DC Pro X... can you hear the other crewmembers without using interphone?

smig

I currently use a Telex 850. It is ok, certainly better than a 750, but I would like a little more noise reduction.

Can anyone who uses a DC Pro X give me some feedback on how well it works in a Boeing cockpit? Since nobody uses the interphone, I need a headset that blocks out enough noise to be able to understand foreign controllers, but at the same time I would like to be able to hear the other crewmembers without uncovering one ear.

I'm also interested in any feedback on these. I've been using Bose for a number of years now and I'm getting tired of sending them off every year for repairs. Great noise cancelling, but they sure don't seem as durable as my old pair of DCs.

Just swapped from the Bose X to the DC Pro X...been using it for about a month, in the cockpit of a Q400...and I'm very happy with it. The bluetooth makes a slight "hiss" when it's on, but the sound quality is very nice and I like having the ability to stream to my headset.

I just got the DC pro X about a month ago. I am pretty happy with it so far. I use it in the 737-700,800 and 300. The noise cancellation is pretty nice, although I have never used a Bose to really compare.

As to the OP's question, I personally have to uncover one ear when we are not on the interphone to hear the other crew member. For example, we are usually not hot mic when we are pushing back until the tug driver unhooks, so I uncover one ear. Fortunately, almost everyone here uses the interphone, so that is usually the only time I have to do that. However, our 300s don't all have lockable hot mic switches yet, so on those flights I usually leave one ear uncovered which is a pita.

I do wonder though, since everyone is used to using the interphone, they are used to talking quieter and that's the reason I can't hear them with both ears covered. If everyone was used to talking in their non interphone voice, it might be different. Hope that helps.

I've been using Bose for a number of years now and I'm getting tired of sending them off every year for repairs. Great noise cancelling, but they sure don't seem as durable as my old pair of DCs.

What kinds of repairs are you having to do on them? You talking Xs or A20s?

Shorts in the cord or the headphone jack having problems. They need to be sent back right now, but I've been making them work for the time being.
That's why I bailed on my Bose X's...two places it was starting to short out. Once Bose stopped supporting it, I said 'Thanks, but I'll try someone else'

I swear by DC products for a few reasons, so I picked up the pro-x last year.

I fly the bus, which is much quieter then the 73's, so I can easily hear the dude with them on, interphome off.
However I was in the Jumpseat of a southworst bird, and I had to uncup one ear to hear.

My batteries last forever since most guys use the ship's headset and above 180 we always go topless.

I accidentally smashed the battery box/volume pod on my Xs, but up to that point, I'd had no issues with my Bose X, but I'd only used it for about two years and circa 1000 hours of flying.

I'm back to using it again now, so I'm interested to see if I have similar breakages.

I currently use a Telex 850. It is ok, certainly better than a 750, but I would like a little more noise reduction.

Can anyone who uses a DC Pro X give me some feedback on how well it works in a Boeing cockpit? Since nobody uses the interphone, I need a headset that blocks out enough noise to be able to understand foreign controllers, but at the same time I would like to be able to hear the other crewmembers without uncovering one ear.

The Airbus has an interphone and we'll generally have headsets on below FL180 and then off above, but the cockpit is dead quiet anyway.

You can hear the other crewmember with the interphone off, headsets on and the ENC on. I'll generally pull one ear back on the ground before pushback is complete and the tug driver is off the interphone.

I accidentally smashed the battery box/volume pod on my Xs, but up to that point, I'd had no issues with my Bose X, but I'd only used it for about two years and circa 1000 hours of flying.

I'm back to using it again now, so I'm interested to see if I have similar breakages.

Flying the 200 beats everything you own to a pulp. 2-3 airplane changes /day etc... Takes its toll.

I cannot speak for the Boeing, but we use the DC pro in out citation XLS which is not a loud plane at all. The noise canceling is awesome. Very quiet. We have to use interphone to talk. When someone comes up to talk to us standing between us I have to kick it off one ear to hear them.
I've yet to have any problems with them. The Bluetooth is very nice.

Exactly! At the operation I work at, it trended that the old guys didn't like the interphone. They would say 'we didn't have them on the 72-...so we're not going to use it now on the 73!' smh.

So- when I upgraded my first purchase was for the DC ProX...and a bag of rubber bands for those airplanes that don't have the locking interphone.

The DC's are perfect- no fatigue at all, even on a 5+ hour leg.

Yokes are for blokes:
a50e09988c3e15782a8288cfb56eb778.jpg

I can actually fly my plane without computers or their permission. Boeing will always be better.

What's worse?.... Asking an Airbus for permission or never knowing what a Douglas is going to do regardless of what you tell it, especially in vnav! Hmmmmm

Back