Cowl Flaps Question

Closed on approach. Open on Go-Around. Because: Amplitude of Heat.

If it's too hard to understand this and recall it at appropriate moments during the flight regime... Well then, I guess just avoid aviation and go back to whatever you do when you're not bungling up an aircraft and putting people or equipment at risk.

There's a checklist for both Approach/Landing and Go-Around. Like the two departures at SFO, BOTH of these checklists should be briefed BEFORE commencing the approach.
You'll hate this video about 20 seconds in.

View: https://youtu.be/uqMVZXYFvTA

You'll hate this video about 20 seconds in.

View: https://youtu.be/uqMVZXYFvTA
Meh, I don't hate much of anything, perhaps excepting apathetic. When it comes to doing stuff in an airplane, as long it's "real pilot stuff", I just look for a valid reason for doing it. If, in fact, the engine was "very cool", then OK, open the cowls. I don't really care; It's his engine, and his inability to remember to open the flaps on the go, and his insurance policy. Nothing to do with me, bro.

However, if you hold yourself out as a Pro...

This is why I get so annoyed with McPilots, and McStandards, and McAirlines. A real pilot's job is to assess, understand, and then act appropriately based on his knowledge of the proximate and consequent situation...

Anyone can be taught to heat a grill to 380 degrees, place a burger on it's first side for 130 seconds... etc.

I don't want a human robot flying my airplane or cooking my burger. I don't need a chef, but I at least want a qualified competent cook!

I want an airman who understands his systems, and his airspace, and his surrounding traffic, and his speed/altitude/heading, and what's in front of him at that altitude now and five minutes hence, and his regs, and every other damned thing that affects his flight or might affect his flight and ... then, adjusts and acts appropriately to preserve the safety of the flight.

Pound sand, McPilots! Many of McPilots literally rely upon the A/P button to save your asses when things go FUBAR, and have no idea that the truth is precisely the opposite.

If you possess any modicum of perspicacity and honesty, you'll agree this is true these days.

They tried to burn Scully for actuating the APU 'cause it wasn't on the checklist. If Scully had not done that (off checklist), his aircraft would have been doomed. Like I said, GO. POUND. SAND.

And then, maybe, go look in the mirror and ask yourself some important questions. Much more important questions than, "how much money did I bank this month?"

Last edited:
thanks for your input, yeager
THAT'S the best you got? Really?

No wonder this industry is teetering on the edge of disaster.

BTW, that's a metaphor riaaaght thar. Just saying. Maybe y'all just repeat the metaphors you've been enthralled to repeat by your FaceFeedNews without really possessing any individual ability whatsoever to create your own. IDK??

Last edited:
your gripes in your previous tome are in a thread from a GA guy asking about technique, and you wax poetic about steely eyed missile man operators because you have nothing to actually contribute outside of adding bytes to the server rack in Doug's bathroom

contribute something to the community instead of talking to the empty chair

your gripes in your previous tome are in a thread from a GA guy asking about technique, and you wax poetic about steely eyed missile man operators because you have nothing to actually contribute outside of adding bytes to the server rack in Doug's bathroom

contribute something to the community instead of talking to the empty chair
We want to build a community where one can ask questions. That's how we become better pilots. We ask, and learn from those that have come before us. We're all supposed to be mentors. That duty doesn't stop until the day we leave this earth. Even then it truly doesn't stop if we did it right. That knowledge and attitude will continue to be passed down.

But when we have people like him that come in and belittle somebody for asking a question, that's how aviation goes to bad places. It really goes back to when we were plowing airplanes into the side of mountains regularly because we fostered an environment where members of the crew were not allowed to ask questions of the Captain. The Sky God mentality.

That's the exact mentality I am starting to see here. There's no attitude of wanting to help. It's a constant talk of how bad other people are around them. No willingness to share from their mistakes. This attitude needs to go away. Now.

We want to build a community where one can ask questions. That's how we become better pilots. We ask, and learn from those that have come before us. We're all supposed to be mentors. That duty doesn't stop until the day we leave this earth. Even then it truly doesn't stop if we did it right. That knowledge and attitude will continue to be passed down.

But when we have people like him that come in and belittle somebody for asking a question, that's how aviation goes to bad places. It really goes back to when we were plowing airplanes into the side of mountains regularly because we fostered an environment where members of the crew were not allowed to ask questions of the Captain. The Sky God mentality.

That's the exact mentality I am starting to see here. There's no attitude of wanting to help. It's a constant talk of how bad other people are around them. No willingness to share from their mistakes. This attitude needs to go away. Now.

I liked this post, then I unliked it so I could like it again.

