daily pic

IMG_20210405_012142_424.jpg

Gotta say, the hours may make zero sense but these views are spectacular lately.

20210404_172255.jpg

IMG_20210404_214714_631.jpg

20210404_172928.jpg

20210404_213001.jpg

20210404_182654.jpg

Just a few from a bit of Sunday's continued airport touring as the day went on. JetBlue has had 605 in a battleship grey style Red Sox color for quite some time; the plane looked good, but was certainly starting to look tired. This new version of the livery came outta the Jacksonville paint shop not too long ago, but New England weather until now has been fickle as a bad Foghorn Leghorn metaphor. The Pilatus was tucked up on the Terminal B side near where United and Southwest park, and looked extra sharp in that light. As for the FedEx birds, both are uncommon visitors to this part of the world, and both are as old as -- if not older than -- me. And both have some really, really cool histories.

Guess it wasn't you I got to see in what may have been the most spectacularly awful pushback. Ever.

View attachment 58719
IMG-5803.jpg

Started on B21...

IMG-5809.jpg

Ended in the aircraft envelope for B20. No other traffic. Tried to dump it there. There was much laughter. Only the best ground handlers will do. How they gonna do Lance the Ocelot like that?

Note the only wing walker is at the nose of the tug, the other was riding inside the tug. No one to stop them at B20, as Frontier had 1 ground crew. Also note the fuel truck in the envelope. Just SFO things.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that if you follow the bridges with your eyes, you can see that all 3 gates (including Bravo 19 to the left) were attached to one long bridge which was attached to the terminal for maybe 2 years during a construction phase of the new T1. When I flew out to LAS on F9, they didn't have any guidance down there at all, super confusing. I'm sure people got on the wrong aircraft all the time unless the crew actively stopped them.

Last edited:
Certainly don't....not every day

Luuv me a lil C26

Where was this?

Baaaahston, MA.

@ChasenSFO That's a fantastically terrible job -- but hey, with one wingwalker probably staring off into space and the other scrolling on their phone in the pushback, I'd say good job to that driver for getting the safety zone near perfectly mirrored. Except, you know, trying to drop there and leaving.

As for the fuel guy, unless that company's got its own styling, an Airbus of any size requires the need for liftgate trucks nowadays. Because fuelers get scared of ladders or something. I still remember using a stepladder and a chair for a 757 back in 2014...

Funny story about the Sutro TV tower...

On my 320 sim ride (we were the last crew to go through N & O before they went to AQP), I did a single engine missed approach off of 28R. The procedure has you fly through the gap in the hills and out over the water and hold. Our checkride profile had us getting tight vectors around for a single engine visual pattern to land, to finish the ride. So the APD (who was also the fleet captain) gave me a right turn off the missed approach to bring me back around for the visual, while still in IMC. I lived in the Bay Area for a few years, and know the geography pretty well and was thinking that where he was sending me, there was a big ass (which you can totally say) tower. My seat support had terrain up on his ND and sure enough there was a red square right on the heading I was supposed to be turning to. I asked the APD if I could get a better heading and he said no, so figuring it was part of the checkride, I told me seat support to refuse the turn until we got over the Sunset and out of the hills. The APD starting yelling at us to just take the damn turn an there was nothing there and then cleared all the weather in the sim... and then got very quiet as we watched an exceedingly nicely rendered Sutro Tower go gliding by our right wing about a mile away. The upshot was I got to do a low level tour of downtown SF in clear weather on the way back to the airport for the visual.

Funny story about the Sutro TV tower...

On my 320 sim ride (we were the last crew to go through N & O before they went to AQP), I did a single engine missed approach off of 28R. The procedure has you fly through the gap in the hills and out over the water and hold. Our checkride profile had us getting tight vectors around for a single engine visual pattern to land, to finish the ride. So the APD (who was also the fleet captain) gave me a right turn off the missed approach to bring me back around for the visual, while still in IMC. I lived in the Bay Area for a few years, and know the geography pretty well and was thinking that where he was sending me, there was a big ass (which you can totally say) tower. My seat support had terrain up on his ND and sure enough there was a red square right on the heading I was supposed to be turning to. I asked the APD if I could get a better heading and he said no, so figuring it was part of the checkride, I told me seat support to refuse the turn until we got over the Sunset and out of the hills. The APD starting yelling at us to just take the damn turn an there was nothing there and then cleared all the weather in the sim... and then got very quiet as we watched an exceedingly nicely rendered Sutro Tower go gliding by our right wing about a mile away. The upshot was I got to do a low level tour of downtown SF in clear weather on the way back to the airport for the visual.
LOL! I too have a Sutro story, for beers and\or Vegas.

Recently a new membership only airline started up called Set Jet on the West Coast, operated by Elite Airways. They have a few planes, but looks like HWD keeps getting the same bird over and over, though sometimes it comes from SAN and sometimes from LAS with plans for big expansion. Caught them arriving 2 weeks ago at golden hour. Very cool as this is the first scheduled passenger service to HWD ever that I know of, and first scheduled service period since Ameriflight left years ago.

Interior is all VIP configured. Looks like they've now opened up one-way fares. More here: Set Jet - Private Jet Membership - Private Jet Charter

N530JW1.jpg

N530JW.jpg

Recently a new membership only airline started up called Set Jet on the West Coast, operated by Elite Airways. They have a few planes, but looks like HWD keeps getting the same bird over and over, though sometimes it comes from SAN and sometimes from LAS with plans for big expansion. Caught them arriving 2 weeks ago at golden hour. Very cool as this is the first scheduled passenger service to HWD ever that I know of, and first scheduled service period since Ameriflight left years ago.

Interior is all VIP configured. Looks like they've now opened up one-way fares. More here: Set Jet - Private Jet Membership - Private Jet Charter

N530JW1.jpg

N530JW.jpg

I always feel bad seeing people with the CRJ-200 being used as a biz jet. I bet they miss a LOT of meetings.

Chasen SFO, I can't find any information on an arrangement between Elite Airways and Set Jet. I think you have been confused by Set Jet's premium service which they call 'Elite.' The aircraft you show is not owned by Elite Airways but by a bank in Salt Lake City, and does show flights to/from Set Jet's route layout.

All but one of Elite's A/C have registration numbers ending in EA, the lone exception ends in MW (probably dating from their announced partnership with the rebirth of Midway. Hasn't happened yet). One of their CRJ200s is configured for 16 PAX in an executive layout, and used for charters (sports teams, rock bands, etc).

Elite is a combination charter (ACMI) and scheduled airline, operating from Maine to Florida. They currently show 6 aircraft active: CRJ 100, 200, 700, 900.

Since SetJet says they don't own or operate any aircraft but lease them, It's possible that they might occasionally lease an Elite A/C but I suspect it would be a maintenance replacement, not the regular fleet. Deadheading between the coast is a lot of non-rev flying!

But pretty pix!

IMG_20210420_093526_339.jpg

20210418_172519.jpg

A couple days ago, a Herc dropped in for a visit from Long Island. The plane looks like it's out of Abilene, but I'd guess these were just a couple folks in town for food or a ball game. The VP paid NH a visit recently, but most of that support fleet went to Manchester or Pease. 16-5880 if anyone here's interested. I don't know much military, but I'm sure there's a few readers who do.

Back