David Clark

cmac88

I've been in dire need of a new headset and recently I came across an ad on craigslist for a set of DC's for $150... figured it wasn't a bad price if they were in good condition so I checked them out. They were old but absolutely immaculate, in the original box and all original paperwork in it's original plastic. Needless to say I kinda fell in love with them bought them and headed out to fly today.
Unfortunately the mic wasn't quite working right. Since I only live about 45 min from the DC HQ I decided to drive over and have them look at them. I was also interested in finding out the actual age. I got there 30 min before they left for the weekend and the guy still enthusiastically offered to help. 15 minutes later I was walking out with a completely restored headset complete with a redone mic, new ear pieces, and they even added a pad on the head strap for good measure. For all this they charged me a total of $0 for a headset they new I had just bought from someone else. He also informed me that they were originally made in Dec 1983 and he'd never seen a set that old in such good condition.

I can't say enough about the company and how professional the whole experience was. I can firmly say they gained a lifelong customer today. Definetely made my day!

They made me pay $83 for the same thing! That's poor CS to give one person free service and charge others for the same thing. They were clearly out of warranty. Mine weren't even that old. (And even after I paid I still haven't been able to get them to work right 100% of the time.)

They made me pay $83 for the same thing! That's poor CS to give one person free service and charge others for the same thing. They were clearly out of warranty. Mine weren't even that old. (And even after I paid I still haven't been able to get them to work right 100% of the time.)

That is the first time I have ever heard anyone say anything about DC customer service other than, "It was the best service experience I've ever had."

That is the first time I have ever heard anyone say anything about DC customer service other than, "It was the best service experience I've ever had."
I was really not the least bit impressed. I had heard so many people say, "I sent them in way out of warranty and they did it all for free.", so I spent the $12 to mail it to them only to received a letter in the mail that they wanted $83 to fix them. I called them and told them that I had been told by others that it was free and they said that they were out of the warranty period, so I would have to pay. I told her I'd have to think about it and called back a few days later and reluctantly paid. When I got them back half the time ATC tells me it goes in and out when I talk and nothing I do can make it work properly. (It's been in more than one plane too and my cheap $100 headset works fine when I switch out.) I would never buy another.

I was really not the least bit impressed. I had heard so many people say, "I sent them in way out of warranty and they did it all for free.", so I spent the $12 to mail it to them only to received a letter in the mail that they wanted $83 to fix them. I called them and told them that I had been told by others and it was free and they said that they were out of the warranty period, so I would have to pay. I told her I'd have to think about it and called back a few days later and reluctantly paid. When I got them back half the time ATC tells me it goes in and out when I talk and nothing I do can make it work properly. (It's been in more than one plane too and my cheap $100 headset works fine when I switch out.) I would never buy another.

Same for me. They quoted me ~$180. I told them to send them back without repair and when they did, the mic plug was bent to the point it wouldn't go into the receptacle in the plane anymore. Back again and they said they would give me 1/2 off.

I agree with you...very overblown.

DC changed their customer service protocol some years ago. Lightspeed is the way to go I have never paid for an out of warranty repair.

I was really not the least bit impressed. I had heard so many people say, "I sent them in way out of warranty and they did it all for free.", so I spent the $12 to mail it to them only to received a letter in the mail that they wanted $83 to fix them. I called them and told them that I had been told by others that it was free and they said that they were out of the warranty period, so I would have to pay. I told her I'd have to think about it and called back a few days later and reluctantly paid. When I got them back half the time ATC tells me it goes in and out when I talk and nothing I do can make it work properly. (It's been in more than one plane too and my cheap $100 headset works fine when I switch out.) I would never buy another.

Try some sandpaper on the plugs, they seen to oxidize quickly in FL...

You crack me up.

You really expect a company to honor what you've "heard so many people say", rather than their published policy? Then you get pissed off because they choose to give other people better service than they advertise (or they gave you)? An $83 dollar repair bill is not out of reason, so why get worked up over that? Even more important, why get upset when someone else gets a really good deal (free!)? Did they promise you free??? Sometimes people have good things happen to them...why begrudge them?

I've never heard of anything bad other than the two above posts about DC customer service. I think they do a great job and any out of warrantee repair is always reasonable, when they charge you...

Well I really think it depends on what the issue is... mine obviously wasnt anything more than a very basic and simple repair that took no more than 10 minutes. I think they do provide the same service depending on what the repair is.... obviously if it's something that needed a new part or extensive, take-it-apart and put-it-together repair I'm sure I would have been charged.

I was more overly impressed with the quick view I had of their operation. It just seemed like a good company from the ground up.

Try some sandpaper on the plugs, they seen to oxidize quickly in FL...

I guess I should have tried that before I sent them in.

Anyways, I just got mine back yesterday. Paid $83 for the repair. I haven't tested it yet, but they got it back to me very fast.

Ick. David Clamp Clarks give me a headache..too heavy I guess. I wish they made something lighter. I can only stand them for about an hour before they're hanging around my neck. Ill stick with my little Telex set.

