Delta backsout of $24000 seat vouchers.

If a guy was of the gambling persuasion and had access to load boards and a lounge they could probably treat a day during the holiday crush like a trip to the horse track. They'll know which flights might sell out, buy a ticket, wait at the gate until the airline starts asking people to sell their seat, accept the offer of a refund of the ticket price and additional vouchers or money and walk away with a tidy profit and then rinse and repeat for an entire day. The vouchers have value, the airline has to keep them on their books for tax reasons and they'd rather payout than have someone holding onto them for years, for the same reason the company you work for will want their employees to use their PTO and not roll it it over every year, it becomes a liability to have all of that money/debt sitting out there not being used.
There are some weirdos in our industry but I’m pretty sure nobody has ever done this nor profited from it.

I mean, that would probably be worth a lot of entertainment value to the Delta attorneys. I know the frivolous lawsuits I get always make me and my attorneys giggle. And then we laugh out loud when they end up having to pay our attorneys‘ fees.
Do you consider this frivolous? If the airline doesn't compensate these people the damage they can do to the airlines reputation (Thanks social media!) isn't really measurable. "During one of the worst storms we've seen in decades Delta strands a family far from home, story at 11." A decent attorney would call all of the news outlets and put them on blast. $24K to make it go away or try to educate the public?

Do you consider this frivolous?

Yes.

If the airline doesn't compensate these people the damage they can do to the airlines reputation (Thanks social media!) isn't really measurable. "During one of the worst storms we've seen in decades Delta strands a family far from home, story at 11." A decent attorney would call all of the news outlets and put them on blast. $24K to make it go away or try to educate the public?

I’ve lost track of how many people have threatened to go to the news when they don’t get their way with us. I’m sure Delta has heard it a thousand times more than I have. And just like me, they shrug it off.

You don’t have to power you think you do. The news doesn’t care about you or your falsely perceived harm.

I feel like we're overlooking the number:
  1. $8,000 to get bumped on a seat betweek OAK-SLC?!
  2. How high up a managerial pile do you suppose that number has to go for approval? I am skeptial that a rouge gate agent could cost the airline more than its profit on the tickets just to get every seat filled.

Why would you? This made news/rounds within current 121 pilots.

Pilots are only a single cog in a large mechanical. Yes, an airline can't move without pilots. But you can't put fuel in the jet without accountants. And there's no gate space without corporate real estate departments.

Lanyards, man! LANYARDS!

Are the malcontents wearing their hats again?

they don’t know that they are now on…the list.

To err is, human. To forgive, is against the Air Line policy…..

Back