Delta Flight Ops Update (and hiring rumors for 2013)

Nothing. Not a darned thing. Nada.

I meant, that if I had a Flux Capacitor (it's what makes time travel possible for you young'ns...) I would love to go back to when I was 22 knowing what I know now and make a variety of different choices based on that knowledge.

Although, that said, I probably wouldn't fly for a living since I would be so busy looking for ways to spend my gambling winnings and the proceeds from my Apple and Google stock. :)

Nothing. Not a darned thing. Nada.

I meant, that if I had a Flux Capacitor (it's what makes time travel possible for you young'ns...) I would love to go back to when I was 22 knowing what I know now and make a variety of different choices based on that knowledge.

Although, that said, I probably wouldn't fly for a living since I would be so busy looking for ways to spend my gambling winnings and the proceeds from my Apple and Google stock. :)

Dang, was hoping for the secrets of life! Hindsight is 20/20 though right? Just gotta do the best you can at the time and have no regrets.

Just a quick update here, apparently Anderson spoke to the line check airmen yesterday in ATL and quoted 2013 as the expected hiring date. In all honesty I'm trying to get in touch with a LCA friend to confirm this and a few other things that were mentioned.

Bottom line, if you're interested, don't get hung up on the projected hiring date. Update your application early and often treating it like they will be calling you the very next day for an interview. I believe 100% that having your application ready the minute the hiring window opens is more important than people think.

Exactly.

You may think you want a particular job, but the candidate that KNOWS he wants the job already has his ducks in a row when it comes to letters of recc, logbook and the application.

I think some people learned the hard way with the Alaska window opening and closing.

Exactly.

You may think you want a particular job, but the candidate that KNOWS he wants the job already has his ducks in a row when it comes to letters of recc, logbook and the application.

I think some people learned the hard way with the Alaska window opening and closing.

I am going to give that a third. Cruise and myself have been getting a lot of calls recently with the stuff going down at the old place. We don't mind helping out, but when someones logbook is five years out of date, and they haven't done their homework about the company they are applying to, it is going to take A LONG time to get a call back.

Of course it is always easier to get a new job when you have a job, but start getting things in order NOW for the 'big wave'.

We don't mind helping out, but when someones logbook is five years out of date, and they haven't done their homework about the company they are applying to, it is going to take A LONG time to get a call back.

I'm nowhere near enough hours to be marketable for Delta even though I'm very close to the mins but, I'm curious, what type of homework does one need to do? I know Delta's domiciles, basic pay, what equipment they fly, have some letters of recommendation should I apply, and have my resume/logbook up to date. What would be some other things that need to be done?

Does anyone know how far above the minimums was considered competitive last time Delta hired? Just out of curiosity.

Do you guys have any other tips beside the ones provided and luck?

I know some guys that had luck going to job fairs that DAL attended. Sure it's a meat market but it's better than nothing. I'm not sure if there is anything coming up but I'll be sure to post anything that I hear as will others I'm sure. The usual suspects are obviously Air Inc, OBAP, WIA, etc.

I'm nowhere near enough hours to be marketable for Delta even though I'm very close to the mins but, I'm curious, what type of homework does one need to do? I know Delta's domiciles, basic pay, what equipment they fly, have some letters of recommendation should I apply, and have my resume/logbook up to date. What would be some other things that need to be done?

Does anyone know how far above the minimums was considered competitive last time Delta hired? Just out of curiosity.

Go to the website of the airline you are interested working for and sign up for the SEC filings and press releases to be emailed to you. That way when they announce a new route/profit/product/etc. you get an email concerning that. Good stuff to bring up at an interview such as "I see you are rapidly expanding out of XYZ over the last few months where is it going to be crewed out of..." or form another question off that. If the airline has a Facebook page also 'Like' it as that gives one a heads up about new things coming along.