I've been in dire need of a new headset and recently I came across an ad on craigslist for a set of DC's for $150... figured it wasn't a bad price if they were in good condition so I checked them out. They were old but absolutely immaculate, in the original box and all original paperwork in it's original plastic. Needless to say I kinda fell in love with them bought them and headed out to fly today.
Unfortunately the mic wasn't quite working right. Since I only live about 45 min from the DC HQ I decided to drive over and have them look at them. I was also interested in finding out the actual age. I got there 30 min before they left for the weekend and the guy still enthusiastically offered to help. 15 minutes later I was walking out with a completely restored headset complete with a redone mic, new ear pieces, and they even added a pad on the head strap for good measure. For all this they charged me a total of $0 for a headset they new I had just bought from someone else. He also informed me that they were originally made in Dec 1983 and he'd never seen a set that old in such good condition.

I can't say enough about the company and how professional the whole experience was. I can firmly say they gained a lifelong customer today. Definetely made my day!

Had a very similar experience when I showed up to there facility unannounced. Needless to say I went Bose and haven't looked back. Keep the DC in the plane for the pax lol

You crack me up.

You really expect a company to honor what you've "heard so many people say", rather than their published policy? Then you get pissed off because they choose to give other people better service than they advertise (or they gave you)? An $83 dollar repair bill is not out of reason, so why get worked up over that? Even more important, why get upset when someone else gets a really good deal (free!)? Did they promise you free??? Sometimes people have good things happen to them...why begrudge them?
To me $83 is crazy! I only paid $100 for my first pair and they work great. Having to pay that much just to get them "repaired" is not acceptable. I really didn't h ave it at that time either, so it made it really hard.

To me $83 is crazy! I only paid $100 for my first pair and they work great. Having to pay that much just to get them "repaired" is not acceptable. I really didn't h ave it at that time either, so it made it really hard.

$100 for a pair of DCs? How long ago was that? Was it a used pair? To have anything done in aviation for less than $100 is usually a win. I hear DC changed their policy because so many people began taking advantage of it. Honestly, how do you expect a company to just give free repairs/refurb regardless of age of a product? If you got it back and it's still not working, than I would talk to a supervisor there and let them know what happened, but to just send your stuff in assuming it's going to be a free repair is a bit over the top

$100 for a pair of DCs? How long ago was that? Was it a used pair? To have anything done in aviation for less than $100 is usually a win. I hear DC changed their policy because so many people began taking advantage of it. Honestly, how do you expect a company to just give free repairs/refurb regardless of age of a product? If you got it back and it's still not working, than I would talk to a supervisor there and let them know what happened, but to just send your stuff in assuming it's going to be a free repair is a bit over the top
When everyone is else is saying they got it repaired for free and I had no idea how long their warranty period was. Actually their letter was the first I had ever of it expiring. I bought them used and they didn't work when they got here, but figured I would just send them off for repair, no problem. My first pair were not DC, but definitely work better! (And look, here again we see they are giving it for free (I had the same thing done too, so it wasn't more complicated.), so being very inconsistent in their customer service. They have lost a customer for life. When DH and I buy a plane we will be using something besides DC in it.)

I've never had a problem with DC customer service. The two people who complained earlier in this thread are literally the first negative comments I've ever heard about their customer service. I used to own a DC H10-20XL ANR headset. This particular model is equipped with gel ear seals, and after about four years, the seals broke. Long story short, DC shipped me a brand new set of ear seals for free, via UPS overnight. And this was based on nothing more than a mere e-mail I sent them the day before. DC never asked me if they were still in warranty or even when I purchased them.

I think having a poor customer service experience with DC is the exception, rather than the rule.

When everyone is else is saying they got it repaired for free and I had no idea how long their warranty period was. Actually their letter was the first I had ever of it expiring. I bought them used and they didn't work when they got here, but figured I would just send them off for repair, no problem. My first pair were not DC, but definitely work better! (And look, here again we see they are giving it for free (I had the same thing done too, so it wasn't more complicated.), so being very inconsistent in their customer service. They have lost a customer for life. When DH and I buy a plane we will be using something besides DC in it.)

Okay so everyone else is saying they got it repaired for free, so you just sent them in without a call or question? You're upset that the repair cost you $83 because you only paid $100 for the headset originally, yet you're stating that you bought the headset used, and you still hate DC because they charged you to fix your used headset? I'm sorry but that makes no sense. I've never heard a bad thing about DC. I flew with DCs a lot before buying my Bose, and they are a quality product, with quality customer service.

If anything you should be happy that you got a good headset that will last years for only $183.

Okay so everyone else is saying they got it repaired for free, so you just sent them in without a call or question? You're upset that the repair cost you $83 because you only paid $100 for the headset originally, yet you're stating that you bought the headset used, and you still hate DC because they charged you to fix your used headset? I'm sorry but that makes no sense. I've never heard a bad thing about DC. I flew with DCs a lot before buying my Bose, and they are a quality product, with quality customer service.

If anything you should be happy that you got a good headset that will last years for only $183.
I didn't pay $100 for them. I paid $100 for the new set that works great that isn't DC. I ended up spending WAY more on the DC because I paid for them (can't remember how much) and then another $100 on top of it to ship and have them fixed, only to have them NOT fixed. I don't find them a quality product at all and giving some people free service and charging others is just bad customer service all around.

Back