Corporate Flying

Bastard!
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
NJA Capt:

Is NJA for Net Jets, and if so are they owned by Fred Shaulis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, NJA is for NetJets Aviation. Formerly know by EJA (Executive Jet Aviation)
No, who is Fred Shaulis?

Flyguy99
I fly corporate and I love it. I fly for a private company and it is usually the same people in the company that use the jet. It is very rewarding to work with the senior leadership in the company. I often hear priviledged information so maturity and discretion is of paramount importance. I value the trust that goes with this. When I did this type of flying in the military I had to maintain my secret clearance. Corporate flying may not be the Brass Ring financially that the airlines are, but as you will learn in life some qualities of life cannot be equated financially. I am the sole bread winner in my house, my wife is a stay at home mom. I have 2 children in private school and we live in a very nice home. What I am saying is a person can earn an honest living doing the corporate gig. Corporate flying offers the best challenge to staying sharp as you will fly to different places in all types of weather. Corporate flying is as much about WHO you know as it is of What you know. I recommend you work hard and network for that job you want.

[ QUOTE ]
I often hear priviledged information so maturity and discretion is of paramount importance. I value the trust that goes with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

When my dad worked in South Africa he used to speak to the company drivers to see what was going on with the company, as they often overheard the conversations going on in the back. He learnt a lot about the company!

It's nice to read posts from people doing the kind of flying that I think would more fit my goals and background. My dream is either corporate or fractional. Quality of life issues being first, and the ability to change things up quite a bit being another. Not to mention the 7 on 7 off schedule of NetJets sounds very appealing. My wife finds spending time with me very important (go figure).

Any advice on routes to take to have a better resume' with reguards to this path? I am a 30 something police sergeant of ten years whom just started my commercial training. I finished up my instrument over the weekend (thank goodness) and plan on going the instructor route here in the Phoenix area. Fortunately I already have my B.A. Actually on that note, should I be considering an advanced degree if I want to follow this path?

Congratulations on the instrument ticket! It's the toughest thing you'll do until your Citation X type rating.

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice on routes to take to have a better resume' with regards to this path?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're on the right track with your CFI ticket(s). I recommend the big 3. CFI,CFII,MEI. After that, seek out a good FAR135 outfit (freight dogging, then pax) to build your instrument skills and build that all important multi time. For the frax path, consider highlighting safety and customer service.

[ QUOTE ]
...should I be considering an advanced degree if I want to follow this path?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my humble opinion, no. A BA/BS degree is about par for the profession. Although, there are quite a few pilots at NetJets with PHDs. A few are doctors, lawyers, and engineers.

NJA Capt., Thank you for the reply. I will continue along on the training, and keeping tabs on these forums for information. Thanks again....

I too am looking for a career as a corporate or fractional pilot. I have had a real soft spot for those types of aircraft as well as the type of flying. I have just completed my CFII and plan to finish school and flight instruct. I'm hoping that I will be able to bridge the gap from instructing to flying fracs with some rather rewarding jobs. I also look ahead beyond flying jets to being very interested in teaching pilots to fly biz jets, but one step at a time. I suppose 135 charter is way to help myself get to the fractionals. Any suggestions and stories how anyone has done it are greatly appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]
I too am looking for a career as a corporate or fractional pilot. Any suggestions and stories how anyone has done it are greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to start a new thread here, but be careful what you wish for because there is a big difference between being a coporate pilot and a fractional pilot. Although we fly the same types of airplanes our lives are very different. The Frac guys go to work based on sheduling, some do 7 days on and 7 days off or some other variation, but the deal is you leave home for a period of time. It sounds like a great way to build experience and get to fly good equipment, but I wouldn't trade paychecks with any of them. As a coporate guy I fly as needed by the company, this week I am scheduled one day trip and next week I am scheduled for a 4 day trip. While I am away on my 4 day trip I will have 2 "down" days where I will run around in the rental car the company provides and enjoy some very nice grocerys courtousy of a very liberal expense account, not buying dinner based on how much per diem I'm allowed. As far as how to get here ... work hard and get to know someone on the "inside" of where you want to work.

Does anyone know about AT&T's or Merck & Company's flight department? Type of aircraft, how many, and how often they fly? Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like a great way to build experience...

[/ QUOTE ]

You pointed out several valid points, but the above quote I had to single out. Build experience for what? NJA long ago became more of a destination than a stepping stone. We have pilots here with more total time than the entire pool at some commuters. Combined with the fact that the minimum requirements are double or triple the commuter and major airlines. I have met several NJA pilots now, that went to the commuters to gain "experience" to come to NJA. I thought that was pretty cool.
grin.gif

Schedules are greatly different as you pointed out. I am gone a set number of days per month. However, I currently know every day I will work from now until the end of September. Plus, when I am home the company cannot call me back out. When you are OFF, you are OFF. IE...no pager.

