DCA Advertising

Has anyone looked into the Jet Connect program? It's advertised at our local FBO and says that
"After completing your private, instrument, and single engine commercial ratings, you will transfer to Delta Connection Academy to obtain your commercial multi-engine and flight instructor ratings. Thereafter, you will return to the local FBO as an instructor that has been trained to airline standards.

After you complete 800 hours as a flight instructor at the local FBO you will be eligible to return to Delta Connection Academy to complete 300 hours of dual flight instruction."

It seems like they are offering this as a way to get more students CFI/CFII jobs at Local FBOs, instead of turning them down because there aren't enough instructor jobs at DCA.

David

[ QUOTE ]
"Getting and feeling "qualified" is another matter though..."

Well....the FAA says a 61 guy is just as "qualified" as a DCA guy. Is your assertion that one shouldn't "feel" qualified unless one went to DCA?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that is not what I mean. I meant there is more than one way to skin a cat... some are sloppy and some are efficient... in the end the cat is still skinned... (and I am not comparing part 61 and part 141 here)

If you feel that those at DCA feel superior in any way... I am sorry, I don't feel that way. I also don't think that DCA is the only flight school doing a good job out there. I am a low time flight instructor building up my hours.

But why are you so negative about the quality of training offered at DCA . You may not like the ads, or what you hear about DCA's policies. But even after reading about someone that did not get hired ,and could hold a grudge against the scholl, say nice things about it you are still not convinced...

Perhaps you should come and see for yourself... I would be glad to show you the place.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As far as meeting the standard and getting the certificate... You can get the certificate anywhere... Heck all yo have to do is memorize the Gleim and get a 75% on the written, and then fly within PTS limits and you get "certified". Getting and feeling "qualified" is another matter though...

wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking nonsense here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? So do you really think that once you have the "card" in your wallet you are done?

Please don't get me wrong, but do you really think that flight training is really that homogeneous ?

confused.gif

dude thats cool if you wanna be a sheep and let a school decide your future based on CFI checkrides whose difficulty are adjusted as to whether there is a need for instructors or not.

I on the other hand prefer being in control of my money and future career and not pay money for meaningless sh*! like "Jet Connect". PlaneDive, sounds like youve been drinkin the Comair kool-aid a little too much.

But remember kiddies: "We are the ONLY SCHOOL authorized to serve the entire Delta Connection System" LOL freakin hilarious i tell ya. What are your advertising dudes smokin anyway?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As far as meeting the standard and getting the certificate... You can get the certificate anywhere... Heck all yo have to do is memorize the Gleim and get a 75% on the written, and then fly within PTS limits and you get "certified". Getting and feeling "qualified" is another matter though...

wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking nonsense here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? So do you really think that once you have the "card" in your wallet you are done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Done what? Are you done getting your certificates? Yes! You've acomplished that goal.

[ QUOTE ]

Please don't get me wrong, but do you really think that flight training is really that homogeneous ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that a certificate from one school is worth the exact same as a certificate from the place across the street.

This thread is going on and on and on!
banghead.gif
We all know and agree that the marketing sucks. This thread is delving into more personal issues. It has digressed into a big grudge match.
argue.gif
Who's method of training is better as well as how and where you get your training. WHO F'N CARES! There is no one better way of training. They all get the same certificates issued by the same Administration. If some schools want to take their standards beyond that of the PTS, so be it. As to which path they choose is up to the individual and which method suits his needs. We're all entitled to our opinions, which is our right. This forum is here to inform. Prospective students could be turned off by the level of debate as well as the tone of the thread. We all are idividules and have different training and are at different stages of flying. We all have something to share. But debate over DCA's marketing is limited and pretty much a dead issue. It sucks, it will suck until the brass at DCA get the hint or they hire an outstanding marketeting director.

I think that a certificate from one school is worth the exact same as a certificate from the place across the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Therein lies the problem... The cards are exactly the same, and the FAA does not discriminate... But one just have to be flying out there to see that in reality things are not that way.

Hey!

We are having some fun here!

