CRJ-900 pilots...what takes so long?

Lol, I know all of these things, however does one airplane have to hold up every other airplane in line? they don't have to. you could just wait to call up until they are holding short, then taxi really fast to go sit in line. I mean really? Really How much heat? Enough to mention it in the books. What is reasonable? Apparently procedures that you don't complain about. If the plane doesn't get in the dirt, it's reasonable. It's like complaining that the dude doing the speed limit, or even 5 under is the reason you need to drive fast

I mean the whale is a hell of a lot bigger than the NAC jet (that's Yukon on the radio if you're unfamiliar I am familiar.) but I've seen them taxi around at a reasonable speed , as well as evergreen in the 747s. Cathay moves at a brisk pace sometimes (I think it depends on the captain). If you're going to blow tires out yeah, don't taxi that fast, but seriously, having seen Kalitta tear ass around the ramp so fast Connie had her skirt blown up You realize Connie would whoop your ass for saying that?, I don't know what to think.

To be honest, Polar isn't even that slow on the ramp. Its KAL!

Is there a trophy for taxiing?

Why do you get your panties in a wad how someone else operates their airplane, if they do it safely?

It doesn't affect you. If NAC can fly their ex-Delta 737-200s they way they do safely, good for them.

Each airplane is different. I operated the E145s and E170s different than I operated the 747-200, and all of those were operated different than the 747-400.

It's no big deal.

I used to wonder why some airlines or airplanes taxi slow and then I've realized that it really doesn't matter. Nothing I say, think, or do will speed them up. I also realize that they are probably doing it for a valid reason. I've caught myself taxing too fast before and it's just something I've matured with as I progress in my career. Taxing fast to hold short is pretty pointless.

Only sort of related, but I love how when you taxi over any kind of bump at anything more than a strolling speed in the Cherokee, the nose wheel oscillates side to side like it's going to fall off the airplane.

Lol, I know, Haines is the worst, have you taxied down to depart 26? It's nearly impossible to do so without thinking the mains and the nose wheel are going to fall the hell off, I back taxi there exclusively. I've tried to go over the big bump there at varying speeds because some of the airplanes like to go over it fast and in some airplanes it is worse if you drive over it slowly.

Is there a trophy for taxiing?

Why do you get your panties in a wad how someone else operates their airplane, if they do it safely?

It doesn't affect you. If NAC can fly their ex-Delta 737-200s they way they do safely, good for them.

Each airplane is different. I operated the E145s and E170s different than I operated the 747-200, and all of those were operated different than the 747-400.

It's no big deal.

It does affect me. I have to wait for them. It affects my passengers who are sitting in this airplane for god knows how long sweating in the hot sun, or freezing in the bitter cold cuz' the heater hasn't heated anything, and when I was in ANC flying freight it affected me too. We're sitting there in heavy snow for the time it takes brand x to taxi out accumulating snow on the wings. We could get all the way out to the runway and have to turn around and come back for another deice. And at ACE, we got paid from when the airplane hit 40kts to when the airplane hit 40kts, not for taxi time, so it sucked to sit there for a half hour. Sure they may be operating safely but they could probably bump the power levers a little bit and still be just as safe and be a little more considerate of others.

Why do I think they taxi slow? They're paid from brake release, so they have no motivation to move. In fact, it behooves them to taxi slower.

Lol, I know, Haines is the worst, have you taxied down to depart 26? It's nearly impossible to do so without thinking the mains and the nose wheel are going to fall the hell off, I back taxi there exclusively. I've tried to go over the big bump there at varying speeds because some of the airplanes like to go over it fast and in some airplanes it is worse if you drive over it slowly.
Nah. I only ever get the "Air Wrecks Zero Sponge Bob main ramp, taxi to the hangar" runs.

I used to wonder why some airlines or airplanes taxi slow and then I've realized that it really doesn't matter. Nothing I say, think, or do will speed them up. I also realize that they are probably doing it for a valid reason. I've caught myself taxing too fast before and it's just something I've matured with as I progress in my career. Taxing fast to hold short is pretty pointless.

Very true, but that's just SA in general. I'm not gonna haul ass if it's in fact detrimental to do so, and in a piston or a t-prop you can ride along at a decent speed and if you're in front of the airplane you don't even need the brakes.

What I've noticed? In bound aircraft taxi fast, outbound taxi slow.

Nah. I only ever get the "Air Wrecks Zero Sponge Bob main ramp, taxi to the hangar" runs.

What's scary there in haines is that it's rough if you taxi slow. I mean, barely moving. The taxiway is worse than most gravel strips I've been to that were rough.

Very true, but that's just SA in general. I'm not gonna haul ass if it's in fact detrimental to do so, and in a piston or a t-prop you can ride along at a decent speed and if you're in front of the airplane you don't even need the brakes.

What I've noticed? In bound aircraft taxi fast, outbound taxi slow.

I've noticed in bound airplanes have very few checklists to run, outbound aircraft have many checklists to run.

