College degree

If the company wants someone with a degree, more than someone with years of experience, then I'd rather steer clear.

Not sure why it would be an either or. Isn't it more "we need x amount of experience AND a degree?"

Not sure why it would be an either or. Isn't it more "we need x amount of an experience AND a degree?"

I guess they'll be steering clear of a lot of airlines! :)

Better for the rest with degrees I gather. Can't save the world.

I have a degree and found it very helpful. Some of the classes were interesting and some teachers were great at communicating life lessons, but overall, the piece of paper is the most valuable part. I wouldnt have my current job, which is helping me pay as I go for flight training, without it. When I make the jump to professional aviation, being able to check the box will also be helpful.

Kinda makes me reflect back (to those good old day as many would call them) to the days when airline pilots were making great pay. . .but more significantly, many were degreed pilot as well. Even during the world wars, pilots were, for the most part, college grads.

What was the thought process back then? Has the philosophy changed? Even now, in the military. . .pilots, probably 99% of them are college graduates.

Piloting skills and college degrees aren't synonymous to being a good pilot, so why is the college degree preferred or a prerequisite to employment?

Filtering.

Whenever you have X spots available and X+Y applying, you're looking for anything quantifiable to add (Y-Z) to the formula.

In an employer's eyes, college does make you a more well-rounded employee and it's a qualitative, competitive trait on which to base selection.

We've been through how we "feel" about that, but in this profession, if you don't want to limit your career, you need a degree. Believe me, I felt the same way about learning Chandelles. I hated it, but if I wanted the commercial pilot's license, I had to perform them so my disdain wasn't a factor in the FAA's decision.

Plus, America doesn't need yet another HS Diploma or GED Equiv. worker trying to replace his/her income. Plenty of them to go around!

Filtering.

Whenever you have X spots available and X+Y applying, you're looking for anything quantifiable to add (Y-Z) to the formula.

In an employer's eyes, college does make you a more well-rounded employee and it's a qualitative, competitive trait on which to base selection.

We've been through how we "feel" about that, but in this profession, if you don't want to limit your career, you need a degree. Believe me, I felt the same way about learning Chandelles. I hated it, but if I wanted the commercial pilot's license, I had to perform them so my disdain wasn't a factor in the FAA's decision.

Plus, America doesn't need yet another HS Diploma or GED Equiv. worker trying to replace his/her income. Plenty of them to go around!

:yeahthat:

I'm behaving, Doug. ;)

I have a 2 year degree, but never finished the bachelor. So far, it has not hindered my career at all.

Of course, I do not work for, nor do I desire to work for, and airline. At 2 Part 135 companies and one Part 91, no one in the hiring process has ever asked if I had a degree or not.

Of course I see many job postings in the corporate world stating in the requirements section the need for a 4 year degree. Will I want one of those jobs one day? Probably. When I exceed all the other requirements will not having a 4 year degree keep me from getting the job? We will see........

Filtering.

Quoted for emphasis.

Actually it'd be a kindness if you guys without degrees kept it that way, thank you very much.
hat_tip.gif

I began flying after college, and paid for every penny of it. Was it worth it? Yes. But I tell people it is ONLY if your degree is in not in aviation science or other worthless major. If your going to spend the money to get a degree I think it may as well be in something you can fall back onto.

However it's ridiculus that the government is trying to pass this. There is nothing that 1500 or a college degree requirement will do. But its sad that there isn't a way to let the market work it out, because when a customer buys a ticket there is no telling who they are flying with.

Filtering.

100% spot on IMO. I do like to vent about what the actual education does for you, but in the end, you have to play the game. Changing a system is too hard, or even impossible. For this reason, I got my degree. It has indeed opened lots of doors for me.

In a lot of ways, I find the process of getting a degree and flying full time to do it an incredible drag. If I didn't have to get one (I don't have to for a job, but because I must get one for my own personal reasons) I think life would be significantly easier. That being said, I've learned more about who I am by working full time and going to school full time than I did when I took a year off from school to work full time. The personal discovery has been worth way way more than that of the actual educational knowledge gained.

Aviation is a very broad subject, and I'm still amazed by the things I learned in various classes that carry over daily life. I took a class on geography last year, and can narrate my tours with a little more science if needed.

I'm one class shy. Don't really feel like paying $560+ for the one class, so I'm gonna CLEP or DANTES out of my remaining upper division elective once they figure out which tests will count for which classes. I took the AP English test outta high school, which got me out of 6 hours of English comp at Mississippi State. It counted for jack and squat at ERAU, so I want to make sure what I do is actually gonna be worth my while.

Now, on the "do you need one," in the coming bloodbath that's gonna ensue once majors start hiring again, I at least want the degree so I go in the "not completely unqualified" stack.

No, not at all. Doesn't seem like its any better of a job than at a regional.

Is that a joke? All of the majors are much better jobs than the regionals. Even AirTran, a bottom rung major, has a far better QOL, compensation, and retirement package than any regional. Delta far exceeds anything you could ever hope for at XJT, EGL, ASA, or any of the others.

Didn't vote, didn't see the option I would select. Just curious, how do they check up on that degree anyways?

Call me stupid, but the transcripts are basically like your report card?

Edit: What does a two year degree do for you?

Transcripts. Most colleges won't release records without a notarized release, and thats a pain. Much easier for the carrier to require an official transcripts.. and let the applicant do the leg work. When you graduate, I recommend getting several copies to keep for yourself, it will save you some time down the road.

I'm in college, hate college, am totally unmotivated for college, drag my feet into class everyday, but feel that somewhere along the line not having a degree is going to screw me over.

I always figured the social aspect of college would keep me going, but not at community college. Nobody talks to anybody and I haven't made a single friend in the time I've been there, and that really says something given how quickly I make friends.

I'm in college, hate college, am totally unmotivated for college, drag my feet into class everyday, but feel that somewhere along the line not having a degree is going to screw me over.

I always figured the social aspect of college would keep me going, but not at community college. Nobody talks to anybody and I haven't made a single friend in the time I've been there, and that really says something given how quickly I make friends.

TIME TO GO TO THE FOUR YEAR and have some fuN! :)

Hated high school. . .Had to drag myself everyday by the short hairs in order to get that piece of paper. Went to college and life was a little better, but I chose to be there, so I did what I needed to do in order to achieve a goal. There's the cliche' you hear in most aspects of life. . ."short term sacrifice for long term gain. What I find out daily from my interactions is that my "more educated" friends/associates/relatives are much more interesting/easier to identify with moreso than my "less educated "interactions." That's generally speaking. My college education made my job skills easier than had I simply had a high school diploma. Lastly, no one with a high school diploma would be accepted for employment in the job I'm doing. I'm not saying they couldn't do it. . .if they applied, their application/resume wouldn't even be reviewed.

. . .as for friends, well. . .I don't have too many of those either, but the ones I do have are lifelong.

Back