Meh, I don't hate much of anything, perhaps excepting apathetic. When it comes to doing stuff in an airplane, as long it's "real pilot stuff", I just look for a valid reason for doing it. If, in fact, the engine was "very cool", then OK, open the cowls. I don't really care; It's his engine, and his inability to remember to open the flaps on the go, and his insurance policy. Nothing to do with me, bro.

This is why I get so annoyed with McPilots, and McStandards, and McAirlines. A real pilot's job is to assess, understand, and then act appropriately based on his knowledge of the proximate and consequent situation...

Anyone can be taught to heat a grill to 380 degrees, place a burger on it's first side for 130 seconds... etc.

I don't want a human robot flying my airplane or cooking my burger. I don't need a chef, but I at least want a qualified competent cook!

I want an airman who understands his systems, and his airspace, and his surrounding traffic, and his speed/altitude/heading, and what's in front of him at that altitude now and five minutes hence, and his regs, and every other damned thing that affects his flight or might affect his flight and ... then, adjusts and acts appropriately to preserve the safety of the flight.

Pound sand, McPilots! Many of McPilots literally rely upon the A/P button to save your asses when things go FUBAR, and have no idea that the truth is precisely the opposite.

If you possess any modicum of perspicacity and honesty, you'll agree this is true these days.

They tried to burn Scully for actuating the APU 'cause it wasn't on the checklist. If Scully had not done that (off checklist), his aircraft would have been doomed. Like I said, GO. POUND. SAND.

And then, maybe, go look in the mirror and ask yourself some important questions. Much more important questions than, "how much money did I bank this month?"

You’re like a living, breathing example of an FOI stereotype of the machismo hazardous attitude.

In this case, him was me. Sorry if watching temps and making a decision based on it doesn't meet your personal pro standards. Well, not really sorry. I don't care about your opinion quite enough for that.

What on earth are you rambling about? I reread it twice and it actually made less sense the second time around. Good God, Man.

Question: Why are all your posts edited? Is your thesaurus failing you midway through your post?

To the OP:

I'll agree with the previous post about it isn't THAT urgent in a go-around, as in it won't kill you but you'll notice the temps rising in an instrument scan when you finish reconfiguring after the go. It won't be as noticeable as the prop, but isn't as critical.

What on earth are you rambling about? I reread it twice and it actually made less sense the second time around. Good God, Man.

Question: Why are all your posts edited? Is your thesaurus failing you midway through your post?
Act correctly... or not. Obviously, these days, few know there might be a difference. Fewer know the difference. Even fewer care about the difference.

Act correctly... or not. Obviously, these days, few know there might be a difference. Fewer know the difference. Even fewer care about the difference.
But you come in here and shame people for asking questions and trying to learn. You act like they should be born with this knowledge from the day they're born.

What you don't seem to understand is that your manner of writing is not only off-putting, it's condescending and arrogant. Like you feel some kind of need to write in a way that makes you seem like you're better, smarter and above the fray of the rest of us bug smashing puddle jump drivers when you're in fact surrounded by folks that I'd wager have a vast array of experience that matches or exceeds yours. Write like you talk to people in real life and I suspect you'll get a lot more productive dialogue, e.g. this last post where everyone is just supposed to accept that your definition of "correct" is accurate, definitive and beyond question.

Regarding cowl flaps, it's been almost a decade since I last flew I hp piston but as I remember it if you managed the temps in the descent then opening them on final wouldn't make any difference. I think at 9K in the 402 we ran them in "trail" (basically unlocked, half open half closed) during the approach phase and in my 210 I would open them on final as one less thing to deal with in the event of a go-around.

Enlighten me how to act correctly, please. I’m also versed in the difference. Unlike you, I contribute to this forum and have helped quite a few folks out who actually contribute here. What have you done? Is this how you act correctly? All your posts are condescending, or in some form of Ebonics - which no one can understand. Derg developed this forum to help others out in the industry, not to have trolls derail every thread.

So, again, enlighten me how to act correctly. I’ll be waiting.

But you come in here and shame people for asking questions and trying to learn. You act like they should be born with this knowledge from the day they're born.
I have not, nor ever* will, intentionaly, shame people for asking questions. That is completely inimical to pretty much everything that defines me as a person in this increasingly FUBAR world. Good questions, considerately and consistently asked and attempted to answer, are the only thing the allow us, as a species, to continue to breathe

*I do not typically utilize superlatives. This instance is a bit of an exception.

Enlighten me how to act correctly, please. I’m also versed in the difference. Unlike you, I contribute to this forum and have helped quite a few folks out who actually contribute here. What have you done? Is this how you act correctly? All your posts are condescending, or in some form of Ebonics - which no one can understand. Derg developed this forum to help others out in the industry, not to have trolls derail every thread.

Already stated. I will not repeat myself in response to your apparent lack of comprehension. Go back to school... or something. Just please, stop bashing me for presenting the very questions you later state you revere.

Back