Cross bleed starts

1. Can't battery start most transport-category jet aircraft
2. Oftentimes we will APU start an engine, shut the APU down and single-engine taxi.
3. Cross-bleed start the critical engine, and depart.

Or, on the CRJ at least, when the APU takes a dump you get to do a cross-bleed start and a TWO engine taxi!

That's a gas waster!!

2. Oftentimes we will APU start an engine, shut the APU down and single-engine taxi.
I seem to remember the 727 has a procedure for battery start, as long as at least the #3 engine bleed is open. (Otherwise I seem to remember you are hosed: the bleeds are either main or essential AC powered.)

We'll start one on Fifi and still keep the APU running on single engine taxi even though one engine is more than enough to supply air to the packs and cross bleed start the second engine. Someone brought this up to mngt and they were told this is the way Airbus wants it. Genius I tell you.

On the E145, with 1 engine going at idle, it's not enough bleed air for the packs to keep the cabin cool on a hot day. We start 1 and taxi out on the APU for the packs to keep the cabin cool. When we want to start #2, we crank it off the APU, packs off the engines, and shut down the APU. When we start #2, we're usually 1-3 in line for takeoff.

I seem to remember the 727 has a procedure for battery start, as long as at least the #3 engine bleed is open. (Otherwise I seem to remember you are hosed: the bleeds are either main or essential AC powered.)

Afaik we only had a procedure for air starting when the APU was OTS.

Sent from my TRS-80

Hmm... I assume this is airline-airline?

WestJet, who I ramped for 8 years, amongst other operators, JetsGo, CanJet, United... always started 2 on the push.

Of course this is before the recession hit.

We normally prioritize APU starts, unless there is a reason to crossbleed. You have to run the operating motor up to ~ 80% power to do it (my aircraft specifically), and this isn't always a good or helpful thing to do with other aircraft around/behind you. That and you already have the APU running to start the first motor generally, so it's no easier unless you have been troubleshooting or something that required you to shut down a previously running motor and now you want a quick re-start.

We're the jerks tying up the alleyway for a half hour. Start both, tug drives off, see the pin, flaps 5, check flight controls, do the checklist... Meanwhile, ramp is having an aneurism. :)

We're the jerks tying up the alleyway for a half hour. Start both, tug drives off, see the pin, flaps 5, check flight controls, do the checklist... Meanwhile, ramp is having an aneurism. :)
Our CRJs do the taxi check while holding still, granted, I think it's flaps eight, flight controls or something like that. Southwest does it holding still too.

The Bro has a pre-taxi and a taxi check — the former would be more accurately called "after start" I suppose, but I am not the fleet manager nor do I play one on TV.

Not THAT bad in JFK.

In ATL, however, would be maddening.

Back