DCA Diary

I know I wouldnt want to be over Lake Apoka in a TS. That lake is scary and nasty looking enough during the daytime.

Is Orlando Country Airport still open

Actually I was just on the north shore. There are a bunch of fields there. Orlando Country is closed right now. They're expanding the airport and runway.

I loved flying in into Orlando Country...really fun at night.. I use to fly out of an airport near me that reminded of that place so much...The split the lights at night and you will find the runway right there...

Well I'm finally done with ground school and put stage 1 stagecheck on hold to focus on the FAA written. Once the written is out of the way, I can focus on flying and bust all the flights out quickly.

Today was the fist day back in a DCA cockpit. It didn't turn out how I had planned it. I had planned a nice little solo IFR cross country flight up to Atlanta, got to the airport and was told my flight was cancelled. Due to the fact that the were planning the hurrevac, All long distance x-countries were cancelled. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I was able to go local, so I decided to go practice some approaches. Called to file my IFR flight plan and did the weight and balance. I got the can and headed out to the aircraft. When I get ready to start the a/c I notice that I didn't have the key. So I haul butt to ops to find the key. When I get back with the key an instructor and the fuel guy who is also an instructor give me the warning never to leave the aircraft untied while unattended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I appoligize and aggree and hop in and strart it up. As I taxied out I guess I did not see the fuel truck off my wing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif, and would definitely hear about it when I got back. Did the DME ARC/VOR into Kissimme. On the missed I filed for the VOR into ORL, but I asked if MCO could fit me in for two approaches, which was granted. I got to do an ILS into 35L and an ILS 36R. On the ILS for 36R I was cleared for the option so I requested a full stop and taxi back. There's a lot of runway to use, made a nasty crosswind landing due to a nice gust. I got clearance to taxi back via B and B10 for a 36R departure. On the inner taxiway I taxied along with a Delta 777. A big size diffential! Took off and got vectors for the ILS for 9L back into Sanford. Landing was uneventful. Upon my return my instructor was waiting for me. He asked what the distance you can taxi by a fuel truck and when you're suppossed to tie down the aicraft. I definitely didn't have my head in the game as far as airport ops are concerned, which is a big safety issue that could have been avoided had I slowed down and not been in a hurry to get up in the air.

[ QUOTE ]
. I definitely didn't have my head in the game as far as airport ops are concerned, which is a big safety issue that could have been avoided had I slowed down and not been in a hurry to get up in the air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't feel too bad... I've done stupid stuff like that too! I think a lot of pilots have! It's all about learning from your mistakes... you'll remember next time!

I flew a 172 to Key West today and had a grilled fish sandwich at the Conch cafe (or whatever its called)... then went to Sebring, and back to Sanford (commercial 141 @ Avion). Also got some good single engine over open water... definately makes you pay more attention to the engine gauges and sounds. I did a short field T/O in sebring with about a 15-18 kt headwind and got off in probably 300-400 ft ground roll. I was alone in the lightest Avion 180 hp 172... that extra 20 hp really helps - I was getting 1100-1200 fpm near the ground and 700 all the way up at 8000 ft (N886AV if anyone ever wants to rent it - its a freak of a 172)! it was a great day to fly!

Too bad DCA cancelled your cross country.. this morning at least Avion wasn't planning on even evacuating any planes, and when I got back around 3:30 they were all there. All their SP's got trashed in the hangar during one of the other storms (theres been so many)..

I just saw the 11 PM update, and it dosen't look good... from the forecaster's comments...

ALL INDICATIONS ARE THAT THE HURRICANE WILL MOVE INLAND AND WILL MAKE THE NORTHWARD TURN OVER THE PENINSULA. THIS IS BASED ON THE LATEST AVAILABLE MODEL GUIDANCE WHICH IN FACT HAS SHIFTED A
LITTLE BIT WESTWARD

Sounds like a mirror image of Charley...

[ QUOTE ]
Upon my return my instructor was waiting for me. He asked what the distance you can taxi by a fuel truck...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol had the same thing happened to me once... never saw the fuel truck... it is 20' but I am sure you already know it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The funny thing that happened Wednesday night was a 172SP from Avion did the same thing to our fuel truck. I was driving one of the maintenance carts back from the Arrow line and here's this SP taxing down our line between the 172's and the PA-44's. It's dark and he had all his lights on, even his strobes, just merrily taxing by the fuel truck. Of course I had to room to talk. The flight sup came running out of ops and asked which a/c that was. I told him that it was from Avion. So he went back in to call the tower

Sorry that I havn't posted on here in a while. It has been pretty busy at work. We had a wall to wall inventory down in maintenace, so there was a lot of prepping to do. Now I'm back on track. So I should be posting more as I progress through Commercial.

"He asked what the distance you can taxi by a fuel truck"

Ummm...not sure I've seen that one in the FAR's before, or at UPS, or anywhere in my flying experience. Whatever looks good. Just don't hit it. My guess is this is some stupid, in house, DCA rule designed to make it look more like you are training for the airlines...though, as an airline pilot, I've never heard of such a thing in all my experience.

I saw a Cessna 172 clip a Fuel Truck once... It wasn't pretty! Nothing exploded, but it left a nice spiral pattern in the paint of the truck though.

The wing clipped the outside mirror, and that darn adverse yaw swirved the plane into the truck! Oops.

G

[ QUOTE ]
The funny thing that happened Wednesday night was a 172SP from Avion did the same thing to our fuel truck. I was driving one of the maintenance carts back from the Arrow line and here's this SP taxing down our line between the 172's and the PA-44's. It's dark and he had all his lights on, even his strobes, just merrily taxing by the fuel truck. Of course I had to room to talk. The flight sup came running out of ops and asked which a/c that was. I told him that it was from Avion. So he went back in to call the tower

[/ QUOTE ]

The other funny thing is that many of the Avion 172SP/ 172 rentals are to DCA students who want to build time or do some fun flying. Most of the times when Avion has had to 'talk' to a renter pilot over something stupid it turned out they were from you know where! Seems many of them end up in trouble when there is no instructor onboard
frown.gif
And i seem to remember a certain DCA CFI/CFII in waiting that crashed one of Avions' 172s on a golf course near Atlanta after running out of fuel. Jeesh.........

Yep FLIP... DCA instructors make mistakes.... but it seems that no one else does. No Avion Instructors or students do anything wrong at all... yeah!!!...
rawk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
No Avion Instructors or students do anything wrong at all... yeah!!!...
rawk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said that. We all make mistakes. However, the post that I was referencing was one that would have you believe that because the plane was an Avion aircraft, therefore it must also have been an Avion student/training flight. My point was that it could also easily have been a DCA pilot.

You don't need to get so worked up......

spin2.gif

Ahhhh! I understand now!

You bet, we do rent planes from Avion and Falcon... and I agree ( now that you cleared ) that it coould have been one of us...
buck.gif

Planediveguy,,,,I have tried but can't seem to access your website. Is it still under construction or down for maintenance?

Flysafe!!

[ QUOTE ]

frown.gif
And i seem to remember a certain DCA CFI/CFII in waiting that crashed one of Avions' 172s on a golf course near Atlanta after running out of fuel. Jeesh.........

[/ QUOTE ]

N271EP crashed in Columbia SC, fuel exhaustion.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20040428X00521&key=1

A DCA CFI hopeful crashed her? Wow! Thats ironic. I flew 271EP from Sanford to Myrtle Beach only a month prior to this accident without incident and without refueling at 7000 and 8000 feet. You see...the key is to check the winds aloft and pull that little red knob out until....ahhh never mind.

Back