Current 121 pilot- considering military?

Fly2kCovid

With the threat of being furloughed in the near future, I've been considering enlisting as a officer into the military. Question I have is does having military experience of a non flying position help in any way with getting on to a legacy? *Note because of age I most likely would not be able to pursue a flying position. * Thanks!

I suppose it shows resilience and leadership ability at an interview, and could make you stand out, but it's not like being able to check the literal fighter pilot box on pilotcredentials. If you go active duty it is a minimum of 48 months of commitment. A 4 year gap in professional flying is going to virtually guarantee you not get hired at a legacy any time soon.

As a prior non aviation military officer (Navy) - i can say it does not help at all in getting on with a legacy.

your civilian aviation credentials are what gets you an interview If you’re not a military aviator... So What youre doing already as a 121 pilot....

depending on your age and career field you’re looking at getting in, you might not be able to do neither a regular officer commission nor a reserve officer commission due to retirement at age 65 and due to meeting career milestones Defined by the community you’re looking at getting into even though you don’t plan on making it a career as an regular or reserve officer in the military.

when I was looking into accepting a reserve commission 15 years ago after I resigned my regular commission, I was told a general rule of thumb was active duty time already accrued plus time left until retirement eligibility had to equal less than 60or something like that... (for me that was 51 years old as the latest I could go back and accept a reserve commission)

the only career where I saw “old” ensigns (O-1s) were in the Chaplain Corps, So in theory, you could go get ordained somewhere and then try getting in as a military chaplain.... but not as a Roman Catholic, the romans don’t give up their priests to the military very easily...

Agree with others. You are a 121 dude now. Keep doing your thing......you are closer to the job than a lot of junior mil aviators right now, once the hiring starts again. 40000% closer than all of the non-aviator mil officers are. Don't quit your life out of fear for the next few months/years. Personally, I am glad to be ready and qualified to apply again the instant hiring starts. Accepting an active duty commission at the very least, obligates you to 4 years of active service. 4 years from now could be almost half way to the next downturn/recession/furlough event depending on how optimistic you are about this event and how pessimistic you are about the long term. Would you rather be the first guy who got in the door when the music started again, or get there several years later owing to your military obligation (and suffering seniority)? Just some thoughts. I'm happy I went mil, but an officer commission isn't really the best later in life career change stop gap.

The RCAF is desperate for pilots and maintenance crew. Of course you have to have citizenship. They do not advertise an age limit and encourage any Canadian interested to apply. I looked into this and their officer basic training doesn’t seem as bad on old farts as it probably would be for OCS in the States. I used to deal with a Canadian artillery division and half of them were quite chubby. The height and weight thing doesn’t seem to apply. Desperate times require desperate measures.

As a former military helicopter pilot, my experience has more weight than a non-aviation military officer and a fraction of the attractiveness as a military jet pilot. If you want to serve and diversify your experience (and have a fallback), look into the Guard or Reserve so you’re not out of the cockpit for 48 months or longer.

terrible advice. At least the period full stop part. There’s a multitude of reasons besides just wanting to serve for joining the military.

Just my observation that most of the people who are overtly miserable and hate life in the service are the ones who joined for reasons other than serving. There are many secondary reasons to serve, but at the minimum you should join because of a drive to serve. The suck becomes much easier to embrace.

Reactions: JEP
I posted it elsewhere, but watching your homeboys grab their gear and get a ride out to the flight line while you’re stuck behind a radio/computer... sucks.
Mil pilots are prima-donnas. We have duty limitations, we generally eat hot meals and take warm showers. I have been in the most austere place on the planet as a pilot, and we had comforts the ground pounders didn’t.

If you want to serve, I’d highly recommend looking at the Guard/Reserves. The interim will have you away for at least 6-9 months while you go to OCS then basic officer schools, then MOS school. Perhaps that timeline will help give you perspective on riding out a furlough.
I’d honestly look at the coasties. I looked at swapping over as an “admin” officer, but in the end I have an addiction to flying.

I posted it elsewhere, but watching your homeboys grab their gear and get a ride out to the flight line while you’re stuck behind a radio/computer... sucks.
Mil pilots are prima-donnas. We have duty limitations, we generally eat hot meals and take warm showers. I have been in the most austere place on the planet as a pilot, and we had comforts the ground pounders didn’t.

If you want to serve, I’d highly recommend looking at the Guard/Reserves. The interim will have you away for at least 6-9 months while you go to OCS then basic officer schools, then MOS school. Perhaps that timeline will help give you perspective on riding out a furlough.
I’d honestly look at the coasties. I looked at swapping over as an “admin” officer, but in the end I have an addiction to flying.

Could you swap over and fly Helicopters for the coast guard as an exchange pilot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you swap over and fly Helicopters for the coast guard as an exchange pilot
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. I’m a WO and would need to go through UPT again, only to go to Dauphin or JayHawk AQP. Plus I’m 99% sure their pilots are active duty.

Nope. I’m a WO and would need to go through UPT again, only to go to Dauphin or JayHawk AQP. Plus I’m 99% sure their pilots are active duty.

They are, unless they have a flying/drilling reserve component that I'm unaware of. The other bummer for regular line officers from other services is that you get bumped back a pay grade when you switch over to the CG....though I guess that could be seen as a benefit, i.e. "I just want to fly" in which case being a LTJG or LT again wouldn't be bad.

Back