College degree

If it wasn't already an old subject I'd like to see a "Who paid for your college" poll too.

Have a degree. I don't think it is a complete joke, but I did vote that way because there is alot of hypocrisy to it nowadays. Oh...and I paid for it..Every single last cent..Myself. My housing, food, car, inurance, etc...Everything.

I paid for even penny of mine, took all the tough courses, graduated with a 3.8, and think school itself did very little, if anything, to change me as a person. I feel the degree and the classes I took will have very little bearing on my career, other than the fact that some jobs will require it. The only true benefit I got out of college were the friends I made. I do not literally mean college is a joke, I just did not find it to be life changing. Keep in mind I have only been out of college for six months. A few years from now I may have a different viewpoint.

Alex.

Jinxy, I didn't vote because the options don't work for me.

<---------I do not have a degree, but I certainly don't think that the lack of the degree has hurt my career in any way. My career (ag pilot) doesn't require a degree.

The second option is "Don't have one and wouldn't want one". I wouldn't say that I wouldn't want one simply for the fact that in other areas of aviation, it would add a checkmark. That is an important thing to have, especially if you are a young guy looking to get to the majors.

The degree is not a joke and I wish I had one but I do not however believe having a degree makes a better pilot.

Did it do anything for my flying career? No, not not really. Did I have a good time in college? Yes.

Then again, I didn't decide on pursuing aviation as a career until after college. However, I believe that college is more than just a degree.

And I am talking the type of college where you live in dorms and attend classes and live away from home. Not the online/live with parents kind.

May I ask a question? Generally speaking. . .and I am speaking in general, can you or can you not differentiate over time those individuals who are degreed vice those who aren't?

Just wondering. . .

May I ask a question? Generally speaking. . .and I am speaking in general, can you or can you not differentiate over time those individuals who are degreed vice those who aren't?

Just wondering. . .

God that's a good question and hard to quantify.

In my experience, WISDOM trumps all, and the older you get hopefully you have more experience so who gives a damn if he's a DR. in aerodynamics. Stating that, however, I have found the older generation wishing they had some of the classes 4 year degrees teach just to understand Mach Tuck and weird little things like that better.

I tell them what I know and just wish I could remember half the stuff they've forgotten about flying doing things the hard way.

Other guys, with four year degrees, joke with me they can't remember any of that "crap" and wish they could remember it since they paid money for it. More and more, each day, I agree.

Don't have one, don't want one. I don't feel like I've missed out on much to be honest. College wasn't for me, even though I went for two years. I can't see the lack of one hindering me in my career, either. When I leave my current employer if my years of single pilot ops, 135/121 experience and countless thousands of hours of quality experience are not enough do I really want to work for those people. Reputation, integrity, experience and professionalism-thats what I'm going to count on to get the job.

Rant: had a jumpseater not to long ago, guy was in his early 40's, I'm 30 and all he could ask me about "Hey what fraternity were you in, where did you go to school, blah blah blah" and I finally had to ask him what bearing that had on anything. I'd much rather talk about the weather. Its like the HS quarterback that can't get away from his "glory days". Who cares!?

Don't have one, don't want one. I don't feel like I've missed out on much to be honest. College wasn't for me, even though I went for two years. I can't see the lack of one hindering me in my career, either. When I leave my current employer if my years of single pilot ops, 135/121 experience and countless thousands of hours of quality experience are not enough do I really want to work for those people. Reputation, integrity, experience and professionalism-thats what I'm going to count on to get the job.

Rant: had a jumpseater not to long ago, guy was in his early 40's, I'm 30 and all he could ask me about "Hey what fraternity were you in, where did you go to school, blah blah blah" and I finally had to ask him what bearing that had on anything. I'd much rather talk about the weather. Its like the HS quarterback that can't get away from his "glory days". Who cares!?

Well, you went. . .that's a plus. We all say something is better than nothing.

. . .and I guess there's no replacement for experience, which we all know. Hence the "honorary" degrees for "lifelong learning" being achieved.

Have a degree, mixed on joke/not a joke. I got a degree in Computer Science. Ever since I was a child I have always felt a "tug" towards aviation. So even during college I was flying on the side and working. I won't say that I paid 100%, but I did work for a good part of it. It was not an online degree or anything like that. I did have parents who helped me tremendously though and without their help I don't know if I would have made it. I studied hard, did everything I could to do well, yet I still only passed with a 2.9.

I learned a lot while going to college. I did some partying, a lot of studying, and "grew up" the most during those years. When I graduated it was the time when everyone was outsourcing to India and so every entry level position wanted 3-5 years experience but I couldn't get it due to I was fresh out of college, typical catch 22. I have not worked in the Computer field at all and even if I wanted to try again (which I don't), I would have to go back to school to get caught up (hence my indecisiveness on Joke/Not Joke).

Now that being said, I think that a college degree, or even some college time, is worth it. Not just for the check-mark but because of how much you grow as a person in that time. It took me a while after college (I'm only 29) to look back and see how much I had changed over the years but a HUGE part was due to my time at the university. I see some of my friends from HS and see a huge difference in who they are and who I am (No I'm not saying I think I'm better, just different).

Does having a college degree automatically mean that you are a professional?? Thats a big H*** no. Are there people out there without any college degree whom I would consider a Professional? Without a doubt. But I think that if you looked collectively, there are more "Professionals" that have a degree than without, at least this has been my experience.