I don't think anyone is taking this personally... we are all pilots so I assume there is a good sense of humor on all people that post... and all that visit ....

See you at school...

By the way the "cool-aid" is pretty good this week...
wink.gif

One suggestion: Lose the elitist attitude about how your school is "above standards" I am really turned off at some of the arrogance i see coming out of 141 schools in general.

<--------- BTW looks like our buddy George got a little too "Funkadelic"
grin.gif

"Prospective students could be turned off by the level of debate as well as the tone of the thread."

If anything, a prospective student who finds jetcareers will see this thread and realize there is some controversy over DCA advertising. Maybe they will be extra cautious and do more research on flight training and the career in general. If so, then I'll consider my little war against DCA's advertising a victory.

[ QUOTE ]
"Prospective students could be turned off by the level of debate as well as the tone of the thread."

If anything, a prospective student who finds jetcareers will see this thread and realize there is some controversy over DCA advertising. Maybe they will be extra cautious and do more research on flight training and the career in general. If so, then I'll consider my little war against DCA's advertising a victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which category do you fit in? Disgruntled former student, and/or someone who didn't get a CFI/CFII job at DCA? I'm totally ignoring the marketing, after all marketing is just another word for lying. I'm willing to pay more for a higher quality of training, it's just money.

[ QUOTE ]
Which category do you fit in? Disgruntled former student, and/or someone who didn't get a CFI/CFII job at DCA?

[/ QUOTE ]

HaHaHa I highly doubt Don needs a CFI job at "Delta" Connection Academy.

[/rolling on the floor laughing]

[ QUOTE ]
Which category do you fit in? Disgruntled former student, and/or someone who didn't get a CFI/CFII job at DCA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, there are successful individuals that did not attend DCA, had no desire to, and think that some of their techniques are a blight on the flight training industry.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm totally ignoring the marketing, after all marketing is just another word for lying. I'm willing to pay more for a higher quality of training, it's just money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points about marketing. The best way to get a feel for ANY flight school is to visit the school, and talk to current students. I trained in Orlando, so I've had a lot of interaction with DCA students. I've had some that think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I've met even more that feel like they've been ripped off. Personally, I think they charge too much, which is why I didn't go there. It was at the top of my list for a while. As far as "higher quality training," it depends on your instructor. It might be the same school, and it might be 141, but that can't change your instructor's personality and work ethic. Some instructors are just there to put in the time for the interview. Those are the guys you DON'T want. There are instructors there that actually like to teach and enjoy that step in getting to the airlines. If you can get one of these guys, it will help your training a lot. If you look around, you might even be able to find the same quality of instruction at an FBO. Believe me, it DOES exist. Two of my instructors at my FBO were ex-DCA. Wanna know why they didn't get hired? 'Cause when their CFI classes ended, DCA had no spots open. So, they had the option of waiting up to 6 months for a standz class and starving or going somewhere else to instruct.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck is that supposed to mean? Are you saying that anyone that didn't work at DCA either couldn't get a job there or couldn't hack it there? You might want to hang that attitude up at the door....

[ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to pay more for a higher quality of training, it's just money.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you qualify "higher standard of training"?

My point is that everyone has their own take on DCA based on their experiences. I know that there are people out there who have nothing but good things to say about DCA. I also know there are people that had nothing but bad experiences. So my motivation for asking anyone whether they are a former disgruntled student, or someone who didn't get hired, is my way of being blunt and tring to figure out what their personal experience was with DCA. I'm not saying that if you can't get a job at DCA then you can't hack it anywhere, I'm just wondering how many of these posts containing such negitive things in them are written by people who just didn't have things work out like they'd like them to... I'm searching for objective answers to some questions about DCA, and so far I've seen nothing but people with some serious attitudes. I love to fly and I'd be just as happy as a CFI/CFII/MEI at my local FBO, as I would be flying a 747.

"I'm totally ignoring the marketing, after all marketing is just another word for lying"

Okay...are you saying you think the DCA marketing is less than truthful? I guess I'm old school but I don't think marketing should be another word for lying.

Back