David Clark

Yeah, 100 dollar headsets are awesome...
Compared to the "repaired" DC (that cost $100 in JUST repairs) it is. Obviously the DC is crap as it's worse than the $100 headset. ATC can hear me; I can hear them. Mission accomplished with $100 set. ATC can't hear me half the time; I probably can't hear them half the time. Crap DC headset AFTER repair.

Compared to the "repaired" DC (that cost $100 in JUST repairs) it is. Obviously the DC is crap as it's worse than the $100 headset. ATC can hear me; I can hear them. Mission accomplished with $100 set. ATC can't hear me half the time; I probably can't hear them half the time. Crap DC headset AFTER repair.

Do you fly more than 15 minutes at a time? I would go without a headset if I was stuck with one of those 100 dollar jobs.

They aren't all terrible. I owned a pair of sigtronics S-20 headsets that were about $140 each. Not great, but they weren't awful either.

For sure, hey have their uses, but I think calling DCs crap compared to them is kinda out there. I'm no DC fanboy either, I actually don't really care for them, but I'm a big puss.

Do you fly more than 15 minutes at a time? I would go without a headset if I was stuck with one of those 100 dollar jobs.
It would be hard to do a cross country in 15 minutes unless you used a Lear or something. ;) My head is probably smaller than most of the guys though, so maybe being female has something to do with it. I've never felt the headset was uncomfortable (except maybe the heat with the plastic ear rings, but DC has though too.)

For sure, hey have their uses, but I think calling DCs crap compared to them is kinda out there. I'm no DC fanboy either, I actually don't really care for them, but I'm a big puss.
If ATC can't hear you or you can't talk to others in the plane without the sound going in and out AFTER they came back from repair then quite frankly they are CRAP. That's the whole point of having a headset, so you can have conversations with others (especially ATC) and if they don't do that what would you call them besides crap?

If ATC can't hear you or you can't talk to others in the plane without the sound going in and out AFTER they came back from repair then quite frankly they are CRAP. That's the whole point of having a headset, so you can have conversations with others (especially ATC) and if they don't do that what would you call them besides crap?
They aren't crap, they're broke. Send them back an they'll prolly fix them for free or give you a new pair. If my truck had a flat tire I wouldn't go on the Internet bad mouthing Goodyear about how they suck when they're flat.

They aren't crap, they're broke. Send them back an they'll prolly fix them for free or give you a new pair. If my truck had a flat tire I wouldn't go on the Internet bad mouthing Goodyear about how they suck when they're flat.
That's the whole point. I DID send them in for repair and they came back just as broken AND had to pay $83 (plus shipping there) to do it. Why would I spend the money to mail them in again if they couldn't figure out how to fix them right in the first place?

That's the whole point. I DID send them in for repair and they came back just as broken AND had to pay $83 (plus shipping there) to do it. Why would I spend the money to mail them in again if they couldn't figure out how to fix them right in the first place?

Did you actually try telling them they didn't work, or did you go straight to the Internet without actually trying to get the problem resolved?

Did you actually try telling them they didn't work, or did you go straight to the Internet without actually trying to get the problem resolved?
When I sent it in I told them it didn't work. I'm not willing to spend another $12 to send it back right now as I doubt it will come back any different than last time. Good customer service means you get it right without me having to send it back in. I may try calling them on Monday though.

I've got a set od DCs that are almost 19 yrs old and still going strong, not even a hiccup.
Nice!

My DC's are the only headset I've owned, and I've beat the crap out of them for 8 years now. The little foam thing on the mic is starting to wear thin from me smashing them into various flight bags. That's literally the only thing that's even worn... Those things are as solid as a rock.

I love DC.

Awesome customer service and my HD 13.4's that I bought back in 1996 are still awesome.

I sent them in for repair once, I was charged but I don't necessarily expect to take the Beemer into the dealer for an engine problem and have it repaired for free when it's out of warranty.

If I get it for free, awesome. I'm a happy(ier) customer. But if I get charged, I think it's reasonable to expect to pay for work done outside of warranty.

Sent from my TRS-80

To me $83 is crazy! I only paid $100 for my first pair and they work great. Having to pay that much just to get them "repaired" is not acceptable. I really didn't h ave it at that time either, so it made it really hard.

$83 is almost nothing to have a headset repaired.

I am looking at spending $160 before including shipping to have my Telex 850s repaired out of warranty. I will end up paying nearly half the cost of a new pair in the long run, but since I will be getting back what amounts to a new headset... it is more than worth the time and money.

Sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience with DC. Still one of the best headsets on the market and I still wear one when flying something other than a commercial people mover.

Dont get me wrong, I love my DCs... But my current rig is just waaaay too loud for them. I picked up a pair of Zulus from JC and have never looked back.

Does anyone know if the newer DCs have a different material for the outer casing (I think it's called a "dome")? I'm not sure, but it feels like the outer casing of the headset returned to me is more like cheap plastic (feels very light), whereas my other headset had a heavier and stronger outer case.

When I sent it in I told them it didn't work. I'm not willing to spend another $12 to send it back right now as I doubt it will come back any different than last time. Good customer service means you get it right without me having to send it back in. I may try calling them on Monday though.
Can I pay you $12 to ship them to me?

Back