daily pic

IMG_5501.jpg

On final at JFK. God sure can paint!!

When you skip the walk around and completely F up… and you might have gotten away with it, but the PAO puts you on blast to the entire internet…

a0696b24867b99a931520fba4d914ab7.jpg

I don’t know who those guys are, but they are not having a good day anymore…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you skip the walk around and completely F up… and you might have gotten away with it, but the PAO puts you on blast to the entire internet…

a0696b24867b99a931520fba4d914ab7.jpg

I don’t know who those guys are, but they are not having a good day anymore…

For those of us who don't fly helicopters, what did they miss on the preflight?

For those of us who don't fly helicopters, what did they miss on the preflight?

Big ass panel on the back spine of the aircraft flapping in the wind….

The picture is compressed and I can’t find a high enough quality version, but if you zoom in you can see the steps to the catwalk open behind the engine nacelle.

Big ass panel on the back spine of the aircraft flapping in the wind….

The picture is compressed and I can’t find a high enough quality version, but if you zoom in you can see the steps to the catwalk open behind the engine nacelle.

Which naturally leads to the question "Were they done working on it, and who signed it off?".

Which naturally leads to the question "Were they done working on it, and who signed it off?".

Oh no, this is entirely landing on the pilot in command of said aircraft.

That turtleback and catwalk access gets closed as a named part of the preflight and is one of the few eye level latches to check on the walk around.

It’ll blow open in a strong wind if not latched, so it’s not something you skip. Especially since if it came off in flight it’s going straight into your tail rotor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh no, this is entirely landing on the pilot in command of said aircraft.

That turtleback and catwalk access gets closed as a named part of the preflight and is one of the few eye level latches to check on the walk around.

It’ll blow open in a strong wind if not latched, so it’s not something you skip. Especially since if it came off in flight it’s going straight into your tail rotor.

I like the idea that the pilots have to crawl all over their aircraft to check stuff. It's unfortunate this one didn't. Just a crazy question, do all of the pilots crawl up on top of the aircraft before every flight? Just playing devils advocate.

I like the idea that the pilots have to crawl all over their aircraft to check stuff. It's unfortunate this one didn't. Just a crazy question, do all of the pilots crawl up on top of the aircraft before every flight? Just playing devils advocate.

So the crew chief does the PMD (preventative maintenance daily) prior to the aircraft being issued as ready. PMD can last for days until an aircraft is actually launched and recovered.

The crew then performs preflight for the first time the aircraft is issued. One of the ways you as a crew member know some lazy crew chief pencil wiped the PMD, is when you look back in the catwalk the pins are still in from the last time it flew. So your at the very least open the door they left open every time you fly the aircraft. Most of us climb up in the catwalk regardless of if it’s a pre or thru flight.

So the crew chief does the PMD (preventative maintenance daily) prior to the aircraft being issued as ready. PMD can last for days until an aircraft is actually launched and recovered.

The crew then performs preflight for the first time the aircraft is issued. One of the ways you as a crew member know some lazy crew chief pencil wiped the PMD, is when you look back in the catwalk the pins are still in from the last time it flew. So your at the very least open the door they left open every time you fly the aircraft. Most of us climb up in the catwalk regardless of if it’s a pre or thru flight.

That's a big jump from the half ass walk arounds I'm accustomed to from a crew. Some are more thorough than others, maybe they're former army helicopter pilots?

That's a big jump from the half ass walk arounds I'm accustomed to from a crew. Some are more thorough than others, maybe they're former army helicopter pilots?

I’ve only been in one community of Army Aviation where I could actively have trusted my crew chiefs to make a vested effort in doing the right thing. Probably had to do with the fact those guys rode on the aircraft with me and were in an organization that does not tolerate half asses.

In the Apache community you should treat every maintainer as suspect until they prove otherwise and even then it’s individual to individual. The trust list is very short, because I’ve seen way to much laziness and ineptitude or lack of supervision to grant the benefit of the doubt.

I’ve only been in one community of Army Aviation where I could actively have trusted my crew chiefs to make a vested effort in doing the right thing. Probably had to do with the fact those guys rode on the aircraft with me and were in an organization that does not tolerate half asses.

In the Apache community you should treat every maintainer as suspect until they prove otherwise and even then it’s individual to individual. The trust list is very short, because I’ve seen way to much laziness and ineptitude or lack of supervision to grant the benefit of the doubt.

That makes me sad.

In the Apache community you should treat every maintainer as suspect until they prove otherwise and even then it’s individual to individual. The trust list is very short, because I’ve seen way to much laziness and ineptitude or lack of supervision to grant the benefit of the doubt.…..

That makes me sad.
That makes me jealous……

You know, my dad was mentioning the other day that a snowblower from Lowe's would have run him about $1400 not including the maintenance and fuel; it didn't really seem logical for cost/usage, so he opted not to get one.

'Course, these particular things aren't for your average driveways, nor do I think Lowe's has this brand, but still. Watching these guys work is awesome.

20220130_075803.jpg

Back