Compass is hiring...

If I wasn't 200 hours short of ATP mins, I would apply. I've talked to their Chief Pilot a few times at various events, and he seems like a great guy. All in all, I heavily dislike the fact that Compass pay is on par (give or take a few percent) with other regionals, which given that they essentially require an ATP to apply and then PIC type you, I think is a bit ridiculous. However, if it continues to work under Delta the way it had under Northwest, that could be a good thing, assuming that one actually makes it upstairs to mainline.

Welcome to reality! Every one used to require 1500 tt and a couple hundred multi just a few short years ago. The standards were set by the NWA MEC. Big News Flash for you is Compass IS a regional. It was created as a flowback pasture when there were NWA pilots on furlough by the time it got off the ground they had been recalled. The reason they set thos standards is because a furloughed mainline guy doesnt want to fly single pilot IFR every day with some one who doesn't meet a rediculously low stardard such as 1500 TT. I don't blame them. Also the Compass pay rates are negotiated to always be industry average. It's part of their contract. That is what the NWA MEC agreed to. Seriously 1500 TT is not that much effort to put into a career.

You rang?? Yeah I have nothing against the Compass guys at all. BUT...it is true that some, not all already consider themselves above Mesaba and Pinnacle.

Recently I was trying to jumpseat home (on a Northwest Mainline flight). I was the first pilot at the gate, and the flight appeared to be full. Well, this Compass guy strolls up and explains to me that they should have the priority over the jumpseat over Mesaba AND Pinnacle! Unbelievable! Well long story short, the conversation was over at that point and we both ended up getting seats in the back no problem.

The kicker is that he believed that a Compass pilot should have the priority on an XJ flight too...HA!.....:whatever:

I ran into an CZ asshat when I was commuting when began talking about staffing and how ALPA should look into offering jobs at CZ for XJ people who meet the CZ mins to help our over staff problem and help their under staff problem. He proceeds to tell me they have "really high" mins at that he was hired with over "3000" hours. I told him "Wow you are pretty low time then I was hired here with twice that" and then I took my seat. There will always be people that think they are better based on what they fly its just the way life goes.

I ran into an CZ asshat when I was commuting when began talking about staffing and how ALPA should look into offering jobs at CZ for XJ people who meet the CZ mins to help our over staff problem and help their under staff problem. He proceeds to tell me they have "really high" mins at that he was hired with over "3000" hours. I told him "Wow you are pretty low time then I was hired here with twice that" and then I took my seat. There will always be people that think they are better based on what they fly its just the way life goes.

I guess you didn't see my post earlier. His RJ is bigger,. ergo, better pilot. Jeesh. What is with you people?

Welcome to reality! Every one used to require 1500 tt and a couple hundred multi just a few short years ago. The standards were set by the NWA MEC. Big News Flash for you is Compass IS a regional. It was created as a flowback pasture when there were NWA pilots on furlough by the time it got off the ground they had been recalled. The reason they set thos standards is because a furloughed mainline guy doesnt want to fly single pilot IFR every day with some one who doesn't meet a rediculously low stardard such as 1500 TT. I don't blame them. Also the Compass pay rates are negotiated to always be industry average. It's part of their contract. That is what the NWA MEC agreed to. Seriously 1500 TT is not that much effort to put into a career.

Never said it was too much effort nor did I ever allude the notion that Compass wasn't a regional. I agree, their pay rates are comparable to the industry, which, in and of itself, isn't saying much.

I am fully aware that a few years ago 2500TT was common when getting hired at a regional (or commuter or whatever you want to call these companies), and I'll go further by saying that I think changing the FARs to require an ATP to occupy any required crew member seat at a 121 carrier would not be out of line- both for the safety of the flying public and for the betterment of this industry.

However, the facts are that Compass is a regional, with significantly higher mins (compared within the past say, 24 months, when other regionals were hiring) and as such, by requiring more experienced pilots in an effort to create better crews, I do not think it is too much to ask that those pilots with greater experience be compensated more appropriately.

However, the facts are that Compass is a regional, with significantly higher mins...

I always thought that Compass wanted higher mins to alleviate the "green-on-green" scenario they would face being a "new" airline and all. Also, because they would be a new airline, insurance would therefore be a hugh factor, cost-wise. Just a thought.

they have high mins b/c thats what the NWA pilots told them to have, its a requirement of the scope relaxation that allows them to exist.

For those that have interviewed with them, how are they about the 1,000 ME requirement? I have over 1,500 hours, but nowhere near 1000 multi (I think I have around 380 only). If anyone has any info, please PM me or post it here.

Thanks

They won't interview you if you don't have 1000 ME, see my post directly above yours. Wouldn't even when every regional in the world was hiring, either.

My buddy got hired last month with under 1000 multi. And I believe their mins are listed at 500 ME now.

Just talked to my buddy who is in class with them now....

Rumors are flying around the school house that Delta may drop the Republic flying using the 170s due to Republic all the sudden becoming a competitor, rather than a contractor almost overnight. They are saying that might make more room for Compass to grow in the coming year.

FWIW.

From what I heard...these last round of guys most had internal recs.

It is the only airline (we won't count GoJet) hiring in an economy that has thousands of pilots out of a job -- probably tough to get an interview without someone walking it in from within.

I guess you didn't see my post earlier. His RJ is bigger,. ergo, better pilot. Jeesh. What is with you people?

They are mainline pilots man... I had a Compass FO ask me "When are you guys gonna stop flying those regional airplanes?"

I'm looking at a furlough in the very near future (a special thanks goes out to a PHX based "express" carrier that is making that happen) and have been hoping to get on with Compass (well, since day one) now that I have over 1000 hrs of RJ time (plus my ME time and my Beech 1900 time) i've been updating my application each week or so. No bites yet... tried one internal recommendation through a friend of a Capt., no luck yet. Anyone know anybody else that might be able to help out with a walk in for an opportunity to interview?

Any help would be appreciated.

Though I think their high hiring mins are the right idea for the industry, Compass' pay rates hardly reflect the value of those who meet them. $24/hr for a PIC-typed ATP? Not even close.

Hit the nail on the head. I mean no disrespect to any Compass pilots, but I can't even bring myself to apply because of the pay. I'm at 2000TT/1200ME with an ATP, and would take a 50% pay cut from my current job flying 402s around. I might be able to justify a small pay cut, but fifty percent? :dunno:

Back