Delta Air Lines (pilots)

Spondivits is for you airline types. The more civilized (i.e Corporate elitist pilots) tend to gather at the Manchester Arms. ;)

Yeah, Spondivits = Legacy, Manchester = Corporate, Irish Bred (seriously, this is how they spell it...it's about as Irish as Chili's) = Freight and Regional Scum. All within an easy drive of Hartsfield.

Yeah, Spondivits = Legacy, Manchester = Corporate, Irish Bred (seriously, this is how they spell it...it's about as Irish as Chili's) = Freight and Regional Scum. All within an easy drive of Hartsfield.

First Only time I've been to the Irish Bred was when I was at the 'net and the hussie behind the bar poured the head out of the Guinness I ordered.

First Only time I've been to the Irish Bred was when I was at the 'net and the hussie behind the bar poured the head out of the Guinness I ordered.

Yeah, it's a pretty dreadful place, but it had the virtue of being open for a couple of hours after the ole Mitsi (and later, sadly, the 99) were put to bed. Plus, I mean, I learned more about about "popular music" there than anywhere else. I grant you that it's knowledge I probably could have done without.

I told a friend of mine with 6500 hours who was an airline check airman that Delta was hiring. He said he interviewed years ago and that Delta has a one interview per lifetime policy. If you don't make it that was your one shot. Is this still true (or at all) ?

Who had the cajones to tell him that?

Derg said:
Whoever is in the November class, let me know and you can join me for a beer at Spondivits or something

Not that I suggest the place, it's just a rite if passage as a new hire.

Wear shoes.

I'm more of an Irish Bred guy.

All this talk of not being able to reapply if you don't make it past the HR interview is pretty terrifying to me, and it will be at least 10 years before I am even in the position to apply for delta.

There are a lot of dreamers applying now, myself included. Does anyone have an educated opinion/guess as to when a "normal" pilot might have a reasonable chance of getting a call? Meaning, no shuttle time, Dad doesn't work there, lacking a plethora of internal recs. A guy with maybe 2000-3000 hours, maybe a little 121 PIC (or maybe not), previous 121 experience. We talking a year? 5? 10? Just hoping to get the perspective of those smarter than myself...

There are a lot of dreamers applying now, myself included. Does anyone have an educated opinion/guess as to when a "normal" pilot might have a reasonable chance of getting a call? Meaning, no shuttle time, Dad doesn't work there, lacking a plethora of internal recs. A guy with maybe 2000-3000 hours, maybe a little 121 PIC (or maybe not), previous 121 experience. We talking a year? 5? 10? Just hoping to get the perspective of those smarter than myself...

You might be selling yourself short here because I'm sure there are a few peeps at majors now that said the same thing, now they are there.

Lets put it this way, most likely by the time they get to that point of hiring "normal" people, you will be one with all that stuff. I'm in the same boat and I've come to the realization that its just going to be a long time. Among all the regional CAs with bazillions of hours of PIC, military guys and NOW guys jumping ship from AT (with 717 time), it will be a long time at 300 pilots per year. I know we keep hearing "ohhh but wait, so and so is hiring and all the guys retiring and blah blah blah, they will be hiring people with warm body temperatures before you know it..." but in reality, it is just going to keep moving at a snails pace. I wish I were more optimistic...but this is life.

Back