Dallas

The good part is that you cut through Turtle Creek/Highland Park to get to and from DAL. No real traffic to speak of since it's all surface streets, and the pitiful mass-transit system called DART can still get you to and from DAL and that neighborhood in reasonable time if you had to.

Thats why I recomemmend The Village. It's right outside of Highland Park and theres many different ways to Love on side streets. I'd avoid Northwest Highway at all cost. I've spent countless days where it took me 45 minutes to get from the Love Field area to the Village.

It is also only a short drive to get to the upper and lower Greenville area for bars and it's is also only a ten minute drive to uptown or downtown. It takes maybe 15 minutes to get to Belt Line in Addison if that. I really miss that neighborhood.

I lived in the Bluffs (sort of. I aso had an apartment in North Hollywood CA from 2006-2007) from 2005-2007.

Currently live in the Dakota, in the Village - brand new, 1300 sq ft, 2 bed/2 bath, garage - approx $1600, but there are definitely some cheaper (older) options. Will happily show you around if you want. Send me a pm.

Good leads on the stuff near Dallas.

I met an FA recently that put a bug in my brain-

"I'd rather live where I play than where I work," she said.

Completely shifted my paradigm of thinking. I used to think about minimizing drive time to work. I effectively drive to and from work ONCE A WEEK.

Living where I wanna play makes alot more sense.

I may move next summer. If I do, it'll be closer to Dallas.

Currently live in the Dakota, in the Village - brand new, 1300 sq ft, 2 bed/2 bath, garage - approx $1600, but there are definitely some cheaper (older) options. Will happily show you around if you want. Send me a pm.

Have you eaten at Cowboy Chicken off of Greenville?. If not, go there and get a chicken platter with sides of your choice. Make sure you also get a family size peach cobbler. Come back and report to me how good it is.

Dont skip out on the peach cobbler.:D

Oooh and the Piggy Pies pizza place. Yum Yum.:drool:

I'd avoid Northwest Highway at all cost. I've spent countless days where it took me 45 minutes to get from the Love Field area to the Village.

Are you sure you were stuck in traffic or did you maybe get sidetracked? :D :p

(Of course that section, probably isn't "that" section)

Are you sure you were stuck in traffic or did you maybe get sidetracked? :D :p

(Of course that section, probably isn't "that" section)

Oh no, I stay out of "that" section. You may walk down there and come out limpin'.:D East of Love, through Higland Park, and by the mall are ridiculously busy during the holiday season.

I think we've all done a disservice when recommending areas.

You really want to ensure where you live that beer/wine & liquor are easily accessible and that you don't have to have a freakin' UNICARD to drink at a bar.

That said, Addison is a great choice! Collin County & Plano are a real pain in the ass when it comes to liquor consumption. For crying out loud, the CVS nearest me doesn't sell beer due to where it's located, I have to go to a different one a little farther away in the opposite direction. Also, to get liquor, I have to drive to The Colony. Should I decide I want to drink at a bar after midnight,,, NOPE, not around here, gotta go to Addison or Carrolton, but in Carrolton gotta have my UNICARD if I wanna go play pool at the F&H.

aye aye aye... :banghead:

Have you eaten at Cowboy Chicken off of Greenville?. If not, go there and get a chicken platter with sides of your choice. Make sure you also get a family size peach cobbler. Come back and report to me how good it is.

Dont skip out on the peach cobbler.:D

Oooh and the Piggy Pies pizza place. Yum Yum.:drool:

Not yet tried Cowboy Chicken, but after that recommendation I just may have to. Piggie Pies is supremely better than Dominos/Pizza Hut for delivery, but I prefer thin crust Italian pizza.

Currently have a big thing for Pluckers wings.

I checked with my neighbor, they have a Duplex (2brm 1 bath) for 1125.00 Its near Love, a couple blocks off lemon ave near Highland Park.

PM me if you'd like to look at it.

Bill

You can live anywhere, but to eat.....

Burgers - Jack's Burger House (Mockingbird or Lovers Lane location)
Pizza - Campisi's (Mockingbird only) or Louie's (Henderson Ave)

I lived in Dallas 28 years, and have to stop by Jack's whenever I'm visiting for my grease fix (the grease is different here in Atlanta).

As far as living, if you're young and single, I would probably find an apartment off Greenville Ave just south of Mockingbird. Neat area, vibrant night life. Uptown and Addison always struck me as too much of the cocaine and boob job crowd (aka the beautiful people). If your on a pilot salary, you're gonna have a hard time keeping up with them!

Re: Power Options

1,000 different choices..
Any suggestions?

I use Direct Energy and am locked in at 12.5 cents / Kwh. That's the cheapest I could find at the time and that price is locked for a year. Now, Direct Energy has been having some problems lately with billing, bills not going out on time not able to view account info online but it has not affected the accuracy of the actual bill once I get it.

Now, when I was living in NW Frisco we didn't have a choice (rural utility network), we used CoServ which was fine by me because their rates were quite cheap.

Re: Power Options

1,000 different choices..
Any suggestions?

Throw a dart, its kind of like picking stocks. The independent Power companies around here are going out of business pretty fast. TXU is one of the more expensive (they own the transmission lines) but at least they'll be here next week (maybe:D)

I'm in a Co-op down south 12.6 Per KWH

If you don't mind living a bit North of Love Field I was going to suggest either Austin Ranch or AMLI @ The Shops of Legacy.

They're both new and pretty cool, they have shopping / dining / services located on site, more soe at The Shops of Legacy.

HOWEVER, they're probably more North than you want although if you're working shifts and not working an 8-5 the drive isn't bad at all... they are both located just South of 121 near Dallas North Tollway.

If you don't mind living a bit North of Love Field I was going to suggest either Austin Ranch or AMLI @ The Shops of Legacy.

They're both new and pretty cool, they have shopping / dining / services located on site, more soe at The Shops of Legacy.

HOWEVER, they're probably more North than you want although if you're working shifts and not working an 8-5 the drive isn't bad at all... they are both located just South of 121 near Dallas North Tollway.

No offense, Boomer, but that area is the definition of Suburban Hell in my book - and I lived right on the Richardson/Garland border. The problem with living in these micro-cities like Frisco is that you're trapped there.

Whomever said it about living where they play instead of where they work nailed it, I think. Mike - what do you like to do when you're not working? That would help us help you.

Dallas is a zero sum game - if you live inside 635, you get a decent commute but your #### gets stolen while you're away. Outside of 635 and your stuff will probably be alright, but it'll take you forever to get to work. Choose wisely :)

Sorry for drifting away from this thread. Thanks for all the tips and advice. I looked at a few places in Addison and wasn't really impressed for the money. I found a really nice place in Plano that had really flexible lease terms and will be a good fit. Thanks again for everyones help.

Back