Do you still fly for fun?

I still do. I still own my 170 and I don't get to go as much as I would want to but I still love all of aviation. In fact I would like to get into more GA stuff if I could. I am surprised as many of the guys on here that fly 121 still do. I feel like most of the guys I fly with don't give two craps about ever doing it again.

With that being said, I love all types of flying. Of course I b**tch as much as the next person about working long hours and messed up schedules but the truth is everytime I go flying I love every minute of it!! A lot of people told me before I got hired that after a year I would hate it and wish I was doing something else. Well after a year and a half, and 1000hrs in the RJ I still look forward to going flying and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

As I stated earlier I want to get into more GA flying when I get time. Unfortuantly commuting I really don't have the time to devote but whenever I stop commuting thats exactly what I want to do. I would love to somehow get some type ratings in some old warbirds and fly them to air shows and stuff. Don't know if it will ever happen but I would like to try. CHEERS

i all ready miss flying for fun and i still fly the small stuff. I get really tired of going out and doing the same maneuvers over and over for the past couple years in college. wish i had money to rent and just take friends up and go fly around with no syllabus to follow.

i all ready miss flying for fun and i still fly the small stuff. I get really tired of going out and doing the same maneuvers over and over for the past couple years in college. wish i had money to rent and just take friends up and go fly around with no syllabus to follow.
No joke man. It's just too expensive but I'd love to just fly for the hell of it once.

With that being said, I love all types of flying. Of course I b**tch as much as the next person about working long hours and messed up schedules but the truth is everytime I go flying I love every minute of it!! A lot of people told me before I got hired that after a year I would hate it and wish I was doing something else. Well after a year and a half, and 1000hrs in the RJ I still look forward to going flying and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

A VERY BIG :yeahthat:

Back on topic. I would if I could afford it, and if I could understand all the regs now with the TFRs and whatnot....

Exactly the way I feel. There's part of me that views GA as a liability (job-wise). I miss it and hope that one day I can get involved again but not right now. I'd love to get into gliding.

The TFRs really aren't that bad unless you're located in one of those ridiculous areas like near DC. Log onto DUATS and mark out anything that's there on your sectional, then make sure you give the briefer a quick holler before you fly.

The TFRs really aren't that bad unless you're located in one of those ridiculous areas like near DC. Log onto DUATS and mark out anything that's there on your sectional, then make sure you give the briefer a quick holler before you fly.

You realize that I haven't filed a flight plan in 10 years and I haven't flown GA since 2001.

That's what makes me nervous, getting a stupid violation. And Florida. There is an extraordinarily high density of flight schools around where I live. FIT to the south. Orlando to the west. Riddle to the north. Kind of makes me think of spaceballs when Dark Helmet finds out he's surrounded by a-holes. ;)

I really don't want to fly a spam-can, but a real airplane. Like a cub or Champ or luscombe, beech 18 or the Howard 500.

On top of all that, I'd probably get lost.

Most of the time if you Flight Follow, they will keep you clear, but go to www.airpace.nifc.gov for the latest TFRs.

You realize that I haven't filed a flight plan in 10 years and I haven't flown GA since 2001.

That's what makes me nervous, getting a stupid violation. And Florida. There is an extraordinarily high density of flight schools around where I live. FIT to the south. Orlando to the west. Riddle to the north. Kind of makes me think of spaceballs when Dark Helmet finds out he's surrounded by a-holes. ;)

I really don't want to fly a spam-can, but a real airplane. Like a cub or Champ or luscombe, beech 18 or the Howard 500.

Haha, come out to TX! There's lots of sky out here!
And if you fly a cub, you won't be able to fly high and fast enough to get lost ;)
Just bring a highway map and you'll be set.

Oh yeah, I just saw mjg's reply.

If he'd hire me, that'd cover all my flying joneses. Old school big plane down low and maneuvering.

That reminds me of my last P-3 delivery to Portugal. I was in Bangor, and these two guys were asking me about how we flight planed etc... their jaw dropped when I said I used the planning program on my laptop, and plugged the fixes into the Garmin. :)

That reminds me of my last P-3 delivery to Portugal. I was in Bangor, and these two guys were asking me about how we flight planed etc... their jaw dropped when I said I used the planning program on my laptop, and plugged the fixes into the Garmin. :)

You're dangerous Mav!

