Concern about my new medical certificate

Boskru

Hello,

I just went and got a new 2nd class medical done on Monday and I've got a few concerns. This place was somewhere I've never been before as I had just moved and I was not impressed. The office was disorganized, did not know where their eye charts were, and I had to remind them 4 times that they needed my MedXpress number. The nurse even made a comment about how many other doctors must have been booked because her office was at the end of the FAA examiners list. The staff didn't know what they were required to do for the medical exam. They required cash or check but were unable to provide $5 change when I gave them 80 dollars for the 75 dollar exam. They said they couldn't print up the medical on monday as the doctor was too busy but still hadn't called to me today (Wednesday). I called and they said they needed me to come in because they forgot to do some parts of the exam.

My main concern has to do with the hearing test. I'm very careful; I wear my zulus while flying and ear plugs when around noisy things. When the nurse took me to the sound booth it looked like it was built in the 50s. The door had duct tape to keep the seal on and it didn't want to close. I got done with the left side hearing test and was about halfway through the right when I thought it stopped earlier than normal. I figured that I must have just misjudged it. The doctor came in today (Wednesday) and started talking about unilateral hearing loss and I was surprised. He showed me that I failed to hear several of the frequencies. He mentioned that it wasn't an issue with passing my medical. I have never shown any indication of hearing loss before. I mentioned that I thought the test might have not run properly and he completely dismissed it as IMPOSSIBLE!! Should I be concerned? I'm just worried the FAA would flag it when my hearing is normal again after a functioning hearing test gets done next year?

My second question is about the limitations indicated on the certificate. My previous medical certificates have the limitation "Must wear corrective lenses." This new one says, "Must posesses glasses for near/immediate vision." I know it may be a technicality but am I going to get busted for wearing contacts while flying and not glasses?

Sorry, this ended up being longer than I planned.

I once had a job where my primary responsibility was to calibrate and install audiometers, as well as measure sound pressure in audio booths. You wouldn't believe the kind of garbage we saw.

Let me say this: If it seemed sketchy, it very well may be. If you're that concerned, go find a reputable audiologist and have a hearing test. I'd bet you'll put your worries to rest, and at least you'll know that the results are right.

*** I'm not a doctor, just another pilot.

1) The usual hearing test is spoken voice with back turned at 6 feet.
2) No, if you are wearing contact you re OK. Sounds like they may have selected the wrong option but don't worry for now.
3) This is why I ALWAYS say see an AME who does at least 25 medical a month. Would you go to a heart surgeon who did 5 surgeries a year?? I think not!!

Thanks for the help. I've gone to the same one for the past few years, but I've recently moved and have NO idea of local guys so I picked one that I thought would be alright. Definitely not going to that one again.

3) This is why I ALWAYS say see an AME who does at least 25 medical a month. Would you go to a heart surgeon who did 5 surgeries a year?? I think not!!

Other than asking around, how can you find out how many medicals an AME has done? The FAA website for finding AMEs is quite cumbersome and doesn't present that data.

Back