Computer failure at FAA halts all flight operations

I had three feet of "code for perimeter fence on west side guarded construction access gate (whatever) has changed, contact airport authority or point of contact" on an airport once.

The Feds somehow thought it was important for 121 crew to know that he had to change access codes for the dumptruck he wasn't driving and my dispatcher didn't bother removing them if they even could.

The system has been broken forever but no one wants to pay to fix it.

my favorite will always be a dba Connection turboprop flying DC to NYC
reading thru notam packet as a fastidious reserve FO, there's an FDC notam that the Kabul Aerodrome has a new airport manager and here is his cell number. I have a photo of it somewhere.

should have called it

CIRCLING MDA CAT A 860/HAA 624. TEMPORARY CRANE 493FT MSL

[INTERIOR OF AIRCRAFT FLIGHTDECK. SOME KIND OF WING-THING, WHO CARES.] SWEAT is beading off the NECK of the CAPTAIN, as he wrestles the controls during a very challenging night circling approach in bad weather. But the CAPTAIN is a STUD.

C/A Eastwayne: Don't worry. I've got this. [camera pans slowly in to the icy glare from the CAPTAIN's eyes. He is COMMITTED to get this plane-load of Country and Western Music enthusiasts in to Atlanta and thence back to their homes, families, and loving housewives].

[The CAPTAIN picks up his microphone, and presses the button to call the Lead Hostie/Trolly-Dolly]

C/A Eastwayne: (into microphone): Calm the women and children, that's on Order, all is well. We are landing.

F/O Tremblelip: But, sir, the weather is at minimums! And I don't think we're authorized to circ...

C/A Eastwayne: That's enough of your backtalk, I have a job to do and I mean to do it! Now, make yourself useful and check the NOTAMs for any unlighted cranes within the protected circling area. Be quick about it!

[PAGES and PAGES of perforated paper fly around the cockpit as the F/O desperately attempts to find the relevant NOTAMs and the aircraft jolts from side to side]

F/O Tremblelip: You're right, sir! There is an unlighted crane at 493ft MSL...somewhere within a 4.5nm radius of the runway threshold, sir!

C/A Eastwayne: Good work, Tremb...whatever your name is. Now stop sniveling and set my altitude pre-select at 494ft. We're going in.

[The airplane LANDS, safely. Ground crews come streaming out to carry the Captain away on their shoulders, cheering]

F/O Tremblelip: I still don't think we were authorized to circ...

C/A Eastwayne: [Still being carried about by cheering crowds of ground-crew] No one cares what you think.

First thing I look at is the date of the NOTAM. The part that starts with 202201152000

That’s Jan 15 this year at 20Z.

I immediately ignore any NOTAM for after my arrival time. That eliminates a huge portion for me. Don’t know why the “system” can’t just dump the NOTAMS for the future.
We’re in 2023, boo, but you do you. If you want to check last year’s NOTAMs, go for it. ;)

my favorite will always be a dba Connection turboprop flying DC to NYC
reading thru notam packet as a fastidious reserve FO, there's an FDC notam that the Kabul Aerodrome has a new airport manager and here is his cell number. I have a photo of it somewhere.

should have called it

That one was in every NOTAM packet for a while if memory serves.

We’re in 2023, boo, but you do you. If you want to check last year’s NOTAMs, go for it. ;)

Touche, good catch. 202301152000

Cue the video of Robert Sumwalt (sp?) in the NTSB hearing regarding Air Canada at SFO where he held up a NOTAM package and said "that's all this is, just a bunch of garbage." [in regards to format]

Back