Corporate to ACMI?

As predicted, I'll be in ICN in 3 days. Coming from corporate, you should be used to schedule changes. The best part is go home day never changes unless I want it to.

Again, K4 and cargo only. Ymmv.

Oh man, you have to change hotels, rental cars, customs, pax catering, call the FBO's........oh wait......never mind!

Now you're getting it. Being a senior FO is the best life too. I show up when I'm supposed to and fly every once in a while. Other than that, I just make sure nobody screws up.
Tell me about it.

I just got 49 days off for 7 days vacation. And after working 15 days, I will get another 44 days off for another 7 days vacation used. So 15 days of work and 93 days off. Yeah.

I'm on the threshold for upgrade but pulled my standing bid back to FO. Why? Well, I get the schedules I want and vacation I want. It's a pilot market now and will be for a while, so when I apply at FedEx/UPS they aren't going to say, "Gee why didn't you upgrade." It'll be more like, "We need bodies and you're qualified. When can you start?" And I won't have to answer dumb interview questions like, "Why did you fail an upgrade and now want to change companies?"

Stupid question, but I assume they feed you guys on the long legs? A crew meal for me is a sandwich if I have time to go grab one....

Tell me about it.

I just got 49 days off for 7 days vacation. And after working 15 days, I will get another 44 days off for another 7 days vacation used. So 15 days of work and 93 days off. Yeah.

Damn son! How long have you been where you are?

Stupid question, but I assume they feed you guys on the long legs? A crew meal for me is a sandwich if I have time to go grab one....

Damn son! How long have you been where you are?
Food is onboard as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the union and the company. It dictates the amount of hot meals, cold sandwiches and other stuff (fruit, water, scooby snacks) based on length of flight. There is more food than most can comfortably eat. We do have one guy who is a biscuit shy of 400 pounds who eats about 5 meals and there's still plenty for everyone else.

I'm at Southern on the 777, who is merging with Atlas and been around about 3 years. Screaming Emu is on the Atlas side (747) so he's a good resource for that platform.

Food is onboard as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the union and the company. It dictates the amount of hot meals, cold sandwiches and other stuff (fruit, water, scooby snacks) based on length of flight. There is more food than most can comfortably eat. We do have one guy who is a biscuit shy of 400 pounds who eats about 5 meals and there's still plenty for everyone else.

I'm at Southern on the 777, who is merging with Atlas and been around about 3 years. Screaming Emu is on the Atlas side (747) so he's a good resource for that platform.

Sounds like I won't go hungry.....which is nice.

I have a buddy on the 777 at SOO, he enjoys it.

Tell me about it.

I'm on the threshold for upgrade but pulled my standing bid back to FO. Why? Well, I get the schedules I want and vacation I want. It's a pilot market now and will be for a while, so when I apply at FedEx/UPS they aren't going to say, "Gee why didn't you upgrade." It'll be more like, "We need bodies and you're qualified. When can you start?" And I won't have to answer dumb interview questions like, "Why did you fail an upgrade and now want to change companies?"

I thought PIC was a hard requirement for both FDX and UPS to be hired.

FWIW, if Brown hadn't called, I would have been pretty happy hanging my hat at Omni for life. It's a hell of a lot better than the best 135 I ever heard of, let alone worked for. IMHO, it's the best-kept "secret" in long-haul for a lazy bastard (like me). Sure, you'll never break guarantee, but that's a good thing if you're flying ~25 (my average) for 64 hours of pay. When I'm locked in a Shenzhen hotel room with some ChiCom Enforcer sitting outside with bayonet fixed I sometimes hanker for those simpler times when I was hanging out at home wondering why the phone never rang.

Wherever you go, even if it's Atlas, I sincerely doubt you'll regret the change. Do it.

Maybe. But I have a few thousand from previous jobs.

But then again I think in the near future employers aren't going to be able to be picky.

FedEx has already lowered the hard TPIC min to 500. I hope we keep that though, I truly do think there’s a lot of benefit to having people with some TPIC under their belt.

FWIW, if Brown hadn't called, I would have been pretty happy hanging my hat at Omni for life. It's a hell of a lot better than the best 135 I ever heard of, let alone worked for. IMHO, it's the best-kept "secret" in long-haul for a lazy bastard (like me). Sure, you'll never break guarantee, but that's a good thing if you're flying ~25 (my average) for 64 hours of pay. When I'm locked in a Shenzhen hotel room with some ChiCom Enforcer sitting outside with bayonet fixed I sometimes hanker for those simpler times when I was hanging out at home wondering why the phone never rang.

Wherever you go, even if it's Atlas, I sincerely doubt you'll regret the change. Do it.

Who knew that vampires could wear Pullman Brown.

But then again I think in the near future employers aren't going to be able to be picky.

FedEx has already lowered the hard TPIC min to 500. I hope we keep that though, I truly do think there’s a lot of benefit to having people with some TPIC under their belt.

TPIC isn't as big of a deal as it used to be at some shops. Think that the same will go for the degree requirement too for 121 pax and cargo? Except Delta. I don't ever think that, that requirement will ever disappear. I know a lot of places have said a degree is preferred. But I have serious doubts if you'll ever be at the top three legacies and the top two cargo shops sans degree.

TPIC isn't as big of a deal as it used to be at some shops. Think that the same will go for the degree requirement too for 121 pax and cargo? Except Delta. I don't ever think that, that requirement will ever disappear. I know a lot of places have said a degree is preferred. But I have serious doubts if you'll ever be at the top three legacies and the top two cargo shops sans degree.
UPS doesn't require a degree. Or to shave apparently.

UPS doesn't require a degree. Or to shave apparently.

Oh cool, didn't know that. But I heard from two JC members recently hired there, that they want like a crap load of PIC. Not sure if that was because of COVID, or not. Or if in the emerging market post pandemic the PIC mins. will be decreased or not.

TPIC is only required at FedEx and UPS. That may or may not go away. I doubt the requirement for a degree will ever go away though. Most of the cadet programs require it.

Back