Your best bet is to start reading gouge and collecting info on the interview now rather than after you get an interview. There's plenty of useful stuff on the web. The way a lot of these interviews are structured now, if you wait until you get the invitation you might be scrambling which only adds stress. Start with some of the basic interview prep books out there like "Checklist For Success" and "Acing the Air Line Pilot Technical Interview" which both were applicable to any pilot interview I've ever attended. If you do, you'll have some background in your arsenal which will make you that much more prepared when you do get a call. The first interview was the hardest to prepare for in many ways but having done it, I just had to tweak my prep a little for the second which was easy. Interviews like any test or checkride are SO much less stressful when you feel your prepared walking in the door. I worked damn hard before for my DAL interview and the day I went in there I was surprised how relaxed I was but only because I was sure I had done everything I could think of to prepare and that it was time to let the chips fall.

As for qualifications, I'll answer that by saying that of the civilian guys in my initial class, none were just an RJ Capt with a lot of time. We even had 2 FO's I think. What we all did have in common was that we had something on our resume that was just a little different. Examples: Ground school inst, CRM inst, line check pilot, union reps, masters degree, special training center/safety projects, etc. Anything that tells the interviewer that you're not some guy bidding a schedule, calling in sick 5 times a year, and collecting a check.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Exactly.

Funny I was on another board where a guy was saying that after he read a thread about DAL not hiring until 2013-2015 he contacted Airlineapps to see if he could unsubscribe to save money since no one was hiring. He was glad to hear that they would hold his info on their server until he decided to resubscribe.

To me this is the absolute wrong strategy. Yeah forking over $55/year stinks but at least your app is ready to roll and your info is being "managed." DON'T be that guy!! But hey, it's one less applicant you have to compete against!

I am going to give that a third. Cruise and myself have been getting a lot of calls recently with the stuff going down at the old place. We don't mind helping out, but when someones logbook is five years out of date, and they haven't done their homework about the company they are applying to, it is going to take A LONG time to get a call back.

Of course it is always easier to get a new job when you have a job, but start getting things in order NOW for the 'big wave'.

This is going to sound arrogant, but I am FLOORED when I get messages from people at regionals that say things like "I'm getting my logbook in order to apply for ABC Airways".

What?!

Opportunity happens when you least expect it. Hell, when I got interviewed at Southernjets, it was literally four days between "Let me put your stuff in" and an interview invite.

What if you're hitting a hotel bar and you end up running into the chief pilot of a company that you wanted to work for that says, "Call me monday, we'll get you in on tuesday to review your application, bring your logbooks". This happened to me.

Come on folks, get your crap together and keep it together. No excuses. "Blah blah blah, I caaaaaaaaaaan't because of yadda yadda yadda". Well, if you're not ready to be helped, you're not ready period.

With airline apps you have to put down everything that you have done in your life. How far does delta actually look back. How much do you think a "mistake in college" from 14 years ago will hurt an otherwise good candidates chances?

I can't speak for them obviously, but for any airline you apply for, it's a highly competitive process. Over-prepare and always put your best foot forward is all I can suggest.

"mistake" in college? Who hasn't made a mistake or fifty in college! :) Depends on if you got busted or not! ha! :)

I can't speak for them obviously, but for any airline you apply for, it's a highly competitive process. Over-prepare and always put your best foot forward is all I can suggest.

"mistake" in college? Who hasn't made a mistake or fifty in college! :) Depends on if you got busted or not! ha! :)

Check yer PM's and stop stealin' mah jumpseat!

30.jpg

With airline apps you have to put down everything that you have done in your life. How far does delta actually look back. How much do you think a "mistake in college" from 14 years ago will hurt an otherwise good candidates chances?

I would say it depends on the mistake. My uneducated guess is that some mistakes would probably keep you from getting an invite to interview while others might just make the interviewers laugh at you after you finish telling your story with a straight face. :)

What we all did have in common was that we had something on our resume that was just a little different. Examples: Ground school inst, CRM inst, line check pilot, union reps, masters degree, special training center/safety projects, etc. Anything that tells the interviewer that you're not some guy bidding a schedule, calling in sick 5 times a year, and collecting a check.

Being an Eagle Scout helps alot too!

Back