Dallas

mikecweb

So the man has sent me to Dallas.
I'm moving out there next week.
I'd ask a favor to any of the locals for some guidance where to live. I'll be based out of Love.

:bandit:

You want to stay east of the airport. Avoid the immediate North and South of the airport!

So the man has sent me to Dallas.
I'm moving out there next week.
I'd ask a favor to any of the locals for some guidance where to live. I'll be based out of Love.
:bandit:

Awww, isn't that cute? ;)

Seriously, congrats, Mike--although I wish I knew how I could warn the Texas girls about you. :p

for you, finding a roomate is just as easy as calling a phone number on a bathroom stall.

should help your social engagements too!!:bandit:

Not really a congrats thing but I'll be looking to rent hopefully short term before I figure out if I can stand seeing Tony Homo on TV.

There are several apartments complexes along Mockingbird lane and Lemon Ave close to Love and the neighborhood is not too bad, but some of the areas around it are decidedly lower scale though. If you go south or north you'll have to contend with I 35W which is Ugly most times of the day, but with your schedule it might not be to bad. East isn't too bad with some nice areas out towards Rockwall. There are a few decent apartments in the Deep Elum area near downtown Dallas (its the Party area) :nana2: One of my neighbors has a small apartment in that area, don't know if he has anything open, I'll ask though.

I may have a spare bedroom if you need it for a few days, I live on an airpark about 20 south of Love.

Not really a congrats thing but I'll be looking to rent hopefully short term before I figure out if I can stand seeing Tony Homo on TV.

Damn man I had about 5 pages of recommended places typed until I read this post.

Give me a shout when you get down here, though. Wish I could be of more help with places to stay, but regardless I think I can help with places/things to drink?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Stadium

mike...

There are "good" and "bad" areas around Love Field. There are some really cool places right on W. Lovers Lane and that goes all the way east to US75 and beyond. Some good, some bad, you have to look around.

The Cedar Springs-Lemmon area is also hit or miss. There's a lot of crime there, mostly car break ins and stuff like that. But also some cool places. A lot of people call the Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs area the "gayborhood." Whatever. There's some cool places to live - again, can be expensive. You pay for security.

If you go a bit east and north into the Travis Walk area (McKinney Ave, Cole Ave, Knox-Henderson) there are some awesome places to live and drink and eat - it's a very walkable neighborhood, lots of women, but it comes with a price. Kinda spendy but many say it's worth it.

Being based at Love, your easiest highway access is going to be the Dallas North Tollway. Get yourself a tolltag - totally worth it. If you head up the DNT, that'll take you into Addison and points north. There are both houses, condos and apartments all over the area.

Drop me a PM if you want - I've lived in Dallas - all over - for 16 years and just moved from there to Austin six months ago. When you're ready to buy, I've got a great real estate agent I can hook you up with, too.

There's just about something for everyone in Dallas. Just depends on what you want and how far you're willing to drive. :)

Check this place out. http://thevillageapts2.reachlocal.net/index_flash.shtml

I stayed there when I first moved to Dallas. I absolutely loved this place!

There are, literally, thousands of apartments in The Village. It's a heavy SMU-crowd community.

Over the last few years, though, the prices have gone up while the quality of the neighborhood and surrounding areas have declined. It's not a bad place to live - I lived there '93 through '96 or so and liked it. But it's a different neighborhood than it used to be.

Draw a big line from north to south through DFW airport.

Pretty much everything east of the line that doesn't suck will be overpriced.

Better luck west of the line.

I did the apartment scout thing a year ago... avoid Arlington and Grand Prairie, and southern parts of Ft Worth and Dallas both.

Stay out of north Dallas and Plano/Frisco area. Unless you're flying big iron for Suthernjets Innanashunal, you don't wanna play there. The areas NW of Dallas in between DAL and DFW aren't bad.

Will you still be living on the back side of the clock? Commute time in the DFW area is a BIG factor in where you wanna live.

Some places you just don't wanna be during rush hour.

On the LBJ Expressway, Friday night rush hour starts Thursday afternoon.

Thanks for the help guys.
I checked out the village online today and I'm probably going to swing through there toward the end of next week when I get into town.
I want to stay relatively close to Love. I was thinking of checking out the Addison area as well as I've heard good things. I'm moving from Boston so everything seems cheap!

Thanks for the help guys.
I checked out the village online today and I'm probably going to swing through there toward the end of next week when I get into town.
I want to stay relatively close to Love. I was thinking of checking out the Addison area as well as I've heard good things. I'm moving from Boston so everything seems cheap!

Addison is trendy-ville. Uptown Dallas is where all the yuppies live, but Addison ranks a close second. Expect to spend a mint on anything decent. Get a little further from downtown and save a ton.

Keep in mind that you'll drive ALOT more than in the Boston area here, so factor that in to your budget. Dallas has mass-transit with busses and trains, but it's not as widespread as a major city up north.

That being said... welcome to Texas. :)

On the LBJ Expressway, Friday night rush hour starts Thursday afternoon.
:yeahthat::yeahthat: Man, ain't that the truth

Also pay attention to some of the highway off ramps around here. They tend to put them together backwards from the rest of the world, you'll get use to it, but you might head the wrong direction a time or two:D

Addison is trendy-ville. Uptown Dallas is where all the yuppies live, but Addison ranks a close second. Expect to spend a mint on anything decent. Get a little further from downtown and save a ton.

Yes and no. There are affordable places in Addison, as long as they're removed from Addison circle. There are some decent, affordable places near Frankford and Midway, which is north Addison-almost-Carrollton. Using the tollway is key there.

I still say if you want to be close to DAL, look around the uptown area. It's a little more expensive in rent, but it's a walkable area - more like Boston. You can find a lot of independently-owned condos and stuff for rent that often cost below what the "market" rate is set by the AMLI and LPC property management companies. And the scenery is...well...awesome.

The good part is that you cut through Turtle Creek/Highland Park to get to and from DAL. No real traffic to speak of since it's all surface streets, and the pitiful mass-transit system called DART can still get you to and from DAL and that neighborhood in reasonable time if you had to.

Agree on Frisco/Plano. They're practically McMansion bedroom communities on their own. Good golfing up there, though. I lived in Richardson/Garland, which was fine for me, but the drive to DFW was a killer. My girl lived in Uptown, and the drive to DAL was usually less than 15 minutes even during rush hour.

Back