With this new whole 1500 hour rule coming into play (I know, other forum) let me just say that I think that that is not an unfair rule (and I currently only have 1100TT). I had finished up my training in July of '08 and had just missed "the hiring boom." At the time, I would have been one of those wet commercial pilots flying an RJ had I been given the chance. I didn't want to instruct. I think that a lot of instructors are that way. For those instructors out there, I think you'll agree, that I have learned SO MUCH during this time that i have been teaching. Am I glad that I was "forced" to teach? Absolutely, without a doubt, and I am glad that it has worked out this way.

Part of the definition of a Professional (FOI stuff) is one who is always learning to better himself. So if people have to teach just so that they can get their 1500 hours and move on, so what?? I don't care. You learn a lot having these kids trying to kill you on a daily basis. Teaching aerodynamics, wx, radio (and radio courtesy/etiquette), and everything else that is involved over and over again might suck, but you gain such an understanding that it is invaluable.

Now I am ready to move on and gain experience on other aircraft besides Cessnas and Light Twins. Maybe 1500 is a "smidge" high for TT Requirements. I definitely believe that 250 TT is too low. Maybe more appropriate would be 1000TT. But in the grand scheme of things, you can't have too much experience in this industry and 1000 or 1500 TT is not unreasonable.

I'm sorry for the long post/rant. These are obviously just my humble opinions and I wanted to give a little bit of a background on me. This post will be posted on both threads, "Poll: College degree" and "House votes today on 1500hr rule WITH college loophole" as I think that this post qualifies for both so I apologize if you read it twice.

Mike

How about: don't have one, don't really have strong feeling one way or another. Would I have enjoyed some of the classes? Sure. I would have loved to study history in college. But in the end, I've done much better for myself by skipping college and going straight into flying. I had my job at a major by the time I was 24, and I'll spend the last 10 years of my career in the single digits on the seniority list.

Now, with that said, it was very risky to go that way. Only AirTran, SWA, and JetBlue will take pilots without degrees (unless you know someone really high up, and even that won't work at Delta). Not having the degree limits your career options. I just got lucky.

:yeahthat:

:D:D:D
How about: don't have one, don't really have strong feeling one way or another. Would I have enjoyed some of the classes? Sure. I would have loved to study history in college. But in the end, I've done much better for myself by skipping college and going straight into flying. I had my job at a major by the time I was 24, and I'll spend the last 10 years of my career in the single digits on the seniority list.

Now, with that said, it was very risky to go that way. Only AirTran, SWA, and JetBlue will take pilots without degrees (unless you know someone really high up, and even that won't work at Delta). Not having the degree limits your career options. I just got lucky.

:yeahthat:

One more...:yeahthat:...though currently completing my degree on-line...just as ATN, and Badje.. got the luck to get into an airline at a very very young age to the 737....:D

Would you want to work for Delta?

I think a college degree is a good step but not necessary. I was fortunate enough that my parents have helped me out with college. I am not however a rich stuck up college graduate, I try to be humble about things and thankful as well. I'm a recent college grad and have felt that other than classes I learned a lot in college. I think I've grown up a bit.

Now with the whole 1500TT I agree with it although it sucks as a brand new instructor. My whole mindset as a brand new CFI was to build time quickly but after some instructing I've learned so much and I am thankful to have this job. This 1500TT rule may delay any movement for myself, I am having a good time instructing and learning stuff everyday.

Would you want to work for Delta?

No, not at all. Doesn't seem like its any better of a job than at a regional. Sure theres more pay and better equipment but its nonetheless the same crappy lifestyle. Its just not for me. Plus I don't like flying people. I can make just as good a living at a freight outfit without the false high standards. When you're 35, 45 or even 60 years old what matters most up front the piece of paper from decades ago or the experience one has acquired in the course of their career? I want to work someplace where that is valued more. And those places are out there.

I wonder, as sort of mentioned in another post here, is will the government go and push a degree on the airlines as well. I mean we want to sit back and say 23 years of age, 1500 hours and an ATP rating.... We all have argued until we are blue in the face that these are some sort of magic numbers and thus make the cockpit safer (as to how I am clueless). Well how about a college degree being required for an entry level? I would not be shocked to see it be pushed by some in congress.

As to the question... I have one, it was a great time in my life. I had one hell of an experience and would not trade it for the life of me.... Now where would I be without one is another question.... Ray and I have debated this over the past few months since he's going back for his. He's been at the exact same places I have been through contacts and doing a great job in interviews as I have with a degree. But its impossible to say why one got a job and another did. If it were the fact they had a degree, were mature, impressed in an interview, had the experience, took a jet course, had a crap load of glass time... None of us know why we are where we are or what got us hired. Other then we were either hired at company A or not hired at company A....

Its a great debate... I wonder if it would help the industry as a whole to require a degree for a pilot to get hired... Raise the bar and thus demand higher wages for ALL.... Would it make it any safer by making a minimum requirement such as those that are currently being presented? I dont think so, but who the hell knows whats up next in DC....

I'm going to school right now while flying to try to finish off my degree. Funny thing is, I'd have a hard time caring less about what school is going to let me do with my career. I'm with baj on this one. If the company wants someone with a degree, more than someone with years of experience, then I'd rather steer clear.

Back