Do you think?

I now I asked a similar question to this but, If I worked my hardest, do you think I can work for a major airline at the age of 24? Do you think this is a good timeline to work for a major airline at age 24?

at age 17 get my private
at age 18 get my commercial
at age 18 get my insrtument
at age 18 get my multi
at age 19 get my all my CFI ratings.
at age 19-20 instruct
at age 21 work for regional
at age 24 work for a major airline

[ QUOTE ]
I now I asked a similar question to this but, If I worked my hardest, do you think I can work for a major airline at the age of 24? Do you think this is a good timeline to work for a major airline at age 24?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to include three very important variables:

)Luck

)Timing

and

)Will the major airlines be hiring when you're ready

These are things beyond your control.

It's nice to set goals but you may be setting yourself up for disappointment with such an aggressive timeline.

That might have worked in the late 90's if your timing was perfect and you were lucky. I don't see it in this day and age. I would also suggest you get a college degree. A300Capt's answer is right on.

On the other hand....I wonder how many big academy or PFT schools would tell you this time line is not only possible if you do their program, but that there is a pilot shortage, too.

How do you plan to pay for it?

You'll get there eventually if that's where you want to be; but why does it have to be rushed and all planned out? You might not enjoy a fair amount of your training because it will always be a race against the clock.

No.

Assuming you are "given" free training, you still need a 4 year degree. Last time I checked, any 4-year degree that is halfway respectable took 4 years to complete. Geez now that I think about it, mine took 5 years! I suppose you could get it done a semester sooner but wouldnt you want to have a life? You could always do two summer semesters if you want to have no life at all in the summers.

Get the degree else you're going to be a grumpy 21 year old complaining about why no one will hire you.

A vast majority of the people you will be competing with for a job will have a bachelor's degree.

You can do a degree online in your down time.

I say get it done and over with, and the sooner the better! We are SO regretting Corbin's laid back approach over the last years, it's a lot harder to have the time when you are married and have children. So if you can get your training done and your degree, by the time you are 24-26ish, I think you will be in great shape and will be able to enjoy your family a lot more (assuming that's what you want.)
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think this is a good timeline to work for a major airline at age 24?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the big hurry? Afraid you'll be dead by 30? Look, I'm 20, and still have a year to go with school. I plan on getting out, instructing for however long it takes to get hired by a regional/charter/cargo operation, taking my time there, then heading over to a major passenger/cargo airline. I can't even give you a timeframe on all of this, or whether that's what I'll actually do.

Trust me, I had the same sort of "schedule" that you did when I first started. I think once you start progressing, you'll get less and less picky.

Just relax and enjoy what you do!

Take your time, get a good education and thorough flight training and have fun! Things should fall into place from there.

You have PLENTY of time... didn't you say you were in 8th grade if I'm not mistaken. Relax.. you still have all of HS!!

I don’t know if taking your time is the right approach, I think that anyone that wants to get a job now or in the future should try to hurry up and get qualify as soon as possible.
It’s better to be ready, even if you don’t think you can get a job in the near future.
In my case I just finish my instrument rating and I see some people are staring to get jobs again. I afraid by the time I’m ready the hiring would be over again.

[ QUOTE ]
Why not get your Multi/Private at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Soo...we're going to have 17 year old highschoolers with 50 total time rompin' around in multis. Riiight...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Soo...we're going to have 17 year old highschoolers with 50 total time rompin' around in multis. Riiight...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he went to All ATPs, wouldn't he be doing that very thing??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's different then 200 hour pilots cruising around at 600 knots in an F16 how.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Training, maybe. Kid, you can't make the comparison between civvy and mil training. Though I think a 17 year old can physically fly a multi around, I wouldn't say they're up to mil standards.

Back