplane you are flying.

Back