DC Pro X... can you hear the other crewmembers without using interphone?

Why doesn't anyone use the interphone?

I have never been able to figure that one out. Why the vast majority of pilots prefer to shout over the cockpit noise is beyond my comprehension.

That is why I really hate flying with those guys who feel they need to talk the entire time. It is very fatiguing for me to try to communicate long periods of time over the noise. They usually stop talking a couple hours into the flight when they realize they are having a one-way conversation.

What's worse?.... Asking an Airbus for permission or never knowing what a Douglas is going to do regardless of what you tell it, especially in vnav! Hmmmmm

A Bombardier is worse. You don't have to ask if for permission, and regardless of what you tell it to do, it's going to break whenever you do pretty much anything. The other day.... "How dare you try to push back from the gate?! FMS Database Fail!"

A Bombardier is worse. You don't have to ask if for permission, and regardless of what you tell it to do, it's going to break whenever you do pretty much anything. The other day.... "How dare you try to push back from the gate?! FMS Database Fail!"
This is actually the fault of the captain, so I'm told, in this particular instance.

STEER INOP
EFIS COMP MON

etc.

(I finally had a triple chime on the 175 the other day, and it meant it.)

Just a measly piston driver here, but my clarity alofts are legit. Trade off buying ear plugs vs batteries however.

I don't get the whole buying batteries deal.... I've been using the same two rechargable batteries in my headset for almost 3 years... It was a one time $20 investment... They last about 5 days of flying... I just put them back on the charger when I get home. I've seen captains get all excited when maintenance offered them free batteries and offered me some. They were shocked when I turned them down... Anyone heard of rechargable batteries !?!?!? /endrant

I don't get the whole buying batteries deal.... I've been using the same two rechargable batteries in my headset for almost 3 years... It was a one time $20 investment... They last about 5 days of flying... I just put them back on the charger when I get home. I've seen captains get all excited when maintenance offered them free batteries and offered me some. They were shocked when I turned them down... Anyone heard of rechargable batteries !?!?!? /endrant

I did the same when I was still using my Bose. I had a four pack. Two fresh charged in the headset and the other two for backup. Swapped out after trips. Never had to go buy batteries.

Maybe it's a generational/cultural thing.

When I started CFIing, back when the earth was cooling, portable intercoms were JUST starting to be introduced, and practically no airplanes had them built in. Heck, it wasn't until the late 80s that people were JUST starting to figure out that headsets might be a good idea. They were REALLY expensive for the time...and I'm just talking about the garden variety DC 10-30s...Bose ANR wasn't even a dream at that point. If you showed up, and only one person had a headset, that defeated the purpose.

By the end of 1990, they were becoming much more common, and everyone could get a portable system. I kept one in my bag.

When I was flying on the 1900, back when the trilobites still ruled the seas, it had a great VOX system. The 99 was a PTT system.

The DHC-8 didn't need one...it was pretty quiet, although the -200s had hot mike feature.

At the majors, none of the airplanes came equipped for it, except the A320, which had a hot mike. But no one seemed to care. Hell, the 727 didn't even have headsets in it. Everyone wore those creepy in-the-ear things. But none of the guys flying it really were in tune with the VOX thing. because they had come from an era before that, and the cultural thing is pretty hard to overcome at that point.

I'm not quite sure what the big deal is, but if you look at the overhead panel of a 737-900, you might figure out what the problem is.

Richman

The 737 is noisy because it has flat windscreens (rather than curved), the windshield wiper is mounted horizontally so that it parks directly in your light of vision during a visual approach... Oh and it's noisy too. And the recirc fans are absurdly noisy.

I just picked up this headset last week. I love it so far. As for the original question, I can sometimes hear what the other guy is saying if he's not on intercom but it depends on how loud he is normally.

Back