DC Pro vs Bose A20

I'm on the Emb-145 which is a loud cockpit. I have the Pro-X and love them. You can't even tell they're on your head and the noise canceling is excellent. Bluetooth for music and phone is icing on the cake. When the btteries die, the sound quality is a bit mediocre, but that is handled by making sure you have extra batteries in the bag. What others have said is true though.... they will not work for GA piston flying (but that doesn't sound like a factor for you).

I started with a DC H10-13.4. I eventually added a Headsets Inc ANR kit to it, which dramatically improved the noise reduction. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything for the comfort. You don't realize how uncomfortable a headset is until you try one that IS comfortable.

I had to start wearing glasses a few years back, and the temples of the glasses really started to bother me even on short flights with the headset pushing against them. I eventually bit the bullet and upgraded to a Bose A20. I did quite a bit of research, but was limited to TSO'd headsets due to company policy. I went to a local avionics shop and tried a few different ones, including the DC ONE X, but liked the Bose better. (They didn't have the DC Pro-X).

I've been using the A20s for about 8 months in the Q400. While it is far more comfortable than the old DC H10-13.4, I still seem to be adjusting it constantly, and I still have the issues with glasses, though not as bad. They're fairly comfortable, but I still find myself wanting something more comfortable, and for the price of the Bose, that is unacceptable in my opinion.

Based on what I've read, and what I've heard on here, I just bought a DC Pro X. I plan on bringing the Bose and the DC Pro X with me on a 4 day trip tomorrow, and I'll try them both side by side in the Q400 for the duration of the trip. I'm either going to return the Pro X, or sell the A20s after the trip. My deciding criteria will be comfort, as I believe that both of them will provide quality sound and sufficient noise reduction.

My initial impression of the DC Pro X is very positive. They seem a bit more comfortable with my glasses as they aren't constantly pressing against the temples. They're a good bit lighter too, which doesn't seem like much, but after a long day of flying, I don't dare underestimate the impact of that little bit of weight reduction. They also seem to have a little less clamping force than the Bose as well, which I like very much. And @SurferLucas is correct... the Bluetooth is kickity assity, and music seems to sound just as good as the Bose.

I'll post back and let you guys know which one I end up keeping.

I love the A20 but man they suck to carry around. My flight bag is mainly my cooler and holds my EFB and enough for a 4-5 day.

The Bose headset is just so big I can't find a bag to hold it and everything else. Kinda wish I just had a telex for space but.....the A20 is a really good headset.

Well, I ended up only bringing the DC Pro X with me on my 4 day trip since I didn't have room for both in my flight bag. I gave them a fair shot, but at the end of the trip I was happy to be done with them. Sadly, the DC Pro X will be going back. I really wanted to like them, especially since they are made in the USA, but it looks like I will be sticking with the Bose for now and my quest for a more comfortable headset continues.

I had a few issues, but the deal breaker for the DCs was comfort, but I doubt this would be an issue for too many other folks. The on-ear style seems to crease or pinch part of my left ear, though no trouble with the right ear. This wasn't apparent until I wore them for 20-30 minutes, then it started to be a bit painful, so by the end of the day I was very glad to be done with them. I tried reversing the ear cups, but it made no difference. I guess my ears aren't exactly symmetrical... who knew. If it wasn't for that issue, I think these would be an extremely comfortable headset.

These didn't really play nice with the Q400 for whatever reason either. The other pilot mentioned that the #2 radio would bleed through into their headset even when not selected, which was only an issue when my headset was plugged in. I actually unplugged it and the problem immediately went away, and this occurred with 5 different aircraft so it was most definitely my headset. I also had some issues with communication quality as well. I was actually getting some mic feedback squeal with them a couple times, not really sure why since I've never had that issue with any other headset, and often my voice sounded like I was in a tunnel when I spoke on the radio. I had to keep the volume turned up on the radio since it was a little harder to hear with these, and turning it down a little seemed to help but did not eliminate the problem.

The Bose beats the DCs for noise reduction hands down, no contest. The DCs were totally adequate for the Q400, however not nearly as quiet as the Bose. If it wasn't for the issue with my left ear, I think the DCs would be a far more comfortable headset than the Bose and I probably would have kept them. They are far more tolerant of wearing glasses than the Bose. As far as the audio panel issues, I'm not sure what was going on there, but that may or may not be an issue with other type aircraft, and it's entirely possible I just got a bad one. The Bose on the other hand always played nice, and just worked without any issues.

That's too bad about the Pro-X, I have them and they've been solid since my days tooting around the pattern in a 172. Have you considered they might be defective? DC's customer service is excellent, they fixed my headset free of charge after I "accidently" put the batteries in backward...

I just bought the pro x's. My Telex 850's were stolen. I borrowed a friends Bose set and didn't like them. Too bulky, too much clamping force, actually hurt the crown of my head, and hard to put on and take sunglasses off with headset on.

The DC's were lighter, more compact, just as much clarity, BT works great, and ANR works just as well as the Bose. $400 cheaper to boot.

I'd go with the pro X's any day of the week.

time to buy a new headset as I'm headed to the 737. I was leaning towards the DC pro-x but have been told to check out the Bose which is even more expensive. Before I do the cheap pilot thing and buy the DC's I figured I'd ask if anyone has had experience with both. Thanks for any opinions.
Lightspeed.

Back