Do you use your fancy call sign on CTAF?

perhaps if we announce the weight, category, and class of our aircraft, plus vref or 1.3vs0 then people will be okay. :sarcasm:

if you hear others in the traffic area be kind and help them out. you lose nothing by helping others out. remember where most of us came from.

Help them out how? Everybody shares the responsibility to see and avoid equally.

fine. live like that its your choice. if it doesnt kill you just help others out. not asking you to tell all the specifics but a quick we are a gulfstream IV that helps.

perhaps if we announce the weight, category, and class of our aircraft, plus vref or 1.3vs0 then people will be okay. :sarcasm:

Eek Traffic, AceAir 22, 17,600lbs beech 1900 airliner, twin turboprop requires a type rating, Vfref is 125, by the way, I'm ten out oops now 3 out making overhead traffic. Eek.

Not sure how "fancy" my callsign is, but yes that is what I use on the radio. I'll also say my type on initial callup as a courtesy, but I won't say the tail number (who cares about that, really?) Besides, if you can't see us in the pattern, you need to see the flight doc :D

I only offer my type unless there is a similar type in the area. Anything beyond that, including tail numbers, seems useless to me.

If it's the responsibility of the airplanes in the pattern to see and avoid, it's also the responsibility of the airplane coming in to let themselves be seen. I've had jet pilots act like they're doing my a favor letting me listen to their voice over the radio while tearing sky on a straight in.

The important thing is to go with what works. If I'm flying for work, I just do as I'm told. Model and N number, we don't have a call sign. If I'm flying GA somewhere busy, I go with model and color. Think about which gets across more information.

"Schellville traffic, Piper (could be a Cub, Seminole or Meridian) 65K (number they'll forget) left base..."

"Schellville traffic, Blue (now their 5 year old daughter can help find me) Clipper (you know my airplane and approximate speed) left base...

Yea, I remember flying C-172s in College Station a few years ago. The tower would close at night before the last Jetlink flight came in (or maybe they were doing training up there). But anyway, once those guys entered the pattern, they acted like they owned the place without regard to the pattern priorities. Now that I fly military/Part 121, I can understand why guys do this; they're used to always being under positive ATC control and assume everything is clear when the get there. Of course this doesn't make their assumptions right.

Back