It is funny that some people have never flown an airplane without a GPS. I have never actually flown an airplane with a GPS. I have never owned an electronic E6B either - whiz wheel for me. I also drink black coffee and shave with a straight razor.

I would agree and I watch carefully the winds, especially crosswinds. The Swift can be a handful. The field I fly out of has almost constant crosswinds and it is on a plateau which seems to add gusts. Makes for interesting pattern work.

What engine in yours? How long have you had your Swift? What year?

They're Dad's Swifts. He traded a Luscomb for a wrecked Swift probably 35-40 years ago, repaired it, took it apart again in 1979 and restored it with a Continental O-300-D and a basic VFR panel sometime near 1995. A couple years later he bought pieces for another Swift and just finished restoring it last year with a Continental IO-360, sticks, and full IFR Garmin panel. Google N77753 and N3876K for pics.

They're Dad's Swifts. He traded a Luscomb for a wrecked Swift probably 35-40 years ago, repaired it, took it apart again in 1979 and restored it with a Continental O-300-D and a basic VFR panel sometime near 1995. A couple years later he bought pieces for another Swift and just finished restoring it last year with a Continental IO-360, sticks, and full IFR Garmin panel. Google N77753 and N3876K for pics.

Nice looking machines. Mine has an HIO-360 in it and is just a VFR bird. 9gal aux tank so about 3:30 fuel. I flt plan at 130kts true and 9gal/hr. You?

I would like to upgrade the panel but $$$...

I watched the video.. at what speed do you bring the tail up? I come off the ground around 65-70mph.

Not worth my investment.

Not going to go out and toss money into a single engine piston just for the hell of it.

Especially in this economy.

Perhaps one day when I'm paid well I may be able to enjoy the joys of GA again, but until then, not going to happen.

Not worth my investment.

Not going to go out and toss money into a single engine piston just for the hell of it.

Perhaps one day when I'm paid well I may be able to enjoy the joys of GA again, but until then, not going to happen.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I have a question:

When you are on furlough, are there any requirements that you maintain currency? If there are no rules about that, does it make sense to remain current anyway?

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I have a question:

When you are on furlough, are there any requirements that you maintain currency? If there are no rules about that, does it make sense to remain current anyway?

No, you are not required to maintain currency. When recalled, you'll be placed into a training program that is federally approved to bring you back into currency. If needed you will do the full training program as if you were a new hire if you have been out of the company long enough. Most companies, that hits at 12 months being away. Basic Indoc, Systems, CPTs, Sims, and IOE all over again. It is my understanding that at my company, any furlough less than 90 days only requires Recurrent Flight Training and a Pro-Check and then back to the line you go. Not sure what is required between 90 and 179 days, or 180 to the One year mark. Largely, it's about getting back to flying "standard" and ridding pilots of any non-standard procedures and techniques they might have brought into their heads during their time away from the company.

Yes, it does make sense to remain current. On that note, I do plan on remaining current in at least SEL aircraft. There are opportunities for me in the future that I will happily take involvement in if the doors open, but those opportunities do not necessarily require me to show 90 day currency as those opportunities will provide me with the chance to become current through training for proficiency in those aircraft that will be utilized.

Flying for fun and maintaining currency are two separate things in my eyes. I'm not going to delve deep into my personal reasons for not running out and renting a plane for the hell of it.

On another note...

I also realize that my prior statement of "Nope," might be viewed differently than I intended.

I'd like to state that there has never been a day or flight that I didn't have fun or enjoyed flying, even for a living.

Not worth my investment.

I feel the same way. There are just too many other financial priorities for me to justify flying right now. I've thought about CFI-ing part time, but I really would only have time to instruct one day a week so I don't think I'd be of much value to a student. (Plus I wouldn't want to go stealing clients from working instructors. ;))

I am in the process of renewing my CFI certificate through AF, so apparently I think it might be something I'll want to do some day.

Back