DCA Diary

Just curious....what kind of an effect does something bone-headed like that have on your career?
Should someone like that look for another career or will it not come up in an airline interview?
And if it does...what do you say..."sorry Sir I promise not to run your Boeing 777 out of fuel halfway across the Pacific despite my track record of ditching aircraft short of the runway..."

John

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious....what kind of an effect does something bone-headed like that have on your career?
Should someone like that look for another career or will it not come up in an airline interview?
And if it does...what do you say..."sorry Sir I promise not to run your Boeing 777 out of fuel halfway across the Pacific despite my track record of ditching aircraft short of the runway..."

John

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good question...

I wonder if this person actually made it through standz...

This would not happen on an Academy flight as we have to do a thorough flight plan before each x-country flight.

However everytime I rent an airplane at an FBO and start to fill out take off data cards, get weather briefing and prefilght the aircraft I get funny looks from the local instructors...

Humm.... She definetly did not follow our procedures in this flight. We are required an hour reserve if flying at the academy...

Now to pick this incident and jjudge the entire flight instructor body at DCA is naive at best... if not pathetic....

smirk.gif

After months of dragging my heals and busy work, I've finally gotten all the ground stuff out of the way. I took the FAA commercial written on Friday. Just waiting on the shiny DCA ground school completion certificate.
nana2.gif
I'm grounded till the 9th of February for a work related injury.
banghead.gif
Hopefully I'll be able to hit the ground running after that.

After being hassled and hassled to do 20 hours or flying/ground a month I finally decided to switch over to Part 61. With both my wife and I going to school and working, I just can't put in that amount of time during the month. I have more than enough hours to finish my commercial course. I just need ten hours of complex and instruction on the commercial manuevers and I'll be ready for the FAA checkride. I will not be allowed to instruct at DCA, which is fine by me. I can earn more instructing at an FBO. I don't get the free bridge program and the "guaranteed" interview. At least I have some really great traing to put under my belt before I leave.
I don't know if I should continue posting this diary or not, considering that I'm not training in the regular program. Some feedback would be nice. If there is apositive response I'll continue, but if not, I'll bid farewell to the DCA diary.

Post away man. It's always nice to get remarks and comments from people that are actually involved with the place and know what they are talking about. Always liked reading because I can always laugh and say, "Yep, remember doing that".

I did my private and am doing instrument right now part 61. I think it should be good for someone in a situation like you are in. It allows for flexibility and I found that doing ground school at your own pace is nice as well. Good luck with it, I hope this works out better for you.

Ya know...there are some folks that come to this forum just to flame DCA. There are the DCA apologists that are at the other end of the spectrum. Then there is H46bubba, the one DCA guy I really respect. You call them as you see them....

I hope you don't stop posting.

I don't understand why DCA would not give all it's benefits, such as they are, to a person who does their training under 61 or can't fly 20 hours a week, or whatever it is. But there are many things about DCA that boggle my mind...so I won't ask....

I only wish I had a 172RG instead of a 152 aerobat, so I could invite you up and help you get your commercial out of the way.

I'm glad you were able to use your hard won VA benes to train at DCA...that is one place where the "big academies" have the FBO's beat.

Please keep us up on how things go for you.

Well I guess I'll just keep posting then.
smile.gif
I don't really care about the instructing at DCA bit, but I did sort of wanted the bridge program. It helps immensly for when you go for an interview and when you hit then sim portion of training. The VA bennies were good, but I maxed out for inst/comm, since I had previous instrument training prior to comming to DCA. I can use that toward finishing up my degree now.

I guess the academy considers their Part 61 substandard to the requirments for DCA instructing. A bunch of B.S. if you ask me, but I digress!
rolleyes.gif

Tomorrow I start getting some ground instruction for the PA-28R. It's a beast and I'm a little intimidated and giddy at the same time.
crazy.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tomorrow I start getting some ground instruction for the PA-28R. It's a beast and I'm a little intimidated and giddy at the same time.
crazy.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring your A-game!

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
crazy.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the glide performance gear down. It really makes you respect the engine!

G

DCA Diary

Sorry for the long pause. I've been activly searching for a new job. Working at DCA is becoming a pain in my a$$! I've had two flights in the Arrow now. All I can say is that it's a beast of a plane. My landing aren't too bad, though I did get one don't ever do that again landing. I put in the last notch of flaps too late and got to slow which made for a really rough landing. The weather's been hampering my flying time (I do hate VFR most times!) Had to cancel yesterday, Ceilngs were at 300 Ft. Had to cancel this morning, same reason. Hopefully the clouds will move out by the time my flight this evening comes around.

