Dallas Executive Mid-Air / B-17 - P-63

Just off the cuff I don't think either crew knew the other was there at all. Which of course raises the question of how the hell that could possibly happen.

it looks like the P-63 is chasing the other fighter planes, what with the speed and flight path. And for whatever reason, lost sufficient SA on the B-17, or tunnel vision on the tail chase and never knew it was there.

it looks like the P-63 is chasing the other fighter planes, what with the speed and flight path. And for whatever reason, lost sufficient SA on the B-17, or tunnel vision on the tail chase and never knew it was there.

That seems reasonable. I still don't understand how, after god knows how many airshow accidents, and what I understand to be pretty serious strictures on aircraft which aren't in formation getting anywhere near each other, it was even possible for this situation to eventuate, but I'll stuff a sock in it and wait for the more informed to chime in. It's a damned shame, in any case.

Those videos are heartbreaking to watch, looks like neither of the crews saw what was about to happen or had the time to process the accident.

As much as I love to see history flying, it seems that it might be time for a revamp of the training required to fly these warbirds.

Fatal 6

1668296670919.png

Last edited:
I did not realize that the CAF had moved from Midland to Dallas:

“In 2013, the Commemorative Air Force announced that they would build a "National Airbase" at Executive which would include their headquarters and main museum, both of which would be moved from Midland. As of 2016, the Commemorative Air Force established their headquarters at the airport and currently occupies a hangar on the southeast side of the airfield. The Dallas Police Department operates their helicopter(s) from Dallas Executive Airport.”

Seems like lots of aviation Twitter is posting the video for likes/effect, not a good look.

RIP to all and condolences to the families, rough day for sure.

I’ll have to check but this year I randomly got a wall calendar in the mail. It was these folks, Commemorative Air Force. It had a lot of good pictures of various warbirds. It seems like a great organization. My condolences to all those involved in this accident.

Back