Computer failure at FAA halts all flight operations

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Whats up with this?

maybe they need to clear the browser history

I'm still recovering to get used to the newly named gender neutral, "notice to air missions". Anyway, just dropped my afraid to fly wife off at the airport 1hr ago. Mother-in-law calling her every 30 mins to give her the CNN sky is falling report aint helping with that. After 3 seconds of scrolling twitter comments regarding this, i'm checked out.

edit: mother in law latest was, "Maybe that's all they're telling you it is." Another conspiracy theorist wackadoodle. par the course for those who have no clue how any of this stuff works yet, opinions are VERY creative.

Last edited:
I'm off today but got an alert at 7:42 that the FAA issued a "National Ground Stop" with update at 9:30 EST This from the company...

FAA NAS page.

NATIONWIDE GROUND STOP INITIATED DUE TO U.S. NOTAM SYSTEM OUTAGE.
STAKEHOLDERS CAN EXPECT FURTHER COMMUNICATIONS AS THE SYSTEM RESTORATION
PROCESS IS COMPLETED. PLANNED REFERENCES FOR IAH AND MSP REMOVED FROM THE
PLAN AS CONDITIONS ARE IMPROVING AND VOLUME DEMANDS HAVE BEEN DELAYED DUE
TO THE OUTAGE.

The FAA right now

00292207-76D7-4279-97BA-7EB0BD91C09D.gif

"Grounded"

I mean....it's not exactly noon on 9/11/01 here.

Only applies to domestic departures. Medevac/military/SAR and a couple other “categories” exempt.

In other news, I think I might call in tonight cause tonight’s going to suuuuuuuck

Only applies to domestic departures. Medevac/military/SAR and a couple other “categories” exempt.

In other news, I think I might call in tonight cause tonight’s going to suuuuuuuck

Guess we will see when I call for clearance at 930 this morning.

Just called my local tower. All GA aircraft have just been released. If you are departing on a N callsign you should be good to go.

Vfr was good to go this morning. First I heard of anything was landing at PVD at 0630 on the TV in the FBO.

Never heard New York Approach so quiet.

Last edited:
So this becomes a Schrodinger's cat scenario. Launching VFR or IFR, how would one know that there isn't an NOTAM affecting operations at departure or destination? Such as temporary runway shortages, or VIP TFR.... ? Sure the info from charts still exist but how do would we know that there isn't a temporary situation?

Last edited:
So this becomes a Schrodinger's cat scenario. Launching VFR or IFR, how do would one know that there isn't an NOTAM affecting operations at departure or destination? Such as temporary runway shortages, or VIP TFR.... ? Sure the info from charts still exist but how do would we know that there isn't a temporary situation?
I checked NOTAMs this morning and there was no NOTAM alerting me to the NOTAM system being out of service.

On the other hand, if you would have rushed straight in you could have known what it felt like to be adequately staffed. Real missed opportunity there.

Back