Continental 737 Off Runway In DEN

baghdadbob.jpg

(I keed, I keed :D)

baghdadbob.jpg

(I keed, I keed :D)

"There was no accident in Denver. The weather at Denver is beautiful, with light winds, 365 days per year...and there are no Americans in Iraq."

On a serious note, I do not compare the folks at the NTSB to the Minister of Disinformation.

202353Z 29016G19KT 10SM FEW040 SCT120 M05/M16 A2993 RMK AO2 PK WND 29028/2308 SLP183 T10501161 11028 21050 53021
210053Z 28011KT 10SM FEW040 SCT100 M06/M16 A2997 RMK AO2 PK WND 29027/0000 SLP202 T10561161
210119Z accident
210134Z 29024G32KT 10SM FEW040 SCT100 M04/M18 A2998 RMK AO2 PK WND 28036/0123
210153Z 30018G28KT 10SM FEW040 SCT100 M05/M17 A3000 RMK AO2 PK WND 28036/0123 SLP202 T10501172

Looks like a nice 23 knot crosswind (west to east) for the 34s, gusting to higher values.

First this:
Again, the flight crew and cabin crew did an outstanding job and it shows as there were no fatalities. Even though human error is always pointed out, sometimes there are things the flight crew have no control over.
...followed immediately by:
Again, please reserve judgement and opinion until the facts are in.

...flipping back to:
Good Job and Thank You for doing an excellent job.

So...why are you stating your opinion and giving your judgement that the crew did such a wonderful job before "the facts are in?" How do you know they didn't screw up royally, causing numerous injuries unnecessarily?

:confused:

Reserving judgement should be a two way street, no?

:banghead:
It's frustrating how people attack others on this post.

Yes, it is my opinion that the flight crew did a good job. I am giving them the benifit of doubt. My statement in reserving judgement is not to crucify the crew until the facts are in. From what I have seen so far it sounds like mechanical problems with the jet, not pilot error.

I have tried to stay positive and supportive in my posts. I respect pilots and cabin crews for the job they do. Sorry if that offends some. Please don't make more out of my post than what's there.

On another note, I want to again thank all of the pilots and cabin crews out there, especially during this crazy season, for safely carring the rest of us to our destinations. You have a great profession and my hats off to all of you.

Stay safe and have a happy holiday. :rawk:

yes. they narrowly avoided the disaster of having to go to houston.

Actually, I betcha MOST of the passengers, after having been treated at the hospital, jumped on the next CONTINENTAL flight OUT of Denver!

I know I would've. Much too cold and bleak in Denver.

:banghead:

Well if you're talking about me, I didn't think that I attacked you.

I certainly questioned some things that you said that appeared to be contradictory, but "attack"? I don't think so. Disagreeing or questioning your statements is not the same as attacking you.

I'm sorry that you think I did.

Yes, it is my opinion that the flight crew did a good job. I am giving them the benifit of doubt. My statement in reserving judgement is not to crucify the crew until the facts are in. From what I have seen so far it sounds like mechanical problems with the jet, not pilot error.

As I asked in my last post, is it OK then to jump to conclusions as long as one is supporting the flight crew, but not to question their actions? It doesn't do us any good to sweep errors under the rug - they need to be analyzed and studied and used to prevent future occurences, and a pro-pilot predisposition could be as detrimental to finding the truth as an anti-pilot stance.

I have tried to stay positive and supportive in my posts. I respect pilots and cabin crews for the job they do. Sorry if that offends some. Please don't make more out of my post than what's there.

"Offends?" Certainly doesn't offend me, personally, in the least. I'm glad to see that people respect the crews.

[/quote]On another note, I want to again thank all of the pilots and cabin crews out there, especially during this crazy season, for safely carring the rest of us to our destinations. You have a great profession and my hats off to all of you. Stay safe and have a happy holiday. :rawk:[/QUOTE]

[ Grammar/spelling police are on brake (sic). ]

Even though human error is always pointed out, sometimes there are things the flight crew have no control over. Again, please reserve judgement and opinion until the facts are in.

This was why I was poking fun with the Baghdad Bob. It seemed to admonish us when I could not find an instance in this thread where a cause was definitively named (unless it really was the chemtrail dispenser), or that the accident was the result of the crew's action, or lack thereof. Possibly you were reading another, different aviation forum at the same time as JC?

We are asked to reserve judgment -- which implies impartiality, -- but then you offer an opinion on the performance of the flight crew. That seems like either you have access to information not yet generally available and have reached a personal conclusion, or are prematurely absolving the crew of any significant contribution to the chain of events that led to the accident.

To me, it seems like SteveC did a better job of offering feedback than I am able to do.

I am glad that there appears to be only bruises and broken bones from a high speed crash and fire fed by several thousand gallons of jet fuel. These folks went through basically the final scene in Die Hard 2 and will still be home for the holidays.

(And the accident happened because the aircraft ran over one of those ghosts that has been haunting the north runways ;))

As I stated earlier,

<O:p
I am giving the flight crew the benefit of doubt. It is a process and if I get more information that shows the pilots were directly to blame, then I will be the first to correct myself and use this in a training lesson. If it were you, I would do the same.<O:p

As far as my opinion, facts are facts and when the final report and evidence is released, then my finial opinion will be stated. As I said before, I am trying to be supportive.<O:p

I know that sometimes people need someone to take out their frustrations on, so if it helps, go ahead. Believe it or not I am here to help. I choose to work the incident from the pilots point of view first, to rule in favor or against their significant involvement. It's the way I work and it has served me well. If you don't agree with my posts or views, then please skip it and forgive me for what you feel I got wrong or am being contradictory about.
"It is a two way street", but in today’s media I would think you could appreciate someone not automatically flock shooting the pilots first. "Can't we just get along?"
<O:p</O:p
Respectfully,

Safetyengineer :rawk:

I thought of this thread arriving back in Phoenix last night on a Continental 737 from Houston. Conditions were VFR but the FO (the captain announced in Houston that the FO would be flying) went around at about 200 or 300 feet. The captain made a cabin announcement that there was a "configuration warning" (which is as usefull to me as saying that "something was wrong"), and that it would take about 20 minutes (WTF?) to do the checklists. On the 2nd approach we landed (hard touchdown) without further incident. No friendly captain saying goodbye to the passengers on this one. . . wonder why?

What was really funny was that the flight attendant said "Welcome to Denver" after we landed. . . tee hee. . .

Back