Seriously though, the heartburn that it causes you will do you no good. IT's not going to make them taxi faster. Unless you're in those cockpits you have no clue as to why they are taxing slower than what you approve. You have it in your mind they are doing it for the paycheck. If that was the case why wouldn't they taxi in just as slow.

I've noticed in bound airplanes have very few checklists to run, outbound aircraft have many checklists to run.

Seriously though, the heartburn that it causes you will do you no good. IT's not going to make them taxi faster. Unless you're in those cockpits you have no clue as to why they are taxing slower than what you approve. You have it in your mind they are doing it for the paycheck. If that was the case why wouldn't they taxi in just as slow.

Touche! Good point.

You guys make me laugh.

Look, it's not like we've balled any up or taken any four wheeling so if it takes us Mesaba guys a little longer to get going just deal with it.:) Take a deep breath and relax.

And at ACE, we got paid from when the airplane hit 40kts to when the airplane hit 40kts, not for taxi time, so it sucked to sit there for a half hour.

The fact that you're not getting paid for the time you're working is not another crew's fault.

Why do I think they taxi slow? They're paid from brake release, so they have no motivation to move. In fact, it behooves them to taxi slower.

Or maybe because their checklists and procedures necessitate them taking their time? You'd probably complain about American's average taxi speed too, but they go slow because they're really busy. Good for them.

There's a big push right now--both from the FAA and my company--to emphasize simplifying taxi procedures and taking our time to reduce the chances of runway incursions. If someone wants to taxi slow, deal with it. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal.

Don't taxi a mad dog very fast as you'll have a wonderful surprise when you're expected to make a semi-suddent stop.

I'm not all that impressed with anyone, SWA included, who can't taxi at a nominal pace.

It may be a trite saying, but if you hurry around like it's god damn nascar you're probably gonna find yourself in a wreck.

Could be any number on things on the taxi. Checklists, verifying final load data, mx issues that pop up at the last second, FAs still giving their safety briefings. I know I've had to adjust my taxi speed to accomodate all that and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

Couple of near misses or missed turn offs has you seeing your career in the rearview mirror pretty quickly. Ain't worth it, I wanna be around till 60....gotta long career ahead and I ain't going to ruin it by taxiing too fast.

I won't move the airplane until all checklists are done and we've both cleared the area and both heads are outside for taxi.

Anyone fly the CRJ-900 around here?

I ask because I have the distinct pleasure of waiting around for Mesaba to start taxiing out of the alleyway every morning. I don't mind a 1-2 minute wait after disconnecting the tug, but guys, I've timed it...we're talking 5-6 minutes after tug disconnect to the call for taxi almost every day. What are you guys doing exactly?

Over the wintertime I figured it had something to do with engine temperatures. But, it was 70F this morning in BWI; Southwest and AirTran were pushing and taxiing faster than you guys.

Help a brotha out. No A/C in my bird, and it gets annoying holding my crew hatch open to keep us all cool. :)

Yea that is not normal. Normally you have engine(s) start during push by the time they disconnect the engines will have started then you do a short flow, do the checklist and off you go. It shouldn't take 6 minutes every time but it depends on company procedures. I timed a SW push once and you're right the whole thing took only about 2 minutes.

Could they be doing some sort of anti-ice check? I rode on a Skywest crj recently and it looks like they did some sort of run-up to check the ice system right after engine start at the gate.

Could they be doing some sort of anti-ice check? I rode on a Skywest crj recently and it looks like they did some sort of run-up to check the ice system right after engine start at the gate.

Mesaba, for one, after de ice must run the engines at 60% for 20 seconds and then two minutes later cycle the bleeds back to on. That's the only runup I can think of. If no de ice then there is no check.

I've been told some carriers have permission to not do the check because it doesn't really do anything and our FSDO is slowly getting onboard with the idea. That is all second hand knowledge. I just hit the timer and read the checklist.

If you're going to blow tires out yeah, don't taxi that fast, but seriously, having seen Kalitta tear ass around the ramp so fast Connie had her skirt blown up, I don't know what to think.

You know Connie's a dude, right?

Don't taxi a mad dog very fast as you'll have a wonderful surprise when you're expected to make a semi-suddent stop.

"Clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-(shudder)-groan"

Yea that is not normal. Normally you have engine(s) start during push by the time they disconnect the engines will have started then you do a short flow, do the checklist and off you go. It shouldn't take 6 minutes every time but it depends on company procedures. I timed a SW push once and you're right the whole thing took only about 2 minutes.

I jumpseat on AA all the time (King of the Slow Taxi). Their procedures on the S80 are that they can't start until after they set the brakes after pushback. That adds a minute or 2 depending on if they're cranking both or not. For our airplane, we can't start the #1 engine until the tug has been disconnected. The newer Captains (myself included) will start #2 on the pushback and, if we're going out single engine, will be ready to go fairly quickly. Our more senior guys insist that you can only single-engine taxi with Engine 1 and that will take a bit longer.

I've noticed United takes forever to get going. Were behind them all the time in LGA and it takes them about 5 minutes after pushback to start taxing.

Back