Dispatch School Options

Thank you all! I have decided to start at AGS next week. I chose them primarily because their schedule fits my schedule.

Thank you again for all of your input!

- Matt

Hi Matt,

Congrats on beginning school! I really enjoyed most of it, even though it was grueling at times. Are you doing the online/distance course or the 6 week residency course?

Hi all! Thanks for all the input, I was directed here from reddit.com/r/aviation, and I've had a lot of fun reading all of the threads. I'm also going with the AGS 6-day course in June. Look forward to lurking these forums a bit more to get a better idea of what to expect in my career choice!

Hi Matt,

Congrats on beginning school! I really enjoyed most of it, even though it was grueling at times. Are you doing the online/distance course or the 6 week residency course?

I will be doing the distance learning course with the 6 day residency. I plan on completing the material in time to begin my residency in December.

I did the 6 day AGS course three years ago and enjoyed it. The way I see it, they'll teach you the basics and the airline will teach you the rest.

Hi all! Thanks for all the input, I was directed here from reddit.com/r/aviation, and I've had a lot of fun reading all of the threads. I'm also going with the AGS 6-day course in June. Look forward to lurking these forums a bit more to get a better idea of what to expect in my career choice!

I, too, reddit. Which thread linked you here?

It'll be nice to see some more dispatchers on /r/aviation!

All I would say is that to apply for all the jobs you can even while you are still in your dispatch course, wherever that may be. I had a great experience getting my dispatch certificate and had a job offer from a regional before even finishing my course. That was not due to the course but more the fact that I had scoured for job openings and had applied to about 30 companies up to that point. There were a few people on my course that had read my schools website and heard that it had good job placement rate and thought that was enough to land them their first job. So I would say that a school could be a tool in helping you find jobs but the hard work of applying and interviewing is all up to you. There are a number of regionals that have been hiring recently that often hire dispatchers with little or no previous airline experience. So get your license from wherever you can and apply to all the jobs you can! That is my two cents. Good luck!

I went to Sheffield in 1990. My Classes were helded by Eric. He threw a altimetry test, NOT QUIZZ, on the second day only to get a notion , as he said lately, who would make it through the course. If you have zero aviation experience, but is committed to follow the instructions manual as to plan your study during the course i strongly recommend. I had a PP and some commercial /IFR plus a year of airline jobs and it was intense. English is not a problem since on my class the where lots of foreigners. Eric has a sarcastic humor... but friendly. After 6 weeks you will be in a bad shape with a FAA license in your pocket.

Last edited:
I did the 6 day AGS course three years ago and enjoyed it. The way I see it, they'll teach you the basics and the airline will teach you the rest.

The only thing I don't like about AGS, is the requirement of the PPL written. I've heard varying stories on why they have it, but I know of no other school that requires it for any length of course. Just a principle thing with me I guess - you don't need to be a pilot in order to be a dispatcher.

Thank you all so much for your input! I just got back from a 3 day vacation to kind of clear my head before all of the madness starts haha. I am sending in my registration form today! I have several friends who are pilots(CFI's, Twin Engine commercials). I plan on flying with them often while I am in class so I can apply my studies in a practical sense instead of just reading endlessly.

What sort of studying material would you all recommend for the PPL/ADX tests?

I used the Gleim FAA ATP Test Prep Software and really liked it over the book. You can omit the chapter on Part 135, as it's not on the ADX. Also, studying up on the regs and wx is essential. You can get so much info for free at the FAA website. Good luck to you!

One of my CFI buddies told me to check out Sheppard Air for study material. He prefers it to Gleim. Has any one used this? How does it compare to Gleim?

All I would say is that to apply for all the jobs you can even while you are still in your dispatch course, wherever that may be. I had a great experience getting my dispatch certificate and had a job offer from a regional before even finishing my course. That was not due to the course but more the fact that I had scoured for job openings and had applied to about 30 companies up to that point. There were a few people on my course that had read my schools website and heard that it had good job placement rate and thought that was enough to land them their first job. So I would say that a school could be a tool in helping you find jobs but the hard work of applying and interviewing is all up to you. There are a number of regionals that have been hiring recently that often hire dispatchers with little or no previous airline experience. So get your license from wherever you can and apply to all the jobs you can! That is my two cents. Good luck!

That's a very important issue. After getting through the FAA tests start sending the 'good news' to all companies out there! I guarantee at least you'll be called for an interview. I got my license when i was 24, and currently not in the industry anymore, sometimes i think of getting back! I will need a full new course again, even though i still have my license. By the way, the FAA sent me a letter to issue a new license and send to my adress cuz the old one has no longer the previleges of FAR part... so on and so forth. Anyone in the same situation?

I, too, reddit. Which thread linked you here?

It'll be nice to see some more dispatchers on /r/aviation!

I just threw "Dispatcher" in the search bar and gleaned what I could from the "How Do I Dispatcher?" threads from 3 years ago. I like looking at pictures of planes, and /r/aviation is very good at pictures of planes, haha.

I have grown tired of the debates that ensue on this subject when specific schools are brought up, so I will unfortunately not be able to publicly answer your question. But feel free to PM me if you'd like, or if you peruse this forum you'll find several school-related threads that do mention schools by name.

I will say, I believe you do the vast majority of your learning about this career AFTER you get your license and you start actually doing the job. It's definitely a "license to learn." I will also say that no one school is perfect for everyone - contact the schools you look at online that seem like would be a good fit for your plans and see what they have to say about their programs. Any good school should be happy to answer all of your questions. Be wary of any school offering a 100% pass rate or 100% job placement rate. And be prepared to study hard - I did the traditional in-classroom training and it was a flood of information for six weeks. Good luck with your career!
I was told at the end of course that the license was actually to LEARN how to dispatch planes for an operator. No one is going to give you a plane to dispatch only by flashing your license. There are so many procedures in dispatch office that make anyone 's head spin. Follow what the FAA says and disregard company rules. If it´'s ok by the administrator its because it s SAFE!

IThere are so many procedures in dispatch office that make anyone 's head spin. Follow what the FAA says and disregard company rules. If it´'s ok by the administrator its because it s SAFE!

You have to be careful on this one. The company could have exemptions approved by the FAA in their OPSPECS that do not "follow what the FAA says" in their FAR's. I was taught in dispatch school that when the regs and the OPSPECS at your company disagree, always follow the OPSPECS. Remember, they have all been reviewed by, and approved by, the FAA. (Example: 5% international fuel reserves are allowed at some airlines, but if you only "follow the rules" then it would seem 10% is what's required.)

The FAR contains, sort of speaking, general rules issued by the administrator to all operators. Some operators would need, due to the type of acft, routes, revenue payload etc., an individual specification, to enhance their performance. As a result the OPSPECS will find some discrepancies with the FAR's. Its understandable.
In the 90's some charter operators would fly an american registered plane, between to different airports abroad, back and forth with the dispatcher on board. In these, middle of nowhere situation would stick to the FAR. Since many charters leased those planes for a while only. 707s, DC-8s, and lots of 727s.
I was wondering about a question i made today regarding a letter i got from the FAA about a new license, since mine was issued DEC 1990. Anyone in the same situation?

Last edited:
Back