DC Pro vs Bose A20

USAFplt

time to buy a new headset as I'm headed to the 737. I was leaning towards the DC pro-x but have been told to check out the Bose which is even more expensive. Before I do the cheap pilot thing and buy the DC's I figured I'd ask if anyone has had experience with both. Thanks for any opinions.

So here's the deal... I have both. I'm on the E-175. My last trip, I brought both along to try them out back to back.

The last leg, I used the Pro-X, and the A20s are going back into the closet to wait for the next time I fly GA.

-Fox

@Acrofox makes an excellent point.
I'm a huge Pro-X fan. I use them.
However...

If you plan on flying anything other than a jet, Pro-X won't help you, and you'll have to get another headset or risk sharing the ship's/rental lice infested headset

I've never tried the A20, but here's another vote for the Pro-X.

I'm one of those weirdos that actually prefers an over the ear headset. I flew with the head clamp David Clark's in the RJ and actually thought they were pretty good. Lugging something that size around for a 17 day trip is a pain, so the Pro-X is a good compromise. Noise cancelling is pretty good on the 747, which has a pretty loud flight deck. Plus the ability to rock out via bluetooth while the other guy is complaining about the contract is priceless.

@Acrofox
If you plan on flying anything other than a jet, Pro-X won't help you, and you'll have to get another headset or risk sharing the ship's/rental lice infested headset

Eh. I use my Pro-X in the Beaver and at TO power they suck, but I've tried them back to back with Bose X and prefer the DC. Being said, if you're buying new, get the One-X if you'll be doing piston flying. The Pro X work, but just.

Pro-X works well in the Dash 8, last long time...and the Bluetooth is kickity assity

BT is awesome for doing Mx write-ups, especially away from the gate in the Dash with both engines going. Minus is that it kills the batteries faster in both the headset and my phone.

I've never owned a pair of DC's ever, but I was really impressed with the A20's when I tried them out. If I could justify trading my Zulu 2's for A20s I would do it, but I'm trying to save money for other things right now. The Bose might be overkill in a 737 though and I'd use the Pro-X just to save room in the bag. I have a pair of Telex 850's used during my time in the Citation and they were good, the ProX are probably even better.

thanks for all the opinions. I had a captain awhile back tell me that the Bose was better all around vs the DC's, but I've noticed a lot more guys using DC's when jumpseating. I noticed they have the one-x as mentioned by a poster above. Is this a newer, better version of the Pro-X's? These will only be used at work in jets..no plan to use them for GA. Thanks again!

thanks for all the opinions. I had a captain awhile back tell me that the Bose was better all around vs the DC's, but I've noticed a lot more guys using DC's when jumpseating. I noticed they have the one-x as mentioned by a poster above. Is this a newer, better version of the Pro-X's? These will only be used at work in jets..no plan to use them for GA. Thanks again!

The One X is just an over the ear version of the Pro X. So for the jet, the Pro X is probably the way to go.

I'm quite a fan of the Telex 850s on the 73. Inexpensive and been using them since the RJ days. Also take up minimal space in a bag, though not quite as minimal as the beloved no longer produced Lightspeed Mach1s.

I've had the pro x bluetooth for 2 years and would never look back. I had the 850 for 3 years before that and its like going from a cobalt to a caddy. I love the pro x.

I guess I'm just a stick in the mud. I've been using Bose since 2007 and absolutely love them. Upgraded to the A20's in 2013. I've used them in the -145, ATR, all Cessna 200 series and I just don't think they can be beat. Every so often I've needed to send them back to Bose to have them rebuilt (gate checked flight case, get back and the ear cup attachment was broken. That took some serious abuse by someone). Usual turnaround time 3 days.
I've briefly used DC and they're fine but they just don't have the same clarity and comfort in my opinion.

I guess I'm just a stick in the mud. I've been using Bose since 2007 and absolutely love them. Upgraded to the A20's in 2013. I've used them in the -145, ATR, all Cessna 200 series and I just don't think they can be beat. Every so often I've needed to send them back to Bose to have them rebuilt (gate checked flight case, get back and the ear cup attachment was broken. That took some serious abuse by someone). Usual turnaround time 3 days.
I've briefly used DC and they're fine but they just don't have the same clarity and comfort in my opinion.

I don't think we could disagree more about the Bose headsets. I used to use one in the tanker and then the Saab. I moved on to a LS Mach 1 and now the Telex 850s and never looked back. You couldn't pay me to wear that Bose crap again. Well, no, you could definitely pay me, but you get the idea. I haven't sent a headset in for repairs since I moved away from the Bose aside from when I broke the post off the Mach 1 once. I had to send the Bose back about every 6 months for something or other.

Okay. We actually don't have to disagree about anything because headsets are personal choices and I was merely stating that I prefer the Bose. Have a cup of chamomile, bud.

Ok, so the One X is bigger and goes over your ears, the Pro X is smaller, and is on top of the ear.

I've been thinking about a new headset but am not sure I could get used to the on top of the ear thing after wearing clamps so long....

Does it at least have some tension or does it just loosely sit on top. I think that would be weird feeling.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Well I will say it is subjective. I think the ANR is amazing on the pro x the comfort is great, but on the atr and 200 Cessnas I could see them being a little loud. I could never go back to anything else other than the pro x personally. I think both are very comfortable and it's just what to you like vs your mission.

I've been using the Bose A20 since August - LOVE THEM!

I was at a National Convention and checked out the Telex, David Clarke, and Bose latest offerings - the Bose won HANDS DOWN!

Back