Bidding DCA farewell?

Well living in Central Florida is becoming non-condusive to quality of life as well as my flight training. I'm starting to get that Socal strain feeling on my wallet, plus I f'n hate the weather here. I've put in for a transfer to either CVG, CHO, ROA, TYS, or SDF. I need to slow the op tempo down from a hub with over 30 something flights a shift to maybe 8-10. My body is begging for mercy!
crazy.gif

I'm getting that gerbal on the spinning wheel feeling as far as my flight traing is going and I've just about spent my $48,000 on VFP, Inst, and CSEL which is almost slowly coming to being complete. I'm moving to slow for the instructors so, I get passed along to another istructor as the token student. And they are always close to doing their MEI. I'm picky who I fly with and the number of instructors Standz'd in the Arrow is limited. Don;t read this the wrong way, i'f your looking into DCA. The training is really good, but if you're not in it full time it can get mind numbing as far as using the checklist constantly(Arrow). Man I've been here almost two years and I still cant recognize a lot land marks for position calls in the plethora of traing areas here. Whoever's dumba$$ idea it was to start aviation academys in FL was an idiot! Good weather year round my a$$!
banghead.gif
I've had a blast mostly and have met some great individuals who have moved on, who are still around, and those who I still see on a daily basis out their flying the line. I hope I can fish up my CSEL at DCA, but I hope to be out of here by the end of October.

Re: Bidding DCA farewell?

[ QUOTE ]
Well living in Central Florida is becoming non-condusive to quality of life as well as my flight training. I'm starting to get that Socal strain feeling on my wallet, plus I f'n hate the weather here. I've put in for a transfer to either CVG, CHO, ROA, TYS, or SDF. I need to slow the op tempo down from a hub with over 30 something flights a shift to maybe 8-10. My body is begging for mercy!
crazy.gif

I'm getting that gerbal on the spinning wheel feeling as far as my flight traing is going and I've just about spent my $48,000 on VFP, Inst, and CSEL which is almost slowly coming to being complete. I'm moving to slow for the instructors so, I get passed along to another istructor as the token student. And they are always close to doing their MEI. I'm picky who I fly with and the number of instructors Standz'd in the Arrow is limited. Don;t read this the wrong way, i'f your looking into DCA. The training is really good, but if you're not in it full time it can get mind numbing as far as using the checklist constantly(Arrow). Man I've been here almost two years and I still cant recognize a lot land marks for position calls in the plethora of traing areas here. Whoever's dumba$$ idea it was to start aviation academys in FL was an idiot! Good weather year round my a$$!
banghead.gif
I've had a blast mostly and have met some great individuals who have moved on, who are still around, and those who I still see on a daily basis out their flying the line. I hope I can fish up my CSEL at DCA, but I hope to be out of here by the end of October.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish you success Bubba, just don't give up your dream!
You'll make it man, I'm countin on ya. Really enjoyed your diary, keep it up.
rawk.gif

Re: Bidding DCA farewell?

I'm not. I'm going to pick up at Charlottesville Flight Center. It is right next door to the terminal.
nana2.gif
I get to complete my CSAL in a Cirrus!
rawk.gif

I just took all my money out of my account at DCA, which is the first step. I'll pay as I go, if I want to fly before I dis-enroll. I'm just waiting for the paperwork and rigeramorough to go through in CVG. I met with the CHO station manager on Wednesday. Got my fingers crossed that it won't take long!
crazy.gif

Closing the DCA Diary!

Well I just wanted to thank everyone for reading my diary and for those that posted. I turned in my i.d. badge on the 31st of October. I wish all thos still there good luck and hope to see everyone on the line. I'm currently sitting out in the sticks in rural New Mexico doing sqwat. I should be heading home to San Diego to finish everything up at my previous FBO. See Ya!

Don't give up!! Keep movin forward!!

Really enjoyed the diary, Bubba. Were you a victim of Comairs' trouble? Don't feel bad, a lot of folks were hit by Deltas' troubles, myself included.

So now I ask the question, Will Comair Pilots support mainline Delta Pilots in a strike action? That is the question. Oh Yeah Ohio State rules over Michigoons!!!

Hope to see everyone on the line soon, if not at Comair, somewhere!!

No I'm glad I wasn't a casualty. I planned to quit before Delta announced Ch.11 and Comair announced cuts. Comair was and is a really great company. They just didn't have any choice in the matter. I would liked to have stayed, but my wife had a good educational offer and we were ready to leave Florida.

Back