Dispatch School Options

Matthew White

What's our vector Victor?
Hello everyone,

To start I'd like to say a few things about my background. I just recently graduated with a degree in Air Traffic Management from Middle Georgia College and I am working on finishing my BS in Business Administration online. I currently work as a Ramp Agent for Delta Air Lines. My dad was a controller for 10 years at ZHU and 22 years at ZTL. I have been around the aviation industry my whole life and have a strong passion for the field. I scored a 100% on my ATSAT, however, with the poor outlook of FAA hiring, I would like to explore other options for my career. I have been browsing the web and have called several different ADX schools but I would like some input from people who have attended these schools and know the environment. I will be doing a distance learning program because I work full time and cannot afford to take 5-6 weeks off. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Matthew White

I have been browsing the web and have called several different ADX schools but I would like some input from people who have attended these schools and know the environment. I will be doing a distance learning program because I work full time and cannot afford to take 5-6 weeks off. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have grown tired of the debates that ensue on this subject when specific schools are brought up, so I will unfortunately not be able to publicly answer your question. But feel free to PM me if you'd like, or if you peruse this forum you'll find several school-related threads that do mention schools by name.

I will say, I believe you do the vast majority of your learning about this career AFTER you get your license and you start actually doing the job. It's definitely a "license to learn." I will also say that no one school is perfect for everyone - contact the schools you look at online that seem like would be a good fit for your plans and see what they have to say about their programs. Any good school should be happy to answer all of your questions. Be wary of any school offering a 100% pass rate or 100% job placement rate. And be prepared to study hard - I did the traditional in-classroom training and it was a flood of information for six weeks. Good luck with your career!

I think a quick search and you'll find peoples opinions about the schools out there.

From my perspective, choose the one that fits your needs - whether that is time/location/cost or any other variable that is important to you.

Does anyone have any opinons on the PanAm Academy? I have looked online and cannot find many reviews on the classes.

Before researching potential schools, I would research the job. Many have invested money only to find out that dispatch is not for them. Dispatch and ATC are not similar. However, if you decide to follow this path, I would look to a reputable school in South Florida.

Reactions: MT
I am with @manniax----not touching this one with a hot poker. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I can tell you about my experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the input. I have done quite a bit of research on the occupation itself and have sat in with a few Delta dispatchers as well. I am interested in the job and from talking to a few other people, I think I have made a decision on the school I would like to enroll in.

Not going to touch this one either... except for the fact that there are plenty of good places out there besides "a reputable school in South Florida!" I know people who got their license at many different places and I don't see an advantage of one place over the other. The goal is to get the license, as you do most of your leaning on the job.

I know there are other schools out there. But I would consider going to a school that has been around before most of us were even born. Not to mention Delta has used them in their training. I started in this industry over 20 years ago and have seen many schools pop up and not to mention know people involved in them. Wont mention any names. There are schools out there just to make a buck and couldn't care if you learn anything or get a job. The advantage one has over the other is the quality of training one receives. I have seen dispatchers come out of schools and don't even know basic dispatch principles. But it all comes down to the individual and what is important to them. Hey not to mention it's pretty nice to go to the beach on the weekends!!

I dont know much about the Dispatcher mills, but I got my certificate at MTSU.

OK, I know I said that I was tired of debates on this subject, BUT...I think it's a bit harsh to lump all non-university dispatcher programs together and call them "mills," I presume to imply that the education people receive at them is sub-par to what you had at a university. As a graduate of a well-known aviation university, I can state that the training I received at one of the "mills," as you called them, was of equivalent or better quality to anything I experienced in my college classes.

I have heard some good things about the AGS distance learning dispatch program. Has anyone attended this school or have any experience with people who have?

Thank you again :)

-Matt

At the top you can search the forum. Just click search for title and type AGS. There has been long threads ad nausuem about certain schools. Every person that has posted in this thread thus far stating they won't touch this thread have posted their options in many other Dispatch School threads. So you can read their previous thoughts by running through the search function :)

Okay thank you! I understand the controversy. It's a personal decision I need to make and I'm not trying to start up another keyboard battle lol.

OK, I know I said that I was tired of debates on this subject, BUT...I think it's a bit harsh to lump all non-university dispatcher programs together and call them "mills," I presume to imply that the education people receive at them is sub-par to what you had at a university. As a graduate of a well-known aviation university, I can state that the training I received at one of the "mills," as you called them, was of equivalent or better quality to anything I experienced in my college classes.

Yeah, that's cool.

Sheffield in Ft Lauderdale was great for me. Going there helped me professionally. I would recommend it. Not everyone shares that opinion and that's great.
It's great because it's real. The opinions here are real, and not some bot, or spam or someone paid to blue sky you. Good luck and have fun in the hunt.

I went to Jeppesen in Denver and got my license just like every other licensed dispatcher on the forum. What I'm saying is, it doesn't really matter where you go, as long as it's a reputable school. Pick the school that best fits your needs (location, finances, etc...). Then use that school to get your license (be motivated and study hard!) and just know you don't actually learn to be a dispatcher until you start working as one. Good luck!

Thank you all! I have decided to start at AGS next week. I chose them primarily because their schedule fits my schedule.

Thank you again for all of your input!

- Matt

I went to AGS too. Bottom line is yes Jeppesen and Sheffield are top notch schools but at the end of the day it is a license to learn. AGS is a good school IMO. Just do what fits your schedule to get the ticket and network-network-network.. There are a lot of good people in the industry on here that can hopefully help you when you finish. Best of luck to you!!

Last edited:
Matt -

I agree with a few others about telling you what school to pick - I went to Sheffield but it was a choice for me. As both Manniax and WomenPilot pointed out, it really doesn't matter where you go. Most of your training you will get on the job with ground school and OJT - since airlines can get some exemptions with OpsSpecs and the GOM.

As for PanAm Academy - I don't know much about them but they did leave a bad taste in my mouth. Their website shows they have several location when in fact - the training is done in Miami done thru a 3rd party.

My advice to you is pick a school where the instructors have experience with a 121 carrier.

Back