DC headset

Pilotcollin

I bought a dc x11 several years ago. I just sent it in for repair. Dc is telling me it is no longer serviceable as the x11 was retired in 2011. It works still. Now Dc is offering me a 20% discount on any Dc headset.
2 questions for all.

Is 20% a deal? I feel a little ripped off. I spent $900 in 2007 on a dc for their support and quality. Now I’m offered just 20%

What is a good dc headset? I fly a hawker. It’s loud.

That stinks.

I have a Pro-X that I’ve used in the ‘bus, CRJ and 175. Would recommend it as a comfortable all-day headset that also reduces noise pretty well through ANR, though I’m not sure how noisy the Hawkah is.

What's wrong with it?
If they no longer support it maybe they would give you a diagnostic and possibly an electronics or avionics repair shop could do a component repair? I'm guessing DC just dealt in ready to go modules/circuit boards/potentiometers etc , but those components might have individual components that a tech could solder on to a board or whatever the case may be? I dunno

Or a place like this

there are enough units out there, that an aftermarket repair place might exist in the USA somewhere, I would think so.
Maybe contact the UK place and see if they know of a USA place offering similar service.

Or ask DC if they have a referral, maybe get past the front line people at DC that want to sell new stuff, and get to a bench tech that hopefully just likes being helpful.

Ooops, just noticed their site says no X-11, but they might have a lead, or who knows, Good luck.

Last edited:
I bought a dc x11 several years ago. I just sent it in for repair. Dc is telling me it is no longer serviceable as the x11 was retired in 2011. It works still. Now Dc is offering me a 20% discount on any Dc headset.
2 questions for all.

Is 20% a deal? I feel a little ripped off. I spent $900 in 2007 on a dc for their support and quality. Now I’m offered just 20%

Given that they sell parts and service far, far older headsets -- I suspect they couldn't get parts from their suppliers for those a decade ago, hence why they were probably discontinued.

I really like the Bose A20's, and every David Clark I've ever had. While $900 is a lot of money, 14 years is pretty good for something to last as well. I think the universe might be telling you that it's time for something newer.

I use the DC Pro 2 in the 737 (loudest jet I've flown over Citation, Hawkers, Falcons) its more than adequate. Anything ANR will work. I used Telex 750s in Hawkers for a long time and they were fine. Hawkers aren't bad.

Depends if you want over the ear, in the ear, on the ear...

Let me guess, static-y noise cancellation on the x11's? That's how mine went out several years ago.

Trust me, the Pro-Xs are worth it and are lightyears ahead of the x11. When I worked survey I routinely wore them for 8+ hours a day (longest day was 11.6) and they never really got uncomfortable. Use them in the CRJ now and I can hear it when the ice detector is about to trigger.

I really like the Bose A20's, and every David Clark I've ever had. While $900 is a lot of money, 14 years is pretty good for something to last as well. I think the universe might be telling you that it's time for something newer.
I like Lightspeed over Bose, if forced to choose; the Zulu 2 is the only reason the Brasilia and Twin Bonanza did not completely destroy my hearing. That said, the A20 is a perfectly adequate, if not pricey, ANR set too (those were our King Air ship's sets).

That stinks.

I have a Pro-X that I’ve used in the ‘bus, CRJ and 175. Would recommend it as a comfortable all-day headset that also reduces noise pretty well through ANR, though I’m not sure how noisy the Hawkah is.

+1 for the pro X.

Works really well in the noisy ATR......also, last year the left earcup completely failed and they basically rebuilt the headset free of charge.

DC has a reputation for customer service for a reason.

I like Lightspeed over Bose, if forced to choose; the Zulu 2 is the only reason the Brasilia and Twin Bonanza did not completely destroy my hearing. That said, the A20 is a perfectly adequate, if not pricey, ANR set too (those were our King Air ship's sets).

Agree with this. I had an original Zulu, and a Zulu 2. I sent them both in for the trade-up program and now have two sets of Zulu 3s, and they're awesome. For one reason or another, the Bose squeezed my melon in all the wrong places. The Zulus are more comfortable for me.

Have both the A20 and Zulu 3. Won the Zulu 3 at Aircraft Spruce. Both are comfortable but ANR is better with the A20.

As soon as I put the Zulu‘s on my wife claimed the A20’s so I guess I’m stuck with them.

Agree with this. I had an original Zulu, and a Zulu 2. I sent them both in for the trade-up program and now have two sets of Zulu 3s, and they're awesome. For one reason or another, the Bose squeezed my melon in all the wrong places. The Zulus are more comfortable for me.

Yep, I've had XL, 3G, Z, Z2 Tried A-20's did not care for the overall fit and boom configuration. I did like you could switch sides of the boom.
At one point I was going to switch to BOSE, but that was when they were saying they would NEVER offer bluetooth music. Turns out "Never" was when Lightspeed continued to erode their market share.

I have had way more failures (annoying static etc, not out of service) than my BOSE co-workers, but Lightspeed is great about service.
My last Zulu 2 was a lemon, lots of trips to the shop. A bit annoying when they say "No one has reported that failure before" when I know 3 people that had the same issue.
I learned my company would pay 1/2 the cost of a quality headset, so my Z2 warranty was up, I'm sure based on the number of returns they probably would have still supported it for a while longer, but who knows?
The Z3 was out, I just got my Z2 back from an off season repair, Spruce had a great Z2 trade in price for Z3 so with the company 1/2 to switch and get a fresh 7 year warranty was $30-$40 out of pocket. No brainer.

The one Spruce sent had an issue right out of the box, called Lightspeed and got someone on the phone that actually looked at my service history and understood, I told him I did not want a "repair" I wanted a brand new one sent immediately, and I would return this one. He agreed and 2 years later it has had zero issues.

I would prefer the "Com Priority" would remember the setting, like it did on my Z2 (but that went away after one repair that they changed the control box) each power cycle you have to deselect it if you don't want music muting.

One co-worker still has a PFX, loves it, I understood those had lots of failures, and went away.

.....cool story bro'

Back