Corporate to ACMI?

Jimmy_Norton

Long shot, but anyone on here ever make the transition from a corporate flight department to an ACMI like Atlas? Just wondering how the transition was, what you like about your new job, what you dislike, what you wish you knew going into it, etc etc. I may have the opportunity to make such a move, and I'm trying to go into it with as much info as I can.

I'll write more later but almost 15 years corporate/charter and went ACMI. I'm happy and am a lifer. It's not for the feint of heart. Ymmv.

I was a CP for a fairly large management company and made the switch to an ACMI (OY). I have zero regrets. I thoroughly enjoy bidding my schedule and having more time at home. Sitting in a aluminum tube for 10-14 isn't fun, but it pays the bills. Like Mike said, ACMI is a great place to hang your hat while you check the heavy boxes. We'll be hiring in the near future, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
I'm also curious about making a similar transition but from a 135 carrier. From the outside looking in it seems like a way to keep all the things I like about my current job but with more schedule stability and thus QOL. 16-17 day trips would be an improvement over the 21-30 day trips we do routinely and being able to plan days off in advance is a great plus, especially since my past experience on a rotational schedule was positive. In fact my company often subcontracts work to several of the ACMI carriers if the job is too big to fit in a Gulfstream, and I routinely see their planes around the world in the same places we go to. I have a close friend at OY that absolutely loves it and have talked to some Atlas crews on the road that all enjoy it but wish the pay was higher. Will it universally be an upgrade in QOL compared to 135?

Do it. Don't look back. Just look elsewhere as soon as you check the heavy 121 box.
Hardest part, crappy food and sitting on your hands and applying industrial strength not giving a • when the operation is a rudderless ship.

I am very good at not giving a crap, which probably makes me not as good of a corporate pilot as I should be.

I was a CP for a fairly large management company and made the switch to an ACMI (OY). I have zero regrets. I thoroughly enjoy bidding my schedule and having more time at home. Sitting in a aluminum tube for 10-14 isn't fun, but it pays the bills. Like Mike said, ACMI is a great place to hang your hat while you check the heavy boxes. We'll be hiring in the near future, feel free to PM me.

OY = Omni? I have heard very good things about working there, I would love to apply.

I'm also curious about making a similar transition but from a 135 carrier. From the outside looking in it seems like a way to keep all the things I like about my current job but with more schedule stability and thus QOL. 16-17 day trips would be an improvement over the 21-30 day trips we do routinely and being able to plan days off in advance is a great plus, especially since my past experience on a rotational schedule was positive. In fact my company often subcontracts work to several of the ACMI carriers if the job is too big to fit in a Gulfstream, and I routinely see their planes around the world in the same places we go to. I have a close friend at OY that absolutely loves it and have talked to some Atlas crews on the road that all enjoy it but wish the pay was higher. Will it universally be an upgrade in QOL compared to 135?

If you're already doing rotations that are up to 30 days long, I think its a no brainer. My biggest apprehension is being gone for 17+ days in a row. That will take some getting used to. But the two weeks or so off with no job responsibilities that follow should make up for it.

If you're already doing rotations that are up to 30 days long, I think its a no brainer. My biggest apprehension is being gone for 17+ days in a row. That will take some getting used to. But the two weeks or so off with no job responsibilities that follow should make up for it.
Yep. I had to talk @JDean3204 into it. But now he seems to love that type of schedule.

Yep. I had to talk @JDean3204 into it. But now he seems to love that type of schedule.

Best decision I’ve made yet in my aviation career (thank you to @ASpilot2be). Yes long blocks gone, but I’ve had two blocks of 5+ weeks off at home just this year. That didn’t include the vacation where I made 6 weeks off work with some schedule manipulation. Put it this way, my wife wish I had my airline schedule back and that isn’t due to time away :D

Many here don’t like the company I work for, so I won’t potato toss publicly but PM me @Jimmy_Norton if you need more info on the ACMI lifestyle

Last edited:
Best decision I’ve made yet in my aviation career (thank you to @ASpilot2be). Yes long blocks gone, but I’ve had two blocks of 5+ weeks off at home just this year. That didn’t include the vacation where I made 6 weeks off work with some schedule manipulation. Put it this way, my wife wish I had my airline schedule back and that isn’t due to time away :D

Many here don’t like the company I work for, so I won’t potato toss publicly but PM me @Jimmy_Norton if you need more info on the ACMI lifestyle
Glad you're happy man! You deserve it

Another thing that makes me apprehensive is hearing about the "20 hour duty days". Anyone that has flown corporate for any amount of time has had a few stupid long duty days for one reason or another. They suck, but you can push through. How often do you have a long duty day like that, and are they a little more tolerable with a bunk and 2-3 other pilots?

Another thing that makes me apprehensive is hearing about the "20 hour duty days". Anyone that has flown corporate for any amount of time has had a few stupid long duty days for one reason or another. They suck, but you can push through. How often do you have a long duty day like that, and are they a little more tolerable with a bunk and 2-3 other pilots?

Nowadays they are more frequent due to a big restriction of where we can layover. But under normal times most of my duty days are shorter than my pre 117 regional days. I have heard that K4 makes long duty days lucrative, but I don’t work there so I’ll let someone who does speak to that

The longer duty days pertain to the freight side of ACMI. We're still under 117, so it's nice. The augmented crews makes a huge difference as well. We do have long duty days, 16-18 hours isn't unheard of, but that is usually caused by a mx issue or the customer doesn't have their • together.

If long duty days is your only concern , you'll do just find in the ACMI world.

I love 20 hour duty days. It means I have at least one flight that's probably 10-12 hours and we'll have 4 crew guaranteed. On a 10 hour flight, that's at least a 4.25 hour break. I get a nap in, watch a movie, etc. It's also a good way to pad the paycheck.

This month, as of right now, I'm doing the Anchorage shuttle and it's going to suck. It'll always be 3 crew and very short breaks due to short flight times. It's an 80 hour month that I'll actually have to work. It sucks...but guaranteed I'll be pulled off and be in Incheon before the end of the first 4 days.

This is K4 and cargo only.

As predicted, I'll be in ICN in 3 days. Coming from corporate, you should be used to schedule changes. The best part is go home day never changes unless I want it to.

Again, K4 and cargo only. Ymmv.

Back