commercial check ride

jon wilson

Pilot4Life
Hello I'm taking my commercial check ride next week. I just need some support. I'm very nervous about it but I know I will do good. I have the maneuvers down but the oral just seems like a lot of information to take in.

The best way to ease the nervousness is to make sure that you are well prepared. READ THE PTS, cover to cover, can't stress that enough. Make sure you know EVERYTHING that will be required of you on your checkride, and make sure that there is nothing in that PTS that you aren't comfortable discussing. Don't assume that your instructor has covered everything, take the initiative yourself to ensure that you are prepared. Use the checklist in the front, have all your documents neatly organized in a folder, with your endorsements in your logbook flagged with those little post it things so that it is as easy as possible for the DPE.

Don't forget the special emphasis areas in the front.

Good luck on your checkride, let us know how it goes.

The big item I have seen commercial applicants get tripped up on is the holding out/ for hire situation.

Someone can pay you to fly their airplane (corp pilot, jumper dumper, ferry pilot), but they can't pay you to appropriate an airplane and fly them around (this is an illegal charter).

Reactions: WS
For private, instrument, and commercial single and multi, when I was nervous I just let it eat me alive. For CFI, I realized you can ease the fear by studying. Go read a chapter of the PHAK right now. It'll make you feel better.

The best way to ease the nervousness is to make sure that you are well prepared. READ THE PTS, cover to cover, can't stress that enough. Make sure you know EVERYTHING that will be required of you on your checkride, and make sure that there is nothing in that PTS that you aren't comfortable discussing. Don't assume that your instructor has covered everything, take the initiative yourself to ensure that you are prepared. Use the checklist in the front, have all your documents neatly organized in a folder, with your endorsements in your logbook flagged with those little post it things so that it is as easy as possible for the DPE.

Don't forget the special emphasis areas in the front.

Good luck on your checkride, let us know how it goes.

I just finished the IR (which also has a lot of knowledge for the oral) and I can tell you a couple of things helped. All require a bit of money:

1) I booked a couple of mock orals with some seasoned CFIIs at my school, where they grilled me harder than any DPE should. (Notice I said "should" not "would.") They worked out of the PTS and focused on the PTS.
2) I picked up some oral exam prep flashcard software from Dauntless. It was really helpful, because it wasn't just facts, it was also discussion scenarios.
3) The Gleim prep book set up the PTS in a framework that, for me, was much easier to understand.
4) I "taught" some of the more complex items to a couple of pilot friends. That helped me frame/understand some of the concepts better; when you can correctly teach something, you really, really know it.

I've been told time and time again that a DPE will often go way beyond the PTS to test your knowledge - he just can't fail you beyond the PTS knowledge. They do this because they like to teach you something, and they like to measure the quality and depth of instruction they're getting from the CFI's sending them applicants.

Be overprepared and it will feel easy.

Get with your aircrafts mechanic and the logbooks and be able to locate and discuss all the required maintenance.
Annual, 100 hour if required, ELT (91.207d), 91.411 & 91.413 requirements, AD's, etc.
For the airframe, engine, prop and accessories.
Also review the equipment list in the POH/AFM. Have a general knowledge of the aircraft systems but don't build the plane.
Enjoy the check ride, don't sweat the check ride. Have fun.

My examiner spent what seemed like an inordinate amount of time on airworthiness as well. I would also familiarize yourself with the FAA pub "plane sense"
As well as the commercial privileges Advisory Circular describing common carriage.
"Everything explained for the Professional Pilot" is an excellent non official reference that spells out the regulations in English and cites the source material. Not a book to bring on the day of the checkride however.

I remember the DPE on my checkride hit commercial regulations (fly for hire), airworthiness regulations, systems, and weather the hardest. He seemed to be focusing on the things that could get you killed or violated once you get the commercial ticket.

Remember, you have the entire test in front of you already...PTS! Read each knowledge area and try to think of any questions he could ask under that. Know you AFM/POH, especially systems and limitations.

Lastly, relax! Make good decisions and prove you are ready to be a commercial pilot.

The oral went really bad because I was asked if I needed anything out of aviate to fly legal. Then I was ask about 91.407 91.413 I got stuck on it then I failed. I'm going to study very hard. Damm scenarios always get me.

Back