crew room

Sisson2011

Being as I'm not an airline pilot (yet). I was wondering how nice the crew rooms in airports are? Are they actually nice to hang out in, or are they just chairs and computers. Also, does every airport have one or just the hubs?

They're nicer than the cockpits. So yes, on a 3 hour sit at our domicle - I'd much rather leave the plane, go into the crew lounge and sit down.

But are they the Crown Rooms or other airline respective "member" lounges? No, not even close.

We get free coffee (not the best, but it is free), and free popcorn, just someone has to actually make the popcorn in the little movie theatre'esque popcorn maker - which I haven't figured out yet and most likely never will.

When have a lack of productivity sit at an outstation, we usually just head down to the operations breakroom and sit there or up in the terminal.

You guys get free coffee and popcorn? I'll have to see if we can get that in our next contract.

Our crew rooms always smell like feet. They do have computers and chairs. If you're there early enough, you can snag a comfy one.

Oh this thread is hilarious... wait 'til you see the LGA Piedmont crew room! *GAG!*

At least they are remodeling it right now. They will be finally replacing the furniture that has nasty stains that you would rather not find out what they are...eeeeew.

Crew rooms are a place away from the masses. They have bathrooms that are only used by hundreds of people a day, not thousands. Sometimes they're carpeted. The chairs in some are comfy, some aren't. Some have couches. Most have cable/sat TV, which works sometimes.

They're not fabulous, but it's a place to go where you don't have to deal with people constantly asking you where G21 is when you just want to sit down for a few minutes. (If I'm up in the terminal, I expect to be asked questions like that and I always respond politely & professionally, but it nice to get away from sometimes.)

Oh this thread is hilarious... wait 'til you see the LGA Piedmont crew room! *GAG!*

At least they are remodeling it right now. They will be finally replacing the furniture that has nasty stains that you would rather not find out what they are...eeeeew.

Oh yeah! And I still see people sleeping on those couches! YUCK!
I use that room to store my junk, and then go upstairs and start my powerwalk.

Crew rooms are also the best places to circulate, and hear about, rumors of PHX bases opening for a respective dash operator, and LAX/SFO/DEN rumors for a respective saab operator.

Our crew room in EWR isn't bad. A lot of comfy recliners and a big flat screen tv. Unfortunately, they mounted the tv where the recliners are so nobody can sleep. There's free coffee, fridge, microwave etc. Computers with restricted internet access. We have some lockers in the corner but I don't know what deal is with those. Oh yea there's also a shower. Basically a place to get away from the passengers and to hear the latest rumors.

Popcorn would be nice though.

We just lost our old crew room in Dayton and were given this. Keep in mind this is a domicile with about 100 pilots and 125 FAs.

These pictures were actually taken for the grievance that has been filed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• S1050754.JPG
    S1050754.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 487
The crew room is the best place to get the latest gossip about the company/personal. You will hear the best stories of overnights, crew members, etc. I'm JFK based and our crew room is okay. Space is limited at Kennedy so what you get is what you have to deal with. Internet/computers, couches, coffee, Direct TV is what we have. Good place to kill time on those lovely 3-4 hour crew appreciation breaks.

Our crew room in EWR isn't bad. A lot of comfy recliners and a big flat screen tv. Unfortunately, they mounted the tv where the recliners are so nobody can sleep. There's free coffee, fridge, microwave etc. Computers with restricted internet access. We have some lockers in the corner but I don't know what deal is with those. Oh yea there's also a shower. Basically a place to get away from the passengers and to hear the latest rumors.

Popcorn would be nice though.

Did you guys take the crew room near gate 83 in the C terminal? The one that looks like a giant triangle?

Did you guys take the crew room near gate 83 in the C terminal? The one that looks like a giant triangle?

that place is a ghost town. i had recurrent last month (still in the classroom down there) and nothing has been done with that space yet. no furniture except some old computer monitors left.

One aspect of the crew room not mentioned is that it turn into the home address of about 1/3 of the commuters. Go in there in the evening and you'll find people in their pajamas with blankets and pillows from the aircraft. Many cover themselves (heads included) with the blankets to shield themselves from the noise and light. It's inexpensive but it's got to be brutal. AH! Usually said crewmembers are trying to scam rooms from crew scheduling so they can have a bed for the night.

One aspect of the crew room not mentioned is that it turn into the home address of about 1/3 of the commuters. Go in there in the evening and you'll find people in their pajamas with blankets and pillows from the aircraft. Many cover themselves (heads included) with the blankets to shield themselves from the noise and light. It's inexpensive but it's got to be brutal. AH! Usually said crewmembers are trying to scam rooms from crew scheduling so they can have a bed for the night.

Heh. Been there and done that a time or two in ORD.

Back