Corporate Flying

You don't even know how weird it is to hear you say that: I know that guy that has less than 1,000 total and is flying SIC on the Citation 500. He's my age (we graduated high school the same year) and we've been doing some flying together every summer for the last couple years. Met him years and years ago when we were both hardcore into flight simulator, and kept up through the years. He's one HECK of a pilot, one of the most professional guys I know.

Cheers

John Herreshoff.

[ QUOTE ]
NJA_Capt or C650, have you ever run into corporate guys that got into a flight department with really low time because of who they new within the company (low time ex. 500-1000 hrs)?

[/ QUOTE ]
One of my best friends in college got a job flying a King Air 300 by working line service where the planes were based. He never applied to them. They came to him and another line guy. At the time, he became the lowest time "type rated" King Air 300 pilot in the US (per Flight Safety) at approx 300hrs TT. He has since given up flying as a career.

A side note. Out my four closest friends I went to college with, I am the only one in a flying position. All 5 of us were NIFA pilots in college. The other four are in non-aviation related fields now.

I think it does great disservice to the guys that get on corp at very low time. It is a very steep learning curve and if not built in small doses it can make you pretty bitter about the job. It also takes a great toll on your significant other. Being gone a sporadic night or two every month or so, is nothing compared to 7 straight nights twice a month. My wife and I love my schedule now and she has been through every step of my journey. Could you imagine meeting a new gal and telling her you'll be "gone" 14 days a month? (sound of running and door slam)

Two of the best jobs you can have to build yourself are instructing (1000+ hours) and 135 freight.

Back