Dispatcher "checkride"?

You have an oral exam with an FAA Examiner and if you pass you are granted a license....Did you take a course?

Did not take a course, I'm doing some home studying for the written, and want the full license. Is this a FSDO Inspector I need to call or same as with the flying, a DPE?

You either have to show experience or attend a class. Part 65 has the details. Also depending on where you live, your local FSDO may not have a dispatch examiner assigned or available.

After someone passes the dispatcher written exam, how do you get your actual dispatcher license?

Firstly, you must past the Dispatcher written... which is what I assume you are doing your home-study course for. After you complete your home-study course, you need to make an appointment with either a CATs or LaserGrade (FAA) testing center. By having this test completed, you may find yourself ahead (depending on the Dispatcher course that you enroll with).

The Dispatcher written does not require an endorsement. That is, unless you fail. If you fail, you would need an endorsement to retake the test.

Most Dispatcher students go through the 6 week course. However, Bill Phelps' AGS school allows you to do the dispatcher course online... then attend a six day residential course. I cannot attest to the quality, as I have attended elsewhere.

IF you have previous aviation experience, you may qualify for an accelerated program -- which is usually two weeks in duration.

After you complete your course -- and have been "prepped" -- you will be sent to take your "Practical Test" (aka. "Checkride") with either a DDE (Designated Dispatcher Examiner) OR with an FAA Inspector from your local FSDO.

The Practical Test will likely be split in half. One half will be an "Oral" examination, in which you will be asked about equipment requirements (Minimum Equipment Lists -- or "MELs"), navigation charts, regulations, systems, and weather. The other half will be a flight plan, in which you will be required to take MELs, regulations, weather, routing, and weight into consideration.

After you pass, you are issued a "Temporary Certificate." The Temporary Certificate is valid for 120 calendar days. Expect to receive the permanent (plastic card) certificate after a month or two. If your school uses a program called "IACRA" (for application processing), you will likely receive your permanent certificate within a month.

I suggest that you research all your available options before jumping into a random dispatch school. When I was taking my dispatcher course, there were a few students in our class who had been at other schools... and had nothing but bad things to say. As opposed to flight schools (in which reputation does not matter as much), I would say that the dispatcher school that you attend may be of a significant factor when looking for an Aircraft Dispatcher position... but that is just my opinion!

Good Luck!

Back