Corporate Flying

Flyguy99

Are there many pilots on this forum that are corporate pilots? I'm extremely interested in a career as a corporate pilot. I do think it would be fun to fly the big "heavies" around but, I also think it would be fun to fly the "high rollers" with way too much money to spend. I read the topic on corporate flying a few times but, would be interested to hear anyone elses opinions on the life as a corporate flying. Why did you choose the corporate path, what are the advantages/disadvantages, how unpredictable is your lifestyle, do you wish you flew airlines instead? I appreciate any comments, I'm very interested to learn more.

Since 209 people have read this thread and not responded, I'll help you out. If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them too.

[ QUOTE ]
Are there many pilots on this forum that are corporate pilots?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you choose the corporate path?

[/ QUOTE ]
I always left my options/mind open to all possibilities. Corporate presented itself first, so I ran with it and never looked back. When I turned down a 727 slot with Ryan International for a class with NetJets, FKA Executive Jet, people thought I was nuts. Now they don't think so.

[ QUOTE ]
What are the advantages/disadvantages

[/ QUOTE ]

Advantages: Personal perpective
Great pilots/friends
Great Environment
Great/ new aircraft
Great crew food, hotels, perks.
Varied destinations

Disadvantage: Depends on your perspective and goals.
Being gone from home for 6 to 7 days at a time.
Salaries not quite as high as airline pay. (Depends where you work)

[ QUOTE ]
How unpredictable is your lifestyle?

[/ QUOTE ]
Very predictable. I know what days per month I work 3 months in advance. Company CANNOT call you on your scheduled days off.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you wish you flew airlines instead?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not a chance.

I'm gonna toss one out...

Is it harder to get into corporate flying than airline flying? Pre 9/11 I should say.

I would assume that there are far fewer corporate jobs available.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna toss one out...

Is it harder to get into corporate flying than airline flying? Pre 9/11 I should say.

I would assume that there are far fewer corporate jobs available.

[/ QUOTE ]

While networking is VERY important for all types of flying careers, I think it is especially important for the corporate arena. In times like we are currently dealing with, networking means EVERYTHING!

I always assumed that corporate flying would be quite a bit harder to get into because that's what I always heard/read, but I was talking with a corporate pilot about a month ago and he was telling me that it is a lot easier. I guess I'll do the same as NJA Capt and keep my options open and see what oppritunity presents itself first. I would love to do either corporate or airline.

Don't confuse

Corperate flying

With

Flying smaller Biz-Jets.

they are not the same thing. Corperate flying is when you are on the crew for ONE company, like Merck has a corperate flight department.

The majority, easily in the 90% range, of the "corperate jets" you see are not, they are flying as on demand charter (part 135).

Same equipment, different wages and schedules.

Getting into a corperate job it does help to know someone, I would suggest even more importantly that an average 135 op.

Easier for Corp or airline? Probably corp. There are approx 8700 business JETS registered in the US. That does not included turboprops and piston twins. The US airlines run approx (Wild guess) 3000. My rough numbers would have more aircraft on the corp side of the business. However, pilots employed is a different issue. Most corp department dedicate 1-4 crews per plane where the airlines are about 10 crews per plane. NJA is larger than USAirways in aircraft operated, but has less than half the pilots. But, we average less hours per pilot/per month.

How to network?
Always be at an airport. Work line service. Wash planes for a large corp operator. Date the CP's daughter. Just kidding....sort of.

I have met several pilots at NJA now that went to the commuters to build time so they could apply to NetJets.
I did it the old fashioned way. CFI, Freight Dog, Charter, Corp, NJA.

Glad to be here.
NJA Capt.

NJA_Capt...Thanks for the input!

Its really interesting to hear those stats on the number of jets. I'd never heard that before! I guess in the back of mind I figured that since airliners are the most often seen (by normal, everyday people) that they'd have the highest number. Interesting.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess in the back of mind I figured that since airliners are the most often seen (by normal, everyday people) that they'd have the highest number.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that airlines only serve +/-500 airports in the US where private aircraft have access to 5000+. Many of the major corporate destinations have very little or zero airline traffic. Such as Teterboro, White Plains, Boca, Naples, Santa Monica, ATL-Peachtree/Fulton Co.

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that airlines only serve +/-500 airports in the US where private aircraft have access to 5000+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus the small jets are less intrusive so to speak.

If you see a 777 with United on the side you know it is a carrier.

Small jets are all the "same" to the public.
just like all small planes are Cessna or Piper Cubs, all biz jets are Lear Jets.

People don't know and that is one thing that keep the customers happy. privacy.

Eagle or NJA, what do you guys log when its your turn to fly the leg. Do you log PIC or SIC? Do you have to be typed in the jet to log PIC? Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Eagle or NJA, what do you guys log when its your turn to fly the leg. Do you log PIC or SIC? Do you have to be typed in the jet to log PIC? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

SIC always (for me anyway)you need a type rating to fly as PIC. I do however have an additional column for legs flown.

On a 5 hr day I may have 5 hrs SIC and 2.5 legs flown. Just for my reference.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
All NJA pilots, regardless of position(PIC/SIC) are type in their aircraft. And attend FSI every 6 months (PIC and SIC)

Myself, and all the pilots I have spoken to here, log the time based on our position with the company. If you are an SIC, you log ALL your time as SIC. We (generalization) only log PIC time when the company designates us PIC. Makes for easier record keeping. Although LEGALLY you could log PIC during your legs. When I bid Captain to other aircraft, I started logging SIC time again until I was "released" as PIC in the new A/C. When two Capts are flying together, the senior pilot is the "released" PIC.

[ QUOTE ]
Eagle,
Did you fly in the CG? I was wondering how you got the job you currently have.

[/ QUOTE ]

You kidding me??!!! CG pilots fly in weather that no sane person should be flying in.. except the 65 pilots. it is like pulling teeth to get them up...grin....

How I got the job is simple... our CP a retired Delta guy, has been a friend of mine for a few years. we keep our airplanes at the same airport and have been in the same circle of aviation friends for a while. I handed him my resume with 27hrs multi, and a temp ticket.. I worked great hrs in the the CG, on day on 2-3 days off.. so part time flying. the CG and the company meshed quite well. But when it boils down to it he trusts me and my judgement, and strongly reccomended me to the owners.

[ QUOTE ]
When I bid Captain to other aircraft, I started logging SIC time again until I was "released" as PIC in the new A/C. When two Capts are flying together, the senior pilot is the "released" PIC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you bid capt on a different acft? then off to FSI or is there a seat lock?

[ QUOTE ]
Can you bid capt on a different acft? then off to FSI or is there a seat lock?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two year seat lock (waivable if no bidders)
Yes, we bid from captain on one a/c to capt on the other, seniority allowing. When the bid is awarded you are sent to FSI to type in the new airplane.

NJA what kind of equipment are you currently flying right now? I worked the line at an airport that in the peak summer travel times we probably had 4-6 NJA flights a day it seemed and other days much much more. Always enjoyed getting to check out yalls jets as most of the pilots were always more than happy to show off their toys! Working there became quite fond of the Cit Excel as well as Cit X.

[ QUOTE ]
NJA what kind of equipment are you currently flying right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> I fly the Citation X and love every minute of it. </font>
cool.gif

Back