To everyone else,
C650CPT pointed out there is a great deal of diversity between corporate and fractional flying. There are some corp jobs better than fracs and visa versa. As he said, get to know someone on the inside and find out how they tick.

NJA Capt
Good points and I didn't mean any thing by the great opportunity to build experience except that. I think the type of flying we do is actually very simular, different destinations all the time, no canned routes for the month. This type of flying challenges one in every aspect from flight planning and weather analysis to performance planning.

I think one reason your companies flight experience is so high is you have alot of retired part 121 pilots ie: over 60, I am jealous of you. If given the opportunity to fly with a 4000 hr. pilot or a 24000 hr. pilot I'd choose the latter and glean every piece of wisdom from them I could. Of course we all know the only thing worse than a captain that was never a copilot is a copilot that used to be a captain ... joke.

You are so right when you say there are good jobs and bad jobs in coporate flying. It comes down to corporate character, how do they treat their people. Our company calls us pilots Value Added Employees, while we don't add to the bottom line, they recognize that we are part of the team that gets the job done. I have struck gold at my company as the lifestyle issue is important from the top down, and while I don't have an exact schedule if I need time off its never questioned. I have had a corporate job where my mere existance was barely tolerated, as if I was to blame for the fact that corporate aviation is expensive.

I can only represent the corporate side of things, but I guarentee this, had I not gotten hired where I am today, I would have applied at the Fracts.

[ QUOTE ]
If given the opportunity to fly with a 4000 hr. pilot or a 24000 hr. pilot I'd choose the latter and glean every piece of wisdom from them I could.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard more stories like these than you would believe:

"There I was in my T37/T38/F4/F16/C12/C2/C5/H-60 etc..."
"There I was over the Atlantic/Pacific/Moon..."
"Once in the 747 over the Philippines..."

And I loved every one of them. It sure makes 7 days go by quick. On the other hand most ex-airline guys get wierd above 41,000. Most have never seen a FL above 350. Not that there's much to see anyway. But hey, it's home, right?

And heck, I've learned some great ACM tactics to use in the X
grin.gif
cool.gif
if I'm ever jumped by a MiG.

Off the subject, I go out again Tues. What type of 650 do you drive, III, VI, or VII? Maybe we'll cross paths in TEB/PBI.

Off the subject, I go out again Tues. What type of 650 do you drive, III, VI, or VII? Maybe we'll cross paths in TEB/PBI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fly a "late" III, ie:spz 8000. Its the only beige 650 out there. If I run into you is there a secret handshake so I know you are on jetcareers.

NJA_Capt or C50, have you ever run into corporate guys that got into a flight department with really low time because of who they new within the company (low time ex. 500-1000 hrs)?

I just got my private and am on track to comercially multi instrument rated by next spring. I plan on getting my CFI and CFII and then instructing for a while. I have a relative in the Palm Sprins area who is a pro at a private golf course. Many of the members at his course own jets and I planned on heading down there after I got some experience to knock on doors.

Thanks

Iruppert
It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, so why not for you. The biggest barrier will be getting the chief pilot to "sell" it to his boss, but more importantly to the insurance company. If you have a commercial ticket and the appropriate training for sic (second in command), the insurance company may require an increase in premium. Present yourself well and you may get in, if you don't, maintain the contacts and update them with a resume, it will show them you are serious. They may not be able to give you a chance but maybe one day they will be talking to another chief pilot who could help you out.
I ran into a pilot about a month ago with less than 1,000 hrs. flying sic on a C-500 for Martin Air out of Atlanta (PDK).

Thanks for the quick reply C650CPT, I'll definitely keep in touch with the contacts. I visit Palm Springs at least once a year and I am always networking when I am there.

On a side note, the reason why I want to pursue flying corporate or for an owner of a business jet is because every pilot I have talked to who flies corporate seems to be happy and love their job. I enjoy hearing you talk so highly of your job, but I also do understand there can be bad corporate jobs too, just like there is bad with pretty much everything. I listened to a chief pilot of a corporation in the upper midwest speak about his job. He described his last 20 years within the flight department as not having a job because he liked it so much. Always enjoyed the people and going on trips. I want to be able to say that and I am going to try my hardest to get hired as a low time pilot (but quality time).

Thanks again

Back