Delta - is this possible?

Regularjoe

I have a guy who I see from time to time at church and other functions and he claims to be a Delta Airlines pilot, has the big watch and all the usual attitude that goes with it.

The other day in his ranting he mentioned to me and others that he has recently been promoted to 777 right seat.

So I asked him what aircraft it was that he is currently flying to move to the 777, expecting to hear something along the lines of 757, 767. Instead he replies that he currently flies the MD-880(?). I say to him, oh you mean the MD-80 or the MD-88. To which he replies nope MD-880.

So before I laugh at this guy I thought I would ask, can you really go from an MD-80 to a 777?

Secondly what the hell is an MD-880?

MD-880?

You can go from the MD-88 to the 777 if you have enough seniority.

One of my pals is a former Skywest Brasilia captain, got hired at Delta as a 727 flight engineer, got off probation and bid 737 captain without ever being an FO.

Naaaaaaturally after things started rolling back in 2001, he "finally started getting some jet SIC" ;)

So while it is "technically" possible it is a stretch and like me everyone is stumped on what an MD-880 is?

This guy is very early 30's at best more likely late 20's and doesn't strike me as the sort of guy with a lot of senority from the way he talks.

Thanks for the info guys. I will just watch with amusement next time he starts rambling.

If you're suspicious, the next time he starts yammering, ask if he can explain exactly how it is you set a flex power takeoff in the "MD-880". Watch him either squirm or spew out some nonsense.

Ask him a few questions about the union, like what LEC he's in, and who the rep's are, things like that. That'll usually smoke out a poser.

Ask him a few questions about the union, like what LEC he's in, and who the rep's are, things like that. That'll usually smoke out a poser.

Yup.

Also ask what makes the "880" (and no, there is no such thing as an 880) different from an 80, or why DL calls their 80-series airplanes 88s. :)

Sounds like a poser to me....

This guy is very early 30's at best more likely late 20's and doesn't strike me as the sort of guy with a lot of senority from the way he talks.

The 777B plug in ATL was born in 1969 making him 39. The NYC plug was born in 1960 making him 48. They were both hired in 2000. Ask him what base he is in, and who his LEC rep is. Better yet, PM me his name. I can very easily look it up on the seniority list.

BTW, I only have a small Timex expedition and a very nice attitude, if I say so myself. No need to compensate. :D

The 777B plug in ATL was born in 1969 making him 39. The NYC plug was born in 1960 making him 48. They were both hired in 2000. Ask him what base he is in, and who his LEC rep is. Better yet, PM me his name. I can very easily look it up on the seniority list.

BTW, I only have a small Timex expedition and a very nice attitude, if I say so myself. No need to compensate. :D

Ask him if he'll still hold 77B ATL after this latest bid... :D With all the displacements I'm not even sure Bill would be able to hold 777, and he will be getting bumped out of his CA seat.

But yes, I'd say PMing the guys name to a REAL DL pilot will clear it up real quick.

Geez, is a position at Delta so coveted that people feel like they need to pretend to be one when they aren't, like the Navy Seal imposters? :p

Geez, is a position at Delta so coveted that people feel like they need to pretend to be one when they aren't, like the Navy Seal imposters? :p

It's not like it's a Tomcat or a US Airways captain. Oh wait. That was a couple of years ago, and that was on here. :)

Sorry been having computer problems the last day or so, I will see him today and ask again and if he continues to be unconvincing I will pm a couple of the guys on here his name.

I'm not big into the poser witch hunts (like to watch) so spreading his news all over the internet isn't my style.

Just ask him how come the Md-88 is the only commercial aircraft with falangees. That should smoke him out pretty quick. :)

It's kind of weird why someone would misrepresent themselves like that. Often I'm reluctant to even tell folks I'm a pilot around the neighborhood because when you do something as simple as going out for a beer at the local watering hole, you're "instant spokesman" for anything aviation-related in the news.

It's kind of weird why someone would misrepresent themselves like that. Often I'm reluctant to even tell folks I'm a pilot around the neighborhood because when you do something as simple as going out for a beer at the local watering hole, you're "instant spokesman" for anything aviation-related in the news.

I agree with this, I was at the local watering hole yesterday and this uncommonly loud bartender wouldn't stop asking questions about the Hudson river accident and was telling other bar goers that I was a pilot. Makes you uncomfortable when your just trying to have a beer with the old lady. From now on I'm a office furniture salesman or if they know I'm gonna say I work for Family Airlines and proceed to get out of control